Author Topic: Book Trade Thread  (Read 5254 times)

Russell Nash

on: March 17, 2008, 07:16:19 PM
I finished The World Without Us and was not too impressed by the time I finished.  The author was advocating eliminating humanity because of the damage we cause to the earth.  I was more interested in learning about how entropy was going to slowly eat away at everything we had built, but it turned into a preach session about humans=bad, nature=good.

I'm not sure if we want to start doing this on this forum, but I would be willing to sell or trade this book for the going rate on half.com.  Russell, if this is against the rules let me know.  I'd like to get my hands on a book I would enjoy reading, and I don't plan on re-reading this one.

There are a few sites that let you trade; all it costs you is the postage.  I haven't been brave enough to sign up for one, though.  If anyone uses one a lot and can recommend it, let me know.
I wonder if we could start something like that on here.  Sci-fi books for trade or maybe even selling.  We all have similar tastes in fiction.  Why not try to trade some books while we're at it?  It would be like Oprah's book club, but with spaceships and lasers.  Thoughts?

Let's give this a try.  Put up what you have or offers for trades.  Accept or decline in the thread, so the rest of us get some entertainment out of it.  Then go to PMs to trade addresses and such.

My only rule here is no money.  If you want to sell your book, go on ebay.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:58:07 PM by Russell Nash »

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:51:44 PM
I'd be willing to participate in a book-swap.
I just finished Stephen Kings "Duma Key" and "'Salem's Lot".
'Salem's Lot was written very poorly, but he managed to turn a few really gorgeous phrases.
Duma Kay was much better.  Good prose, excellent dialogue, and wonderful characters who feel like real people.
I had some problems with the story itself, but I think that's a matter of taste.

Now reading "Shogun".  I've been meaning to pick this up for...hmm...about a decade.  Never got around to it, but I've got it now.  It's no fluff, either.  My paperback contains 1161 pages of teeny tiny print.  I'm sure I'll be completely (not just nearly) blind before I'm finished.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:28:50 AM
Books up for trade:

"Robot Visions" by Isaac Asimov.  It's a collection of his short stories about robots.  The book is in rough shape, but the stories are awesome.
"The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick.  In great shape and it's a great book.
"The Science of Superheroes" by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg.  Okay, none of the Union Dues characters in here, but it's a great book.
"Xenos" "Malleus" and "Hereticus" by Dan Abnett.  All Warhammer 40K novels.  So so.

I'll post more later.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:46:57 PM by Chodon »

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:19:29 AM
Okay, more books:

"The Garden of Rama" by Arthur C. Clarks and Gentry Lee
"The X-Files: Antibodies" by Kevin J. Anderson
"The Stars are Also Fire" by Poul Anderson
"Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton
"Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe (okay, not sci-fi, but a classic)
"Ragnar's Claw" by William King (another Warhammer 40K novel)
"Six Centuries of Great Poetry" by a bunch of people..it's a good book full of poetry.
"Laws of the Night" World of Darkness Live Action Role Playing...if that's your thing
"Twenty Ways to Pop the Question" by David W. Richardson (I got it free when I bought my wife's engagement ring).

I'm looking to trade for some of the classics I haven't read yet, or collections of short fiction like EP (something I can read on the crapper).   My sci-fi reading is pretty much 100% incomplete.  If it isn't in the books I listed I probably haven't read it.  Looking for the big stuff from authors like Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asmiov, Carl Sagan. 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:11 AM
What about tradeback policies?  I guess that would just be worked out between traders?  Due dates and stuff.

Anyways, I have Asimov's Foundation series.  all of them.  I suggest starting either with Prelude or Foundation, then moving from there.  If u skip prelude, go back to it at the end. or whenever.  i duno.

