Author Topic: CoW Ep. 388: The First, the Second, the Third  (Read 665 times)

Languorous Lass

on: January 27, 2021, 05:50:04 AM
Cast of Wonders 388: The First, the Second, the Third

• Author: Katherine Kendig
• Narrator: Sigríður Gunnarsdóttir
• Host: Katherine Inskip
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
• Artist: Alexis Goble

"The First, the Second, the Third" is a Cast of Wonders original.

Click here to listen to Episode 388

In the winter, the mornings are colder inside than out. Lily sings at the window, her voice wending its way toward the barn, the willow grove, the creek, as pure as the snow it floats over. Her breath frosts as she sings, her gaze fixed on the horizon where the church is the only part of town we can see. Margot huddles in bed, her hair tousled over her face, shivering. Margot has never been able to stand the cold.

“Celia,” she says to me, lifting the blanket a little so I can crawl in beside her. We lie side by side and listen to Lily sing until our stomachs rumble and we go downstairs to make breakfast. Lily refuses to sing while she is working, but she hums under her breath as she makes porridge, and in my mind I am humming too. Margot insists on having jam with breakfast every day, even though she knows the jam will run out long before spring. Lily insists on reserving a jar of rhubarb for herself, so that she can savor it on special occasions, long after Margot has devoured the rest of it.

I don’t care much about the jam. I begrudge my tongue its sweetness.

Tags:   Alexis Goble, fairy tale, family, Fantasy, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, Katherine Kendig, Sigríður Gunnarsdóttir, sisters, threes, winter, Young Adult fiction