Author Topic: The Film Poll Menace: Episode XXIV  (Read 11850 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 20, 2008, 02:10:10 AM
BttF won again, by one vote over Stardust and two votes over Apollo 13.  Close race...

This week's entries pretty much speak for themselves, so I don't have much to say. Except that if you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, you really should. Just don't expect light fantasy fare. Don't expect dark fantasy either... it's not the fantasy portion of the film that's dark, it's the real world that's truly horrific.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:13 AM
Pan's Labyrinth gets my vote.  That movie was unlike any other I have seen and it blew me away.  I really like some of the other movies on the list, too. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:02:21 PM
I also voted for Pan's Labyrinth.  It was a beautiful movie. 

Tough call, because I could've easily gone with Alien, Princess Bride, or Back to the Future.  (Not so much Minority Report.)

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:20:47 PM
I also voted for Pan's Labyrinth.  It was a beautiful movie. 

Tough call, because I could've easily gone with Alien, Princess Bride, or Back to the Future.  (Not so much Minority Report.)

I agree with you.  In a different batch anyone of these could easily have gotten my vote.  This time it was a no-brainer though.  I don't know if anything could beat Princess Bride in my mind.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:29:29 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Princess Bride, myself. I loved Alien and BttF. I wasn't all that keen on Pan's Labyrinth, though. It may have been what it was vs. what I was expecting, but it was so dark. I mean, there were elements about it that I liked, and it's one of those I'm glad I can say I have seen (the question left hanging at the end stuck with me for days), but I can't say I enjoyed it. Appreciated it, maybe, but not enjoyed.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 12:26:55 PM
Yeah... since the question is the ambiguous "which one did you LIKE the best", well... you pick your poison.  Then the question becomes...

Do I choose the poison in your glass or in my own?

"Pan" was brilliant, but made me sad and uncomfortable, and no one I love is likely to watch it with me, so I can clearly not choose that one.

"Alien" was brilliant, but cannot compete with comedy in my twisted brain, so I can clearly not choose that film.

(Finished?  You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?)

"Minority Report" was a decent adaptation, and had cool ideas, but suffered from Tom Cruise Crazy, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

So it comes down to BttF and PB, and... OH, MY!  WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?!?  Oh, never mind... I thought I saw a shrieking eel.

But, I have made my choice and it's.... Inconceivable!   *URK*

Apologies to Wallace Shawn.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:53:20 PM
I think this marks the first Film Poll in which I've seen all of the available choices.

Put me down for The Princess Bride as well.

Yeah... since the question is the ambiguous "which one did you LIKE the best", well... you pick your poison.  Then the question becomes...

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.  :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:55:33 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:09 PM
I think this marks the first Film Poll in which I've seen all of the available choices.

Put me down for The Princess Bride as well.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.  :D

Wait 'til I get going!

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 04:33:39 PM
You keep using this word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:12:06 PM
I went with Princess Bride  I did thoroughly enjoy Pan's Labyrinth.   I also liked BttF and Alien but Princess Bride remains my favorite of those.  Minority Report blew festering donkey

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 03:48:08 AM
I went with Princess Bride  I did thoroughly enjoy Pan's Labyrinth.   I also liked BttF and Alien but Princess Bride remains my favorite of those.  Minority Report blew festering donkey

I actually enjoyed all of the films listed.  Even though Minority Report suffered the Curse of Cruise as well as being a typical Dick "adaptation".

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 05:06:47 AM
I feel like a traitor for voting for Pan's Labyrinth over Princess Bride, but the truth is Labyrinth touched me on a visceral level that PB never could reach.

Even if I can quote dozens of lines from PB and insist all my friends watch it.. :D

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 07:24:33 AM
this was pans verses PB for me also , pb got it but oany just

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

shwankie

Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 09:03:49 PM
Another vote in for Princess Bride. It's just that classic that sticks, though several others are long-worn favorites, too. The one I feel a bit guilty about is Pan's, because I haven't seen it, and don't plan on it. Makes me feel bad for being an uninformed voter. I get that it's amazing, and when it first was advertised I couldn't wait to see it. Fortunately, I heard about the graphic violence--more specifically the type of graphic violence--before I managed to get to a theater.

I am not a wimp, and I love blow-'em'ups, dramas, experimental film, etc. But, I cannot take certain kinds of violence. Not just because it makes me uncomfortable, but because it literally means no sleep for me for weeks. Zombies eating brains is fine, Gladiator and Braveheart are amazing, but most of Sigler's violence in Earthcore (for example) is just out for me. Which makes me sad in some ways, because I've heard other things about Pan that I believe I'd like.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 12:50:29 AM
Another vote in for Princess Bride. It's just that classic that sticks, though several others are long-worn favorites, too. The one I feel a bit guilty about is Pan's, because I haven't seen it, and don't plan on it. Makes me feel bad for being an uninformed voter. I get that it's amazing, and when it first was advertised I couldn't wait to see it. Fortunately, I heard about the graphic violence--more specifically the type of graphic violence--before I managed to get to a theater.

I am not a wimp, and I love blow-'em'ups, dramas, experimental film, etc. But, I cannot take certain kinds of violence. Not just because it makes me uncomfortable, but because it literally means no sleep for me for weeks. Zombies eating brains is fine, Gladiator and Braveheart are amazing, but most of Sigler's violence in Earthcore (for example) is just out for me. Which makes me sad in some ways, because I've heard other things about Pan that I believe I'd like.

(I don't know if this would be considered a spoiler, but ...)

What's wrong with us, that we can't tolerate a little good-natured torture?  Are we just some kinda sick weirdoes or something? ???

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 06:55:24 AM
I went with Princess Bride, because although I quite enjoyed several of the others, it was the only one I would buy and watch several times.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:25:42 AM
difficult, difficult. i love princess bride and alien is one of the most important pieces of scifi out there, but still pan's labyrinth gets my vote.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:56 AM
After all the wins it has had, it's pretty amazing to watch BttF get its ass kicked by two films in the same poll.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 06:17:24 AM
After all the wins it has had, it's pretty amazing to watch BttF get its ass kicked by two films in the same poll.

Wow, ya.  But then for me, BttF comes in a pretty distant fourth this week.  Then again, since (as much as I like it) I've never actually *voted* for it, I can't really talk.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 07:25:07 PM
BttF and PB are both in my top 10 of all time, but PB is #4 and BttF is #10.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 12:12:59 AM
I suppose I'm the only one who will admit to enjoying Minority Report and even owning a DVD copy?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 01:23:50 AM
Minority report was good. Its just no PB or Pan's Labyrinth.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 01:30:50 AM
I suppose I'm the only one who will admit to enjoying Minority Report and even owning a DVD copy?

Are you trying to combine the "Embarassing Stuff I Like" thread with the "Trade Old Copies" thread?  ;)

(I keed, I keed... I liked M.R. just fine!)

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 04:21:15 AM
I enjoyed MR, too, but I really didn't consider it to be in the same league as the other four.

Edit:
Actually, after a little reflection, it's more likely I wouldn't put Pan in with those other four. It's not a question of "league" as much as genre, imo.

<edited: typo>
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:50:48 PM by birdless »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 01:04:10 PM
(I keed, I keed... I liked M.R. just fine!)

I enjoyed MF, too, but I really didn't consider it to be in the same league as the other four.
It just seems that many enjoy piling on it ... my guess is it's mostly the Curse of Cruise.