Author Topic: EP Metacast #3  (Read 62017 times)

forty-one-bravo

• Extern
Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 08:48:52 PM
Just wanted to add my support as well. Escapepod has done loads for me, it has inspired me, lifted me, provoked thoughts and reflections on this society that we find ourselves in. The editorial for 'The Giving Plague' encouraged me and it pleases me to hear 'Have Fun'.

As for support, I spread the word, perhaps even bug the hell out of people with mp3 players and EP is the first that I plug.
I second the request direct contribution, paypal and visa scare the crap out of me, being at the lower end of the pay scale. (people still need paper money; and soapbox put away again, breathe, breathe and relax.)

Either way I am proud to be one of the twenty thousand, and look forward to more; much, much more, now it's going to be 'expletive professional'. Congratulations on the epiphany, from my experience it's lovely when it shines through.

Regards
41B

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:03 PM
Ladies and gentlemen lets give it up for Anna!!!!!!   :)

Faldor

• Extern
    • Broken Biscuit Productions
Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 11:34:18 PM
Faldors list of top heroes...

• 1. Mal Reynolds
  • 2. Steve Eley
  • 3. Han Solo

Steve, I've sent you an email regarding editing.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #53 on: March 14, 2008, 05:27:44 PM
Do you need any help on the coding?  I'm a Rails coder, and would be happy to pitch in.

Actually, I might very well take you up on that.  I've started thinking that a team development effort would get some of this done faster, even for relatively small apps like the ones I have i mind -- but I'm not at the point yet where I can even take the time to have a decent requirements session with somebody else.  I have all the user stories on index cards in my pocket, and some CRC-style data modeling, but that doesn't help you if you can't see them.

Do me a favor and e-mail me with your name and contact info, and we'll talk within a couple weeks.  Same goes for anyone else who wants to do Rails stuff for us.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #54 on: March 14, 2008, 05:28:16 PM
Ladies and gentlemen lets give it up for Anna!!!!!!   :)

FNH is my new favorite person for today.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #55 on: March 15, 2008, 06:09:28 AM
Just got a chance to hear the metacast driving home from a friend's house.

Steve, you may remember when I first donated.  I mentioned that Escape Pod was my lifeline to sanity with all the crazy crap that was going on in my life then.

I'm still trying to transition my life towards a dream - just like you have been.   

$1/week?   No problem.   I don't need that extra cup of coffee.  I need Escape Pod.   And you deserve to realize your dreams.

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #56 on: March 15, 2008, 10:29:20 PM
iTunes won't download the episode for me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #57 on: March 16, 2008, 03:39:33 PM
Don't know if its just a coincidence or anything that this is the point where I finally caught up on the stories.  I subscribed a couple months ago and have been listening when I could to each story in chronological order.  I really appreciate all the time you have put into this podcast and I want to say that for the non-sponsored proprietary type podcasts I have heard, this is one of the best.  Back in 2004 or so when I first discovered podcasts, I searched all over the place for a short story type podcast and couldn't find it. When I finally tried again this year this one and Psuedopod were the first I found and I've enjoyed both immensely.  Keep up the good work and I'll do what I can to support.
Welcome!
What other stories did you like?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

a savvy mammal

• Extern
Reply #58 on: March 16, 2008, 04:29:17 PM
Steve. 

You're great.  Though I've listened faithfully for almost a year now, this is my first post on the forums.  Your sincere and candid approach of addressing your situation really stirred something in me.  I want to thank you for it.  As of this morning I'm now a proud $5 per month supporter of the pod cast.

-Dakota

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #59 on: March 16, 2008, 09:11:32 PM
Ouch.  Losing a job is unpleasant.  Losing a good job must really hurt.  (And on a selfish note, I suppose that means that there won't be any business trips to London in the near future.  I imagine we can organize our own EP listeners' social events if there's demand for them.)

I just want to say what effect the opening bars of the Escape Pod title music has on me each week.  Wherever I am (actually, usually I'm late and running for the train), hearing the Daikaiju theme signals at least half an hour of pure me time.  I know that at worst I'll be entertained, and there's every chance that by the end of the episode I'll be thrilled, moved or even totally blown away.  There's the anticipation of hearing a brand new story (will it be violent or humorous, flashy or subtle, geeky or humane?) backed up by the comfort of knowing that if it's been chosen for Escape Pod, it will be good.

Steve, you're probably too close to the production process to get that buzz from the finished product (although I'm sure you get a different kind of kick from every one that makes it out the door).  Just think what it's like when you look forward to a new episode of a favourite TV show, whether for you that's new BSG or new Dr Who or, back in the day, new Star Trek or new Firefly.  That's the excitement of firing up a new Escape Pod, and it's been there week after week for nearly the last three years.  For that gift, I can't thank you enough.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #60 on: March 16, 2008, 09:46:27 PM
You know, I don't think we could overdo the point if all 20,000 of us logged in and posted the same thought: every WEEK for three years?  Steve, if THAT isn't f***ing professional, then I don't know what is!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Mama Cat

• Extern
Reply #61 on: March 17, 2008, 01:29:42 PM
Hey Steve,

I'm newish to Escape Pod and still working my way through lots & lots of back episodes. And I have to say two things:

1) I look forward to when Escape Pod gets to the top of my podcast queue again. There is so much really good SF being written and a lot of it makes its way to your show. The production values are high, and it is always a great listen. I am impressed and grateful.
2) I have been where you are. My husband is pretty much there now. It is very, very hard - and I'm glad you're getting help. My wish for you is that you're able to stay tough with yourself. It was brave to share your story with 20,000 listeners and again I am impressed and grateful.

I'm going to toddle over to the webpage and find that "donate" button because I have absolutely no technical skills that I can contribute. But the content is worth paying for, though I totally support keeping it free!!  So I don't mind paying a bit extra to help support those folks who really can't afford to pay.

Grayven

• Palmer
Reply #62 on: March 17, 2008, 10:56:13 PM
Here's a random silly idea. You probly shouldna use it, just bounce it around and see if you can make a better idea of it.

You know that computer voice that begins the eps with a number and the name of the story? Replace that with a paid user. Do some sort of lottery. Then the paid user gets to be part of the episode (albeit a small part).

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #63 on: March 17, 2008, 11:29:42 PM
Here's a random silly idea. You probly shouldna use it, just bounce it around and see if you can make a better idea of it.

You know that computer voice that begins the eps with a number and the name of the story? Replace that with a paid user. Do some sort of lottery. Then the paid user gets to be part of the episode (albeit a small part).

WNYC's Radio Lab does this via the answering machine, but with people interviewed during the program.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #64 on: March 18, 2008, 04:09:54 PM
I was a monthly subscriber for a long time but during a hard point in my own life I was forced to cancel it.  Well thanks for reminding me it's time to restart it.  I enjoy Escape Pod immensely.  It is by far one of my favorite podcasts.  Thanks Steve and know you're not alone.  Good luck!

Yossarian's grandson

• Palmer
  • Wisdom is knowing when to jump
Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 11:00:10 AM
Hi Steve,

I just listened to the MetaCast and I wanted to let you know: much love and respect for all the work you've done. Please, never forget, you have (and are) touching so many people with your work; I have nothing but respect for that.

We do not know each other personally. So I can't honestly judge wether you're a good person in all aspects of your life (who is all the time, anyway?). But Escape Artists and everything it entails is great. In every way. You bring top notch entertainment, clear the way for other podcasters and you have created a community of users that, for the first time, makes me feel at home in a forum-site.

Please don't ever doubt the worth of this. It is something extraordinary. And you make it all happen.

Salutations from the other side of the Atlantic (The Netherlands)!

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 05:38:31 PM
Steve- Wow, man.  I don't even know where to start.   I've been a listener for little more than a year, an I couldn't be more impressed with EP (and PP).  The work you're doing is of the highest quality, and the fact that you have produced something of such every week for three years is a testament to what a professional you already are.  You've never been anything but.  (No, we can't tell you that enough.)
While the stories are what originally drew me to EP, I want to say I love your intros and outros just as much (especially geek dad, can we get another one of those?).  When I heard you say the bit about having the worst day of your life, I was surprised at how emotional a response I had- of how much I could care for and worry over a family I'd never met or spoken to. (Speaking of, how are you? The other day I heard of the tornado in Atlanta and thought of you guys.)  I'm glad to hear you have someone like Anna, and appreciate her.  Anna, thank you. 
I haven't donated before (college student, legendarily cheap), but I was wondering, for all of us who don't trust paypal or would rather not have anyone take a chunk out of our donation- is it still acceptable to mail you a check? If so you can expect one from me soon.  The work you're doing is important and deserving of whatever extra cash I have.  I hope some day you can podcast professionally (or write, whichever you prefer. But I hope you never stop doing either.) You are talented, and that should be appreciated.
I have always tried to tell people about EP, and though I don't have a blog, have gotten my friends to blog about you.  My donation is on it's way.  Now all I need's a T-shirt to help me advertise. :)
EP and PP are important parts of my life.  They have brought me so much and asked nothing in return.  Thank you so much, Steve (and the rest of the EP crew) for all you've done to enrich my life and the lives of others.  You are awesome, and I wish you nothing but the best. 

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

jkr

• Extern
Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 02:50:41 AM
Steve,

Long time listener, first time caller :),  like many others I just listened to the metacast, and wanted you to know that I finally took a moment to get my donations going in the tip jar.

I don't know that I have much else new to add to the thread, but want to echo that I think its great how you've described your priorities.  I have a family too, and I only hope that if I ever hit the wall you described, I'm in one piece and can say I still have them by my side - you can rebuild almost anything else.

Also FWIW, you sound very focussed and purposeful on your plans around escape artists.  I'm sure I don't need to quote Joseph Campbell to you, but aligning your efforts to your "bliss" sounds like a great plan.  Might hurt to be disconnected from a good software startup, but most "successful" people talk about the moment they turned their passion into their vocation as a big turning point, so I wish you all the best in this step forward.

Good luck, I'll keep listening and spreading the word!

JK

tarmo

• Extern
Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 09:02:55 AM
Greetings from Finland, Steve. I've been listening to Escape Pod for a bit over a year now (as well as catching up on the old episodes via the Classic feed), and will definitely subscribe to Podcastle when it launches. I trust you'll let us know in your intro when the feed url is available.

I must say that listening to your metacast on my way to work was more profound that most (but not all) of the actual episodes. As a psychologist, I'm happy you're doing therapy - I've been in therapy myself, and it's been the best value for money I've ever had. I really think everyone should do at least a short session of a suitably oriented therapy at some point in their lives to learn about themselves. So I wish you an eventful and successful journey, both in your personal life and building up Escape Artists.

And yes, I'll get my donations rolling in regularly. :)

Sanpaco

• Extern
Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 05:05:16 PM
Don't know if its just a coincidence or anything that this is the point where I finally caught up on the stories.  I subscribed a couple months ago and have been listening when I could to each story in chronological order.  I really appreciate all the time you have put into this podcast and I want to say that for the non-sponsored proprietary type podcasts I have heard, this is one of the best.  Back in 2004 or so when I first discovered podcasts, I searched all over the place for a short story type podcast and couldn't find it. When I finally tried again this year this one and Psuedopod were the first I found and I've enjoyed both immensely.  Keep up the good work and I'll do what I can to support.
Welcome!
What other stories did you like?
Thanks!  I've liked a lot of the stories I've heard so far.  One of the first ones I heard was Nightfall and that one got me hooked.  Awesome.  I have enjoyed most of the ones read by Steve because he does such a good job with them.  I really can't think of any other specific ones but again I have enjoyed most of the stories. 

After looking at some of the past titles here is a list of some of the most memorable ones:
Kin
Friction
Pressure
The Color of a Brontosaurus
Astromonkeys!
Stu
Me and My Shadow (This one was GREAT!)
Sparks in a Cold War
What We Learned From This Morning's Paper
Save Me Plz
The Sundial Brigade
Ej-Es
Conversations with and About my Electric Toothbrush
Ishamel in Love (reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide, probably just because of the dolphin theme; So long and thanks for all the fish...)
The Giving Plague
Frankie the Spook
8 Episodes
The House Beyond Your Sky
Impossible Dreams (inspired me to FINALLY watch Citizen Kane)

I think that goes back to the first episode I heard which was Start the Clock.  I didn't hate this episode but there have been much better ones I've heard.  I enjoy this podcast so much because it takes a medium that I've really wanted to dive into being SciFi short stories but haven't really had the time to because I don't often have time to sit down and read.  But I spend at least two hours a day driving and at least another hour walking around campus so I have plenty of time to listen to my ipod.  I have heard some great stories and books this way including Escapepod but also including some great classics from librivox.org which only posts stories in the public domain so they are all 100% free and shareable.  They have stories from authors like Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Dante, F. Scott Fitzgerald, C.S. Lewis, and many others.  Also I've listened to The Shining audiobook for the first time after having seen the Kubrick adaptation numerous times and it has to be one of the best books I've ever read.  I've also discovered the 7th Son trilogy through podcasting and all the other podiobooks and babblebooks podcast audiobooks that are available for free.  I have so many audiobooks to listen to that I have filled up about 100 GB on my External Hard drive with just one folder: "To Be Listened To".  I'm trying to catch up on all my serial short story podcasts first though and Escape Pod is the first one I've been able to.  I'm working now on Librivox and Pseudopod.  So much great fiction and so little time!

Russell Nash

Reply #70 on: March 20, 2008, 07:06:25 PM
Greetings from Finland, Steve. I've been listening to Escape Pod for a bit over a year now (as well as catching up on the old episodes via the Classic feed), and will definitely subscribe to Podcastle when it launches. I trust you'll let us know in your intro when the feed url is available.

Escape Archive is a fan run feed where you can get all of the episodes that are no longer on the regular feed.

PodCastle feed: http://feeds.escapeartists.net/PodCastle_Main

aklarand

• Extern
Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 08:25:58 PM
Steve,

I've been a listener for the whole run. I've lived with EP for that long and just really love everything that it does for the world. I'm a software developer. I build things every day that have some kind of impact on people and their lives so I know something about the scope of change and effect. That being said, I have to say that nothing that I will likely ever do will bring such a positive influence into the world. You have, by fiat, grace, and the support of your family, friends, and colleagues, built a new and thriving market for fiction. Seriously. Built a market for fiction. That's insane. I know dozens or hundreds of people who would kill for the opportunity to do that. Amazingly, it's really a pauper's lifestyle so dedicating yourself to a modest income at most for a long time is even more nuts.

I just wanted to tell you that you matter and you're making a difference. I'm so glad that you've straightened out the priorities in your life. I'm so happy that you have the support of a wife who really cares and will stand by you. I really know how much that matters. (Without them, we are lost, non?) I'm glad that because of your determination and the support that you have that my world will continue to be a little happier every time I hear the opening riffs of EP. Your gift and dedication is appreciated more that you will ever know.

Thank you.
     -Mike (new monthly subscriber)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #72 on: March 23, 2008, 03:29:12 AM
I first discovered Escape Pod late last year.  I loved the idea, and started working my way forward through the archives, listening to it while out on a walk, riding the subway, or on the treadmill at the gym.   

Metacast #3 came out just as I got all caught up.

I'm a person with some severe time management issues.  I have a knack for focusing my attention on problems which are really not important, while ignoring ones which are.  Steve's metacast really hit home for me... and it was more inspiring than a very well-written EP story.

Thank you.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:47 PM
You know that computer voice that begins the eps with a number and the name of the story? Replace that with a paid user.
:o
Then poor Vicki would be out on the street. I'm sure she depends on the regular EP gig for rent money.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Firedust

• Extern
  • Firefly + Stardust
Reply #74 on: March 27, 2008, 12:40:53 AM
First off Steve, I'd like to say thanks for making Escape Pod all these years. I think you've done a great job so far considering you've done this mostly yourself.

