Author Topic: PC653: Why Aren’t Millennials Continuing Traditional Worship of the Elder Dark?  (Read 787 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle 653: Why Aren’t Millennials Continuing Traditional Worship of the Elder Dark?

Author: Matt Dovey
Narrator: Heath Miller
Host: Peter Behravesh
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

Originally published by Diabolical Plots.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated R.

In a generational shift that some claim threatens the fabric of existence and the sanity of all humanity, surveys show that worship of the Elder Dark is at a record low for one particular group—millennials.

Bob Rawlins is worried. “When I was growing up in the 1950s, I made my obeisance before the Manifold Insanity every night, uttering the invocations to satiate the Watchers Just Beyond and keep them at bay for one day longer. But young people now aren’t prepared to make the necessary sacrifices.”

I remind him that human sacrifice was deemed unnecessary and illegal in 1985, and animal sacrifice in 2009.

“Well I don’t mean literally,” he says, though there’s a note of longing to his tone.

Bob is showing me round his inner sanctum, a converted basement given over to the worship and appeasement of the Unknowable Gods. He’s the Grand Dark Supplicant of his local chapter, and is continuing a long family tradition: men of his bloodline have been bound to the service of the Elder Dark since the days of the Pilgrims.

“Our ranks are already thin,” he says, resting a hand intimately on an idol of the Ten Thousand Staring Eyes. “I worry the world I’ll leave behind will be overrun by the gibbering horrors of the between spaces, ushering in a never-ending age of nightmares and insurmountable monstrosities. It breaks my heart to think of the Eight Palms golf course getting swallowed by a roiling pit of blackness. Hole five’s a real beauty.”

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!