Author Topic: Outstanding SF alien races  (Read 4441 times)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:11 AM
In 1979, artist Wayne Douglas Barlowe came out with Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials, in which he presented the reader with beautiful paintings of fifty alien species from written SF.  (Full list here.)  I bought the book as a teenager and poured over it.  Years later, I picked up Frederik Pohl's The Age of the Pussyfoot and Donald Moffit's The Jupiter Theft in used bookstores solely because I remembered the titles from Barlowe's book.

Now, let's imagine that they're coming out with a new Guide to Extraterrestrials, illustrated by Barlowe or some other artist, and fifty alien races created by SF authors since... oh, let's say 1979, are to be included.  Which ones do you nominate as vivid, well-described, and believable enough to make the cut?  No pre-1979 aliens qualify.  (This means Niven & Pournelle's Moties get screwed, but oh well.)

My initial nominations (obviously restricted by which SF lit I'm familiar with):

Fithp (Footfall by Niven & Pournelle)
Heechee (Heechee series by Frederik Pohl)
Pequeninos (Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card)
Skroderiders (A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge)
Spiders (A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge)
Tines (A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge)

(I was a bit reluctant to put the Heechee on there, since I frankly preferred the earlier books where they were an unseen plot device, but my list was looking rather sparse with just five races.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:25:13 AM by Russell Nash »

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

G. Foyle

• Extern
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:36 PM
The Dwellers (The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:29:08 PM by G. Foyle »

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 07:00:32 PM
The Vogons from Hitchhikers.

I've never even hear of Vernor Vinge, are those books worth finding?

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:11:47 PM

I've never even hear of Vernor Vinge, are those books worth finding?

A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky are definitely worth reading. Marooned in Realtime, not so much, but still good.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:32:42 PM

I've never even hear of Vernor Vinge, are those books worth finding
Yeah, Deepness and Fire are fantastic books.  Didn't care for Rainbows End as much.

In Greg Bear's "Anvil of Stars" there were these colony creatures made out of centipedey things, and they communicated with a combination of sounds and smells.  Cool aliens.

Finding cool aliens, btw, is the most satisfying science fiction experience for me.  There are plenty of dopey aliens, but few truly interesting ones.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:31:34 PM
Niven's Fleet of Worlds had these octopus things (I forget the name) that could link up their nervous systems to act like biological computers. They managed to develop a theoretical understanding of the technologies they'd need to conquer space even before they got to dry land and could start a fire...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:35:50 PM
James White of the "Sector General" series created some of the most out-there alien species I've ever read... "SG" is the "hardest" SF I've ever read as well.  Plus, there are several stories and books in the series that are not from the POV of a human, but of one of the aliens, and for the most part, White actually makes it so you don't think you're just reading (for example) a gigantic, vacuum-impervious, hard-skinned slug with a human brain.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:58:11 PM
James White of the "Sector General" series created some of the most out-there alien species I've ever read...

One of them made it into Barlowe's Guide as I recall.  The name of the species currently eludes me ... some kind of insectoid that was well-suited to being a surgeon.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 04:39:23 PM
James White of the "Sector General" series created some of the most out-there alien species I've ever read...

One of them made it into Barlowe's Guide as I recall.  The name of the species currently eludes me ... some kind of insectoid that was well-suited to being a surgeon.

Probably the Cinrusskin, Dr. Prilicla.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42