As for advertisements, I have some suggestions.
  • Shorter = better. 15 seconds = more than enough. Any longer will just annoy listeners. Ads should be short and sweet about what the product is and why it's so great.
  • Have ads at the end, not the beginning. I still listen to ads at the end but for some reason they are less annoying at the end. Also, if they want me to buy some product or sign up for some service, I'm more likely to do it at the end of the podcast and I won't remember if the ad was at the beginning.
  • Run ads that EP listeners would find interesting. You're doing a good job on this so far so I won't say anything else about it.
  • Don't narrate the ads yourself. Either get an "ad guy" or have the companies submit ads they've already narrated. To understand this, see if you can remember ever listening to the radio, and the host of the radio station promotes some type of crazy weight loss pills, saying, "I lost 20 lbs with this program." Lots of respect is lost for the host, even though it's obvious he's paid to do the ad. Whereas if some crazy weight loss ad comes on during the ad portion of the radio show, no respect is lost for the hosts of the show no matter how much the ad sounds like a scam.
  • You can mention the ad in your intro if you have something to say about it, and even briefly thank the sponsors if it's the first week of the ad, but don't go out of your way promoting their product or service. It makes the podcast feel like an infocommercial on late night TV. In my humble opinion, good products and services largely sell themselves once customers know about them, don't beat us over the head praising them.
  • On that note, try not to repeat the same ad two or more weeks in a row, if possible. I sometimes listen to Escape Pod stories back to back, and it's annoying to listen to the same ad over and over again. Do something; vary the ad, or put it on a rotating basis like once every three weeks.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new direction of Escape Pod and the upcoming Pod Castle, so keep up the good work.

Except almost all of what you say concerning ads is broken by TWIT in the podcast realm and Prairie Home Companion in the radio realm. Long ads can work if they're good, and so can ones narrated by the narrator. As for the crazy ad bit it's pretty clear Steve isn't advertising anything he wouldn't buy, which takes care of the crazy weight loss stuff. A long ad/testimonial works fine so long as it's clearly delineated from the content and the audience is sure it's not editorial. And for most companies ad-buys work in blocks, so it would be rowing upstream to try for every-other week. Up front ads bring in more money, and are a lot easier to sell than ones at the end.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, my internet has been down since last post.

But I wanted to say, I'm well aware of the many issues concerning ads, and why things are done a certain way. I'm also aware of what TWIT and Prairie Home Companion have done, and I'm actually hoping Escape Pod doesn't go down that same path.

I actually stopped listening to the Prairie Home Companion podcast, partly because of that annoying mattress ad that played at the beginning of the podcast every week. Even though I know that Mr. Keillor was paid to do those ads, I still lose some respect for him and his show.

As for TWIT, I'm not really a fan how Leo sneaks ads into the middle of podcast and they end up talking half the show about audible.com. Again, I know it's just an ad but it gets annoying after a while. Also, it feels kind of insulting to the listener, as if the only way anyone would listen to ads is if they are in the smack dab middle of the content.

I just finished listening to episode 149, and so far I think I've liked the way Escape Pod has done its ads. Brief mention (10 sec) of getting a sponsor at the beginning of the podcast, very brief lead in to the ad (4 sec) and a reasonable length ad (1min 5 sec). Mr. Eley rambled a little at the end, but it was mostly about the relationship between podcasts and the publishing industry in general, not directly promoting the product. He let a well-produced narrated ad do most of the promoting, and I think that works the best for everyone.

I'm not usually one to pick apart episodes, but I feel that some methods for introducing ads are clearly better than others without making the ads any less effective. In TV and radio, I think the most effective ads are ones that either make you laugh while promoting a product, or ones that make a product seem really cool. All while not annoying the consumers so we don't harbor a grudge against products with annoying ads. In podcast world, I listen to my podcasts much more closely than I do TV, radio, web pages, or really anything else. That means they can either reach me much easier or annoy me much easier.