For anyone else i also have... lets see *looks at bookshelf*
1. Choke - Palahniuk
2. Diary - Palahniuk
3. Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
4. The Simarillion - Tolkien
5. The whole Animorphs series minus book 1 (hahaha never got rid of them!  that was 2nd and 3rd grade reading.  loved those books!) - Applegate
6. The whole Everworld series (after Animorphs ended) -  Applegate
7. Broken Sky series (fun, comic bookish) - Wooding
8. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
9. A Lesson Before Dying - Gaines
10. Wuthering Heights - Bronte
11. The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
12. A Midsummer Night's Dream - Shakespeare
13. Macbeth - Shakespeare
14. The Alchemist - Coelho (quesionable condition.  For some reason the first few pages fell out so i have a metal clip holding the book together.  other than that its in great condition)
15. The Epic of Gilgamesh (probably a crappy short translation because it was for freshman year english class)
16. The Crucible - Miller
17. Demian - Hesse
18. The Emperor - Kapuscinski
19. The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
20. The Time Machine - Wells
21. White Fang - London
22. Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Bach
23. The Sirens of Titan - Vonnegut
24. Pride and Prejudice - Austen
25. The Prince - Machiavelli
26. Much Ado About Nothing - Shakespeare
27. The Tao of Pooh - Hoff
28. The Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne
29. Animal Farm - Orwell
30. Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury
31. Anthem - Rand
32. The Good Earth - Buck
33. Slaughterhouse Five - Vonnegut
34. 1984 - Orwell
35. Brave New World - Huxley
36. Lord of the Flies - Golding
37. Call of the Wild - London
38. Holes - Sachar
39. Huckleberry Finn - Twain
40. Tom Sawyer -  Twain
41. The Communist Manifesto - Marx

thats all for now kids. :P

id be able to part permanently with a few of these, but not most of them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:05:48 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:21:30 AM
I was thinking permanent trading.  I suppose people could set up due dates, but I wouldn't be able to get books back.  I only listed the stuff I wouldn't be heartbroken if I never saw again.  I'm not a huge re-reader.  Currently I have quite a reading backlog and my reading time consists of only about 1 hour every other day.  That's why podcasts are so awesome.  Reading while commuting doesn't turn out so well...so due dates probably wouldn't work for me or, more importantly, whoever sent the book to me. ;D

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 02:07:10 AM
well, is there any one from that list that you would like to have? i might be willing for a permanent trade

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:24:40 AM
How about "Jurassic Park" for "Choke"?  I read Diary and loved it.  Fight Club is (obviously) awesome.

Nt 2 B TKN INTRNLY

• Palmer
  • Program Error: User "Daniel" Terminated
    • Brain Radiation
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:25 PM
I have a copy of "Echelon",
"Robot Dreams" by Isaac Asimov
"The Best American Short Stories" by Various Authors, such as Ann Beattie, T.C. Boyle, William Gay, Mary Gordon, Stellar Kim, Aryn Kyle Bruce McAllister, Karen Russel, Richard Russo, Jim Shepard and Kate Walbert. Edited by Stephen King.

Honestly, I'd be willing to trade each of these for a good sci-fi book (or other), preferably Asimov, Vonnegut, or Dick...

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

I wonder what it would be like to feel my brain...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:16:37 AM
I thought I would get better if I waited, but I'm still a packrat.  I think I could bear to part with:

Eon by Greg Bear
Kiln People by David Brin (hardcover)
Glory Season by David Brin
The Fabulous Riverboat by Philip Jose Farmer

IF you could part with your copy of:

State of the Art by Iain Banks (which I've had a devil of a time finding *while* I have monies)

Oh, and if DVDs are allowed, I have an extra copy of Star Trek:Nemesis, somehow.  And if I don't like you, I'll throw in a copy of Jingle All the Way...   :P

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:33 AM
2B, are you interested in trading "Robot Dreams" for "Robot Visions"?  Mine is in very well-read shape, but it's perfectly legible.  Just not a collector's item.

Nt 2 B TKN INTRNLY

• Palmer
  • Program Error: User "Daniel" Terminated
    • Brain Radiation
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:32 PM
Very interested. A permenent trade? "Robot Dreams" has a stamp with my name written on the inside of the front cover, but otherwise it's in good shape.

I wonder what it would be like to feel my brain...

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 06:57:15 PM
I'm up for permanent if you are.  I don't keep books after I have sucked all the knowledge out of them.  If you're interested PM me your mailing addy or PO box and I'll do the same.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:09 PM
Huzzah!  The first book trade has happened!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:51:10 PM
I got Robot Dreams today.  Thanks for the trade TKN INTRNLY!  Can't wait to read it.  Anyone else interested in trading?  Bdoomed, are you interested in Jurassic Park for Choke?

izzardfan

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 09:43:10 PM
I just posted here wanting to trade either of my two BRAND NEW Harry Dresden (#2 and #3) paperbacks for something else.  This would be a permanent trade.  Anyone interested?