Author Topic: PseudoPod 735: The Slow King  (Read 1407 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 11, 2020, 11:26:31 PM
PseudoPod 735: The Slow King

Author: Tim Major
Narrator: Simon Meddings
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Marty Perrett

“The Slow King” originally appeared in the 2020 Anthology The Fiends in the Furrows 2: More Tales of Folk Horror.

Show Notes
Reviews by Christi Nogle and read by Kat Day for The Fiends in the Furrows 2: More Tales of Folk Horror edited by David T. Neal and Christine M. Scott and the Gordon B. White collection As Summer’s Mask Slips and Other Distruptions.

Campbell’s dad watched him from beyond the cordon, through the gap between catering vans. Reluctantly, Campbell raised his hand – a motionless salute rather than a wave – but his dad’s eyes continued to scan from side to side.

Campbell jammed his hands in the pockets of the padded gilet he had been forced to wear. He surveyed the collection of makeshift tents. Their interiors glowed red with light from large electric bar heaters.

“Excuse me,” he said to a middle-aged woman hurrying in the other direction, “do you know where Laine is?”

“Kid, I don’t know where anyone is.” The woman brandished a folded sheet of paper. “But if I don’t get these new lines to Kier’s trailer in the next few minutes then I’ll be taking a turn up there myself.” She nodded at the two metal cages that hung from the tree at the foot of the hill. They were the shapes of birdcages but each big enough to hold a person. A stepladder had been placed below one of them and a man in a day-glo tabard was testing the metal bars of the cage.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 10:23:11 PM
Unfortunately, I struggled with this story’s plot. Its narration was intriguing. Unfortunately, I lost track of the story when the protagonist shows up at his home in the rain. After Ruth told our protagonist about the 11th century tale of the Slow King, I felt the story hopped between locations (without reason). Ah well. Not every pseudopod tale will be enjoyable for me.  :'(

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 05:15:53 PM
I was all set to explain what I thought really happened, but after thinking about it I'm not sure I understood it all either. Did the boy and the Slow King trade places, or were they one and the same individual all along?  My initial reading was that they were the same person, and the modern boy was pulled backward in time and became the Slow King. But the fact that he showed up just as the ceremony was commencing, while the Slow King had already been interacting with the villagers doesn't really fit with that theory.

That element of ambiguity could be intentional, of course.

P.S. For some reason the short story "The Very Slow Time Machine" by Ian Watson popped into my head while typing this comment. It's the type of story that would probably work on both Pseudopod and Escape Pod. It's not amazing, but it's interesting. Worth a read if you come across it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:22:41 PM by Marlboro »

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
I was all set to explain what I thought really happened, but after thinking about it I'm not sure I understood it all either. Did the boy and the Slow King trade places, or were they one and the same individual all along?  My initial reading was that they were the same person, and the modern boy was pulled backward in time and became the Slow King. But the fact that he showed up just as the ceremony was commencing, while the Slow King had already been interacting with the villagers doesn't really fit with that theory.

That element of ambiguity could be intentional, of course.
I appreciated your comment, Marlboro. 8)

P.S. For some reason the short story "The Very Slow Time Machine" by Ian Watson popped into my head while typing this comment. It's the type of story that would probably work on both Pseudopod and Escape Pod. It's not amazing, but it's interesting. Worth a read if you come across it.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Meds

• Extern
  • Voicing words by creative excellence.
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 08:25:00 PM
Unfortunately, I struggled with this story’s plot. Its narration was intriguing. Unfortunately, I lost track of the story when the protagonist shows up at his home in the rain. After Ruth told our protagonist about the 11th century tale of the Slow King, I felt the story hopped between locations (without reason). Ah well. Not every pseudopod tale will be enjoyable for me.  :'(

Glad you found the Narration Intriguing it was a challenge to do several different voices and age range.  :)

My voice is for your ears only.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 07:01:50 PM

Glad you found the Narration Intriguing it was a challenge to do several different voices and age range.  :)

Hell, even if I didn't understand the plot I enjoyed your narration sir. Hope you get more work from EA.