Author Topic: Arthur C. Clark dies at age 90  (Read 7878 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 18, 2008, 10:31:04 PM
According to his aide Arthur C. Clarke died in his home in Sri Lanka today.

If you're a fan of SF, you know his work.  We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his work in the genre such as 2001 and Childhood's End, and contributions to science itself - such as the very ideas of geostationary satellites and space elevators.

A moment of slience please...

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:17 PM
I am very saddened today.  The last of my holy trinity, Asimov, Adams and Clarke has passed away; and with it another little piece of my childhood.  These three men played a large part in shaping my mind, such as it is.   :'(

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:44:42 PM
Very sad news.  ACC's work was what got me interested in sci-fi, specifically Rendezvous With Rama.   His novels and short stories blew my mind as a kid growing up in a small town.    :'(

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:01:16 PM
The 2001 series was probably the first adult SF I read.

It's a sad day, though he certainly drank life to the lees.

The NYT Obit.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Thermonuclearpenguin

• Extern
    • International Business and Travel Survival Guide
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:20 AM
Thank you Arthur....

I remember very clearly that Arthur C. Clarke's book The City and the Stars was the first full lenth SF that I had ever read. It was during a summer vacation to my Grandfather's house in Sunnyvalle in 1979. I was 10 years old, and I loved going there. He worked for TRW on a subcontract for Shuttle so to me he was outer space. I would sit with him every night and read out of Analog or Asimov while he read a math or physics book or some tech mannual. Then one night he went to his bookshelf and pulled a first addition City and the Stars off and said "here try this". That was it I was hooked. Thanks Grandpa and thanks Arthur.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:09:17 AM by Thermonuclearpenguin »

Finding out that you still have more to learn, is the best reward of any lesson.

Liminal

• EA Staff
    • These Liminal Days
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:57:38 AM
I found some free audio fiction versions of Arthur C. Clarke stories over at http://www.hardsf.org/HSF0Mind.htm. They come from an old radio series from the University of Wisconsin called Mind Webs that ran between '76 - '84. The stories on Mind Web include:

The Star
The Haunted Spacesuit
The Nine Billion Names of God
The Sentinel
Summertime on Icarus
A Walk in the Dark

Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness? - Artemus Ward

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:29:20 AM
Truly a sad day for the literary world.

At least he had a nice long life and left behind many stellar achievements.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 04:06:04 AM
We were fortunate to have him as long as we did.  He will be missed.

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:15:44 AM
:::moment of silence:::

Clarke was the first sf author whose works I exhausted.  His vision and style will be missed.

While not from his work, I offer this quote to his memory:  Hail and farewell, fellow Traveler.  The great dark is too great, and the night too deep.  We will never meet, you and I.  Let me pause therefore, and raise a glass.  (From The Engines of God by Jack McDevitt)

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 03:18:20 PM
Favorite SF Author Ever.  Truly one of the giants. 

More than any other author, his works are what made me a lifelong SF reader. 

Many years ago I wrote a program (on an Apple II!) to print out all 9,000,000,000 names... but I was too scared to run it ;)

Thank You Sir Arthur.

rkg  101010

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:17:51 PM
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 07:38:05 PM by Russell Nash »

Rain

• Matross
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:02:20 PM
The city and the stars is in my opinion the best science fiction story ever. 90 years is a long time, but still too early for him to go :(

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:34:24 PM
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me used Arthur C. Clarke as the subject of their "Not My Job" quiz this week.

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 07:43:08 PM

Randy Cassingham's This is True had Sir Arthur as the "Honorary Unsubscribe" this week, with the following comment:

IT'S TRUE THAT the Honorary Unsubscribe is usually reserved for those who
you haven't heard about. Sometimes, though, I break the rules when it's
someone who means something to me. This week's honoree, below, did.

rkg  101010

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 08:40:04 PM
Michael Moorcock reminisces.

(Note for non-UK readers: November 5 is Bonfire Night, when all loyal subjects of the Crown commemorate the failure of a plot to blow up an earlier King.  I skimmed the article at first and was confused by the references to explosions until I spotted the significant date.)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:16 AM
Another NYT remembrance.

Michael Moorcock reminisces.

(Note for non-UK readers: November 5 is Bonfire Night, when all loyal subjects of the Crown commemorate the failure of a plot to blow up an earlier King.  I skimmed the article at first and was confused by the references to explosions until I spotted the significant date.)

Huh. I'd never heard it mentioned he was gay. Guess it never really mattered.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:01:54 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:20:52 AM
I thought it was a commemoration of Guy Fawkes, the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 08:49:56 AM
Huh. I'd never heard it mentioned he was gay. Guess it never really mattered.
To quote the New York Times obit:
Mr. Clarke’s standard answer when journalists asked him outright if he was gay was, “No, merely mildly cheerful.”
This is of profound importance to me, as I care a great deal about which sex Sir Arthur C. Clarke preferred to have sexual relations with.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest