Author Topic: PC667: Clouds in a Clear Blue Sky  (Read 920 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: February 28, 2021, 07:02:09 PM
PodCastle 667: Clouds in a Clear Blue Sky

Author: Matt Dovey
Narrator: Matthew James Hamblin
Host: Setsu Uzume
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

PodCastle 667: Clouds in a Clear Blue Sky is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated PG-13.

It were a clear blue day, what with the factory shut for the funeral and wake.

Colin was slumped in the pub garden’s swing, his straw hair sticking out every which way despite his mam’s best efforts with the Brylcreem. Me and Trev were stood by quiet, our hands lost in the oversized pockets of our borrowed suits. Trev’s cheeks had gone red and purple in the heat, his top button still done up and straining against his neck.

Mark came back out the pub with a plate of sausage rolls that he offered round.

“What’s it like in there?” I asked.

“Grim,” said Mark. “Your Uncle Gareth’s lost his jacket, and then he says it doesn’t matter compared to losing Colin’s dad, and then he starts crying again. Seen it happen three times while I were at the buffet.”

“Yeah, well,” I said. “Best mates, weren’t they?”

Colin grunted, swung himself a bit harder, but said nowt.

“Here, Colin,” said Mark, holding the plate out. “Fancy a sausage roll?”

Colin shrugged, carried on almost as if he hadn’t heard. Then he got up and stomped to the picnic bench and drank his Coke back in one go, then slammed the glass down so hard we all flinched thinking it’d smash.

“This is shit,” Colin said. “Really shit. Shit shit shit.”

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:36:00 PM
I really enjoyed this.

It’s a great bromance set in Great Britain. Everything feels very British, and as is a great deal to them, the protagonists were proles—and they start in a pub! The shock between workers and bosses was summat present throughout the whole story. They don’t even know who owns the factory. I liked how they talked in dialect and, especially, the fact that the narrator also talked in dialect.
Near the end, it becomes very heartwarming. The last line is beautiful. It’s the kind of bromance I haven’t seen since Stand By Me.

At first glance, the three lads reminded of the three little pigs (also because of them is named Colin). Is it just a coincidence?

There’s nowt bad I can say about this story.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:51:34 AM by Álex Souza »

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.

Han

• Palmer
    • Author website
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:50:44 PM
This is the most Yorkshire thing I have ever heard and I love it. Perfect narrator.