Author Topic: The Film Poll Menace: Episode XXIV  (Read 11860 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 03:41:49 PM
I suppose I'm the only one who will admit to enjoying Minority Report and even owning a DVD copy?

Minority Report was okay.  I enjoyed it when I watched it but when I watched it a second time, it didn't hold up very well. 

The other movies, with the exception of Pan's Labyrinth, I've seen numerous times and my appreciation for them has only grown.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 04:30:17 PM
I suppose I'm the only one who will admit to enjoying Minority Report and even owning a DVD copy?

I've seen it a couple times and like it,  I just never buy DVD's.  Cruise didn't bother me in that movie and didn't bother me in War of the Worlds, either, which I really liked. 

I seem to be one of the only ones who hasn't seen Pricess Bride.  With all the positivity I've read about it I'm popping it to the top of my NetFlix queue. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 06:31:03 PM
I think Minority report was the last movie I saw Cruise in before he went completely nutty, and I haven't really sought out any of his films since. I guess its rather wrong to let his real life persona (at least the insane face he presents to the public) color my opinion of him as an actor (since I have enjoyed his movies in the past, particularly Magnolia) but there you have it. A few of the statements he's said have been outright outrageous, even repugnantly stupid, and it's hard for me to take seriously as an actor someone who I've come to just not respect at all.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 06:34:53 PM

Cruise didn't bother me in that movie and didn't bother me in War of the Worlds, either, which I really liked. 

Oh, man. War of the Worlds.  I loved that movie up until the last 30 seconds, then I couldn't get the bad taste out of my mouth for weeks.

I do think Tom Cruise is kind of an idiot, but he is a good actor.  Collateral was unbelievably good, and I'm pretty sure that was at the height of Cruise nuttiness.  (Although in that movie, you could root against him, which was kind of fun.)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 02:26:54 AM

I seem to be one of the only ones who hasn't seen Pricess Bride.  With all the positivity I've read about it I'm popping it to the top of my NetFlix queue. 

You'll want to be careful, and follow Tad's Rules of Mega-Hyped Comedies:
*Go into the experience reluctantly,
*Don't expect it to be funny,
*Watch it with someone who has never heard of it (ideally an 8- to 11-year-old) who laughs long and appreciatively at goofy situations

Only following the first rule made "Ernest Goes to Camp" a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 01:25:15 PM

You'll want to be careful, and follow Tad's Rules of Mega-Hyped Comedies:
*Go into the experience reluctantly,
*Don't expect it to be funny,
*Watch it with someone who has never heard of it (ideally an 8- to 11-year-old) who laughs long and appreciatively at goofy situations

Only following the first rule made "Ernest Goes to Camp" a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

Thanks for the strategy.  I've followed a related set of rules over the last 16 years as I've been to all 5 Pokemon movies and every other "kid" movie.  You have to shut off a portion of your brain to survive some of these things.   I'll have to go it alone, however, because my kids will only look at a TV set if there is a XBox 360 or a Wii plugged in to it. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan