Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP Metacast #3  (Read 49334 times)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 09:20:04 PM
So I guess what I'm saying is: Thank you, Steve. Thank you for all that you do to make these podcasts as good as they are. For having the vision. For giving of yourself and your time. For getting me (and others, I'm sure) excited about short fiction again. It is all very much appreciated.

I could not agree more.  Great job Steve thanks so much for all you do

I wish I could support EP but atm I am a 19 y/o college student which = I have no $ atm lol
I dont have much experiance w/ audio editing either so I cant help with that either
I wish there was something I could do but ya I will keep listening and spread the word when I can
thanks Steve and I am glad your life has been improving recently

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 10:09:18 PM
This is a lifesaver during my hour commute, Steve! I mean, learning about Roman history and listening to TAL are all well and good, but every now and then I just want entertainment. I wished I could help, too. I am a Mac guy, but, unfortunately, I don't have any experience in the sound-editing field. If I come by the equipment and the knowledge, though, you'll be the first to know, because I would totally dig helping out in that capacity.

jeem

• Extern
Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 10:34:36 PM
don't have to worry about my former shared hosting provider crapping out.  The custom feeds will be generated from a Ruby on Rails application that I'm writing, and any time you do anything with RSS you take the risk of heavy load because some clients check their feeds

Do you need any help on the coding?  I'm a Rails coder, and would be happy to pitch in.

jeem

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 01:05:37 AM
Not to belabour some points made by posters above more eloquently: humbling and inspiring, beautiful and tragic.

I never really thought about the monthly subscription as going towards both EP and PP. I was actually beginning to feeling guilty for supporting only EP but listening to both.

Frankly, I was a little disappointed when I heard the first Audible.com ad. I had been a member there, but the proprietary player bugged me, especially when trying to load files onto my HP Ipaq. The free offer, however, got me to sign up again. And this metacast has underlined why I should support those who advertise on Escape Artists podcasts.

A thought: there's a local community radio station that I listen to occasionally. It runs announcements which encourage supporters to patronize the businesses who advertise on the station - and tell the advertisers why. The advice is not to say "Tell them you heard it on X" but "Tell them you are supporting their business because they support X, and you think X is important." Given Steve's stated philosophy of advertising, it's fairly implicit that only advertisers that align with the audience are likely to appear, but telling the advertisers that is important, too.

It's great to know that amidst your chaos, YOU are having fun doing Escape Pod, because I know I have fun listening.

Thanks again, Steve.

JoeFitz

600south

• Palmer
Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 01:57:42 AM
Hey Steve, i'm really sorry to hear about the shit you had to go through. As someone who's been in similar situations, I can say i empathize. I never managed to start a podcast with 20,000 subscribers, though.  ;)

Speaking of which, you certainly got your priorities right when you chose Escape Pod over the job, even if the decision was, erm, not 100% a conscious one. There are new millionaires created every day. Guys who run podcasts with thousands of listeners and reinvigorate the SF mass market are less common. The fact that you still managed to do it every week while everything else was going on shows that you're pro already.

Best of luck for the future and nolite te bastardes carborundorum. i promise to change my freeloading ways.

mjn9

• Extern
Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 02:09:15 AM
I don't need an email or thank you gifts.  The stories are great (and I wouldn't get those things from a magazine either).

I do wish I could pay directly with a credit card and not just through PayPal- I'm not a fan of that service and won't use it.

Firedust

• Extern
  • Firefly + Stardust
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 02:54:41 AM
First off Steve, I'd like to say thanks for making Escape Pod all these years. I think you've done a great job so far considering you've done this mostly yourself.

As for advertisements, I have some suggestions.
  • Shorter = better. 15 seconds = more than enough. Any longer will just annoy listeners. Ads should be short and sweet about what the product is and why it's so great.
  • Have ads at the end, not the beginning. I still listen to ads at the end but for some reason they are less annoying at the end. Also, if they want me to buy some product or sign up for some service, I'm more likely to do it at the end of the podcast and I won't remember if the ad was at the beginning.
  • Run ads that EP listeners would find interesting. You're doing a good job on this so far so I won't say anything else about it.
  • Don't narrate the ads yourself. Either get an "ad guy" or have the companies submit ads they've already narrated. To understand this, see if you can remember ever listening to the radio, and the host of the radio station promotes some type of crazy weight loss pills, saying, "I lost 20 lbs with this program." Lots of respect is lost for the host, even though it's obvious he's paid to do the ad. Whereas if some crazy weight loss ad comes on during the ad portion of the radio show, no respect is lost for the hosts of the show no matter how much the ad sounds like a scam.
  • You can mention the ad in your intro if you have something to say about it, and even briefly thank the sponsors if it's the first week of the ad, but don't go out of your way promoting their product or service. It makes the podcast feel like an infocommercial on late night TV. In my humble opinion, good products and services largely sell themselves once customers know about them, don't beat us over the head praising them.
  • On that note, try not to repeat the same ad two or more weeks in a row, if possible. I sometimes listen to Escape Pod stories back to back, and it's annoying to listen to the same ad over and over again. Do something; vary the ad, or put it on a rotating basis like once every three weeks.

Also, I'd like to briefly mention the mental health issue. In my opinion, anyone under heavy stress can become very depressed and despairing. That's why torturing people is so bad, as compared to normal punishments like prison or fines or loss of privileges. I don't think you have to call it an illness or disease. Although depression from tough times is a very serious issue, which I think you are going the right direction in treating, I wouldn't put it on the same level as something like multiple personality disorder or mental retardation.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new direction of Escape Pod and the upcoming Pod Castle, so keep up the good work.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 04:08:00 AM
First off Steve, I'd like to say thanks for making Escape Pod all these years. I think you've done a great job so far considering you've done this mostly yourself.

As for advertisements, I have some suggestions.
  • Shorter = better. 15 seconds = more than enough. Any longer will just annoy listeners. Ads should be short and sweet about what the product is and why it's so great.
  • Have ads at the end, not the beginning. I still listen to ads at the end but for some reason they are less annoying at the end. Also, if they want me to buy some product or sign up for some service, I'm more likely to do it at the end of the podcast and I won't remember if the ad was at the beginning.
  • Run ads that EP listeners would find interesting. You're doing a good job on this so far so I won't say anything else about it.
  • Don't narrate the ads yourself. Either get an "ad guy" or have the companies submit ads they've already narrated. To understand this, see if you can remember ever listening to the radio, and the host of the radio station promotes some type of crazy weight loss pills, saying, "I lost 20 lbs with this program." Lots of respect is lost for the host, even though it's obvious he's paid to do the ad. Whereas if some crazy weight loss ad comes on during the ad portion of the radio show, no respect is lost for the hosts of the show no matter how much the ad sounds like a scam.
  • You can mention the ad in your intro if you have something to say about it, and even briefly thank the sponsors if it's the first week of the ad, but don't go out of your way promoting their product or service. It makes the podcast feel like an infocommercial on late night TV. In my humble opinion, good products and services largely sell themselves once customers know about them, don't beat us over the head praising them.
  • On that note, try not to repeat the same ad two or more weeks in a row, if possible. I sometimes listen to Escape Pod stories back to back, and it's annoying to listen to the same ad over and over again. Do something; vary the ad, or put it on a rotating basis like once every three weeks.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new direction of Escape Pod and the upcoming Pod Castle, so keep up the good work.

Except almost all of what you say concerning ads is broken by TWIT in the podcast realm and Prairie Home Companion in the radio realm. Long ads can work if they're good, and so can ones narrated by the narrator. As for the crazy ad bit it's pretty clear Steve isn't advertising anything he wouldn't buy, which takes care of the crazy weight loss stuff. A long ad/testimonial works fine so long as it's clearly delineated from the content and the audience is sure it's not editorial. And for most companies ad-buys work in blocks, so it would be rowing upstream to try for every-other week. Up front ads bring in more money, and are a lot easier to sell than ones at the end.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Mad Maxx

• Extern
Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 04:27:42 AM
Well, this update made me finally register on the forums and all.

I found EscapePod about 6 months ago.  And I havent stopped listening since.  I even have gone back and am working my way up from EP #1 to about #100 (which was the last-ish one left on the Main Feed with I found it) just to get all that I can.  It is just that good.  Heck, Im working on catching up on PesudoPod and am greatly looking forward to PodCastle when it starts.

And I think it is about time that I start contributing to this great Podcast.  Ill be looking into setting up my PayPal to start some sort of donations.

Keep up the amazing work Steve.  This is one Podcast I look forward to every week and love listening to every week.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 07:16:06 PM
Thanks for the update man, and I'm glad to hear things are on the up-and-up for you.

Likely people have said it before, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to find the strength to change.

Very much looking forward to the future of the entire Pod family. ;)

forty-one-bravo

• Extern
Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:52 PM
Just wanted to add my support as well. Escapepod has done loads for me, it has inspired me, lifted me, provoked thoughts and reflections on this society that we find ourselves in. The editorial for 'The Giving Plague' encouraged me and it pleases me to hear 'Have Fun'.

As for support, I spread the word, perhaps even bug the hell out of people with mp3 players and EP is the first that I plug.
I second the request direct contribution, paypal and visa scare the crap out of me, being at the lower end of the pay scale. (people still need paper money; and soapbox put away again, breathe, breathe and relax.)

Either way I am proud to be one of the twenty thousand, and look forward to more; much, much more, now it's going to be 'expletive professional'. Congratulations on the epiphany, from my experience it's lovely when it shines through.

Regards
41B

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:03 PM
Ladies and gentlemen lets give it up for Anna!!!!!!   :)

Faldor

• Extern
    • Broken Biscuit Productions
Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:18 PM
Faldors list of top heroes...

• 1. Mal Reynolds
  • 2. Steve Eley
  • 3. Han Solo

Steve, I've sent you an email regarding editing.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #53 on: March 14, 2008, 05:27:44 PM
Do you need any help on the coding?  I'm a Rails coder, and would be happy to pitch in.

Actually, I might very well take you up on that.  I've started thinking that a team development effort would get some of this done faster, even for relatively small apps like the ones I have i mind -- but I'm not at the point yet where I can even take the time to have a decent requirements session with somebody else.  I have all the user stories on index cards in my pocket, and some CRC-style data modeling, but that doesn't help you if you can't see them.

Do me a favor and e-mail me with your name and contact info, and we'll talk within a couple weeks.  Same goes for anyone else who wants to do Rails stuff for us.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #54 on: March 14, 2008, 05:28:16 PM
Ladies and gentlemen lets give it up for Anna!!!!!!   :)

FNH is my new favorite person for today.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #55 on: March 15, 2008, 06:09:28 AM
Just got a chance to hear the metacast driving home from a friend's house.

Steve, you may remember when I first donated.  I mentioned that Escape Pod was my lifeline to sanity with all the crazy crap that was going on in my life then.

I'm still trying to transition my life towards a dream - just like you have been.   

$1/week?   No problem.   I don't need that extra cup of coffee.  I need Escape Pod.   And you deserve to realize your dreams.

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #56 on: March 15, 2008, 10:29:20 PM
iTunes won't download the episode for me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 03:39:33 PM
Don't know if its just a coincidence or anything that this is the point where I finally caught up on the stories.  I subscribed a couple months ago and have been listening when I could to each story in chronological order.  I really appreciate all the time you have put into this podcast and I want to say that for the non-sponsored proprietary type podcasts I have heard, this is one of the best.  Back in 2004 or so when I first discovered podcasts, I searched all over the place for a short story type podcast and couldn't find it. When I finally tried again this year this one and Psuedopod were the first I found and I've enjoyed both immensely.  Keep up the good work and I'll do what I can to support.
Welcome!
What other stories did you like?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

a savvy mammal

• Extern
Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 04:29:17 PM
Steve. 

You're great.  Though I've listened faithfully for almost a year now, this is my first post on the forums.  Your sincere and candid approach of addressing your situation really stirred something in me.  I want to thank you for it.  As of this morning I'm now a proud $5 per month supporter of the pod cast.

-Dakota

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 09:11:32 PM
Ouch.  Losing a job is unpleasant.  Losing a good job must really hurt.  (And on a selfish note, I suppose that means that there won't be any business trips to London in the near future.  I imagine we can organize our own EP listeners' social events if there's demand for them.)

I just want to say what effect the opening bars of the Escape Pod title music has on me each week.  Wherever I am (actually, usually I'm late and running for the train), hearing the Daikaiju theme signals at least half an hour of pure me time.  I know that at worst I'll be entertained, and there's every chance that by the end of the episode I'll be thrilled, moved or even totally blown away.  There's the anticipation of hearing a brand new story (will it be violent or humorous, flashy or subtle, geeky or humane?) backed up by the comfort of knowing that if it's been chosen for Escape Pod, it will be good.

Steve, you're probably too close to the production process to get that buzz from the finished product (although I'm sure you get a different kind of kick from every one that makes it out the door).  Just think what it's like when you look forward to a new episode of a favourite TV show, whether for you that's new BSG or new Dr Who or, back in the day, new Star Trek or new Firefly.  That's the excitement of firing up a new Escape Pod, and it's been there week after week for nearly the last three years.  For that gift, I can't thank you enough.