Author Topic: EP751: More Than Simple Steel  (Read 1296 times)

divs

on: October 04, 2020, 04:57:15 AM
Escape Pod 751: More Than Simple Steel

Author: Aimee Ogden
Narrator: Peter Behravesh
Host: Premee Mohamed
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

Escape Pod 751: More Than Simple Steel is an Escape Pod original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Micah misses the adults most when he wakes up each morning. Part of him is still waiting for the buzz of an alarm clock and the smell of toaster waffles to coax him up from sleep. But it’s been four years, and there is no mother to nudge him awake.

He sits up on his mattress and scratches crust from his eyes. The bedsheets smell like sweat and grass; is it laundry day today? He’s the closest thing to an adult under the roof of Grand Avenue Elementary, and if he says it’s laundry day, then it will be.

Clothes on, shoes on. Everyone has to wear shoes all the time. That’s the rule, ever since Marco got tetanus last year and they all thought he was going to die. It was the worst sickness they’d seen since the flops cleared out all the adults. Micah doesn’t know what he’ll do when something worse sweeps through.

The door of the teachers’ lounge–he can’t stop thinking of it as the teachers’ lounge, even though there are no teachers here and not much time for lounging–clicks quietly shut behind him. Then he moves down the hallway, opening doors, calling names. “Fabián, garden. Jack, laundry. Vee, babysitting. Carrie, fishing.”

Listen to this week's EscapePod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 01:01:28 AM
I liked the story fine, but it was a bit too much like Michael Grant's Gone series for that not to constantly be creeping into my enjoyment. Also, despite the fact that I really liked the "let's find a peaceful solution" ending, I did find the delivery a bit heavy-handed. But, enjoyable, none-the-less.