Author Topic: PseudoPod 725: The Lonesome Place  (Read 1011 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 12, 2020, 08:55:29 PM
PseudoPod 725: The Lonesome Place

Author: August Derleth
Narrator: Andrew Leman
Host: Alex Hofelich
Audio Producer: Marty Perrett

“The Lonesome Place” was first published in Famous Fantastic Mysteries (February 1948) and collected in Lonesome Places (1962).

Show Notes
Submitted for the Approval of the Midnight Pals: https://gumroad.com/l/UEPhV

You who sit in your houses of nights, you who sit in the theatres, you who are gay at dances and parties—all you who are enclosed by four walls—you have no conception of what goes on outside in the dark. In the lonesome places. And there are so many of them, all over—in the country, in the small towns, in the cities. If you were out in the evenings, in the night, you would know about them, you would pass them and wonder, perhaps, and if you were a small boy you might be frightened . . . frightened the way Johnny Newell and I were frightened, the way thousands of small boys from one end of the country to the other are being frightened when they have to go out alone at night, past lonesome places, dark and lightless, sombre and haunted. . . .

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:05:09 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 08:19:23 PM
Very nice. I've never read much by Derleth, I'm afraid. I've been meaning to check out his Sherlock Holmes pastiches for years, but I've never gotten around to it.

P.S. The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft audiobook by the HPLHS folks is available at Amazon right now for 25 bucks. Can't beat that.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:48:08 PM
This was fantastic, purple prose. The moment IT was described as a scaled creature, it's sting vanished. I had my MY The Lonesome Place. It was in Cresent Beach, 24 Avenue down to the beach stairs.

Clueless mothers. Violence-prone fathers. The Lonesome Places. Yep... that was 1970-1980 for me.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.