Author Topic: Film Poll Meets the Wolfman XXIII  (Read 8239 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:45 PM
And as predicted, the Star Trek vote was split last week. BttF won by one vote. If the Trekkies had rallied behind WoK it would have won by one vote instead.

This week we have a sci-fi classic, a horror classic, Neil Gaiman's recent fantasy adventure, and a fairly faithful story of real life space drama. And the countdown to week 30 and the end of the film poll begins...

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:40:14 PM
Again, fond of 'em all.  But this time?  It's Apollo 13.  It's one of the best acted, best directed movies I've ever seen and I cry like a big wuss EVERY time it gets to the end.  EVERY.TIME.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:12:42 AM
Another tough round... I went with the delightful Stardust, partly because my 11-year-old and I had so much fun watching it together.

It was interesting to see her reaction to DeNiro's "Capt. Shakespeare", since she's never seen him in any of his tough guy roles.

But it was a close race with Apollo 13...

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:30:32 AM
Cripes, I've seen every one of these!

Normally I just vote for the one I've seen, or at least the one my friends tell me is the best. Now I've got to think.

Damn you, damn you all to heck!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:29:28 AM
Gotta go with Stardust, Captain Shakespeare was just... far too good, and also had a point to the character.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 05:07:49 AM
Gotta go with Stardust, Captain Shakespeare was just... far too good, and also had a point to the character.
I had to go with Stardust as well ... the changes from Gaiman's novel worked better on the screen than the originally-written counterparts would have.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:18:18 PM
Again, fond of 'em all.  But this time?  It's Apollo 13.  It's one of the best acted, best directed movies I've ever seen and I cry like a big wuss EVERY time it gets to the end.  EVERY.TIME.
I can't believe we're the only two people who voted for this!
Actually, I guess I can.  These are all great films, but I would have thought Apollo 13 would have garnered more support.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:34:53 PM

Damn you, damn you all to heck!

Damn dirty apes!

I went with Apollo 13 also.  Loved that flick.  Seen them all except for Stardust.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 04:16:56 PM
I went with Close Encounters, though I could have just as easily gone with Back to the Future or Stardust.  But Close Encounters, man, when the kid got taken.  That was some freaky, freaky stuff.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:40 AM
For me it was a hard call between Stardust and Apollo 13.  Both excellent movies - and very, very different. 

Stardust is very different from the book, which I adore.  I don't think the best things from the book really made it in the movie.  On the other hand, the best things in the movie weren't in the book.  Both are great for the mediums they are in. 

Apollo 13 is the world's best SF movie that, uh, isn't SF.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 05:10:14 PM
For me it was a tossup between Close Encounters and Apollo 13, ending up with a vote for Close Encounters.

One thing that impressed me about Apollo 13 is how they maintained the suspense in spite of the fact that everybody in the audience knew (or should have known) that they all made it back okay. I guess that's an issue in most historic dramas that focus on the well-known real-life characters.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Russell Nash

Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 06:10:26 PM
And the countdown to week 30 and the end of the film poll begins...

What kind of playoffs are you going to have?  How are we going to choose our final winner?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:50 PM
The plan is to take all the poll winners, and as many of the second place finishers as is necessary to round it out, and put them in groups.  The winners of the groups will go 1 vs. 1 until we have a victor.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 07:08:52 PM
Maybe this should be shunted to the Contests forum so that it doesn't take over Gallimaufry.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 07:19:49 PM
Maybe this should be shunted to the Contests forum so that it doesn't take over Gallimaufry.

The contest forum is Steve only domain.  I think what he's doing is fine, since he only posts once a week.

The plan is to take all the poll winners, and as many of the second place finishers as is necessary to round it out, and put them in groups.  The winners of the groups will go 1 vs. 1 until we have a victor.

Do you mean single elimination tournament style, like the NCAA championships; or MTV style winner stays on until his ass is kicked?  If my opinion matters, I vote for tournament play.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 07:21:17 PM
Oh, the finals will be elimination based.  World Cup Soccer style.