Author Topic: PseudoPod 733: Late Sleepers  (Read 1190 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 06, 2020, 09:15:10 AM
PseudoPod 733: Late Sleepers

Author: Steve Rasnic Tem
Narrator: David Powell
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“Late Sleepers” was first published in It Came from the Multiplex, published by Hex Publishers in September 2020

Show Notes
Reviews of It Came from the Multiplex edited by Josh Viola and Echoes of a Natural World: Tales of the Strange & Estranged edited by Michael P. Daley were written and read by Shawn Garrett, co-Editor.

Ted woke up in the dark with a dull headache, deciding to sneak out before the rest of the family got up. Going home for Thanksgiving was a terrible idea. He’d have to find some excuse to stay on campus for Christmas. Maybe he’d come home New Year’s Day, if he wasn’t too hungover.

He’d slept in the same clothes he wore at dinner. He didn’t know why he hadn’t changed; he didn’t remember going to bed. His dad worked all day on their ancient furnace, banging a hammer and making dinner late. Mom was furious, and that started the first argument. Then his brother got into it, followed by his brother’s wife. There’d been something about Ted’s major, the wasted college fees, his low grades, and other upsets he couldn’t remember at all. Politics maybe. Or a neighbor’s careless and tragic end. So much he couldn’t quite point to. For once his dad hadn’t participated. He just sat there staring at them. Ted remembered leaving the table mad at everybody, but nothing after.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 10:48:02 PM
Ah ha!
So, the...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
.... Curious

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 04:31:19 AM
Ah ha!
So, the...
.... Curious

I think both are valid interpretations. I went with the second personally, but I rather appreciate the ambiguity.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 03:36:29 PM
Ah ha!
So, the...
.... Curious

I think both are valid interpretations. I went with the second personally, but I rather appreciate the ambiguity.
Yep. I'm good with that POV. Thanks, eh.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.