Author Topic: Germania  (Read 10142 times)

Darwinist

• Hipparch
on: March 24, 2008, 11:09:05 PM
I was just reading a story on Time.com about an exhibit in Berlin called Germania, which shows pictures, plans, and architectural models of Hitler's post-war idea to make Berlin in to a "world capital Germania".  Hitler stated that it would only be comparable to "ancient Egypt, Rome, or Babylon".  I'll have to find some pictures of this, sounds like it was an idea with a massive scope.  One thing the Time article talks about was Hitler's plan to make the largest dome in the world, the People's Hall which would hold 180,000.  A spokesman quoted in the article said that the breath of 180,000 people in the dome would condense and form rainfall.   Anyway, it would be cool to see what Hitler's crazy vision was.   I watch a lot of History Channel and have never heard of this, has anyone else?     

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:07 AM
I was just reading a story on Time.com about an exhibit in Berlin called Germania, which shows pictures, plans, and architectural models of Hitler's post-war idea to make Berlin in to a "world capital Germania".  Hitler stated that it would only be comparable to "ancient Egypt, Rome, or Babylon".  I'll have to find some pictures of this, sounds like it was an idea with a massive scope.  One thing the Time article talks about was Hitler's plan to make the largest dome in the world, the People's Hall which would hold 180,000.  A spokesman quoted in the article said that the breath of 180,000 people in the dome would condense and form rainfall.   Anyway, it would be cool to see what Hitler's crazy vision was.   I watch a lot of History Channel and have never heard of this, has anyone else?     

No, but there's something really amusing about the line "Hitler's crazy vision" in a post called "Germania".

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:20:34 AM
I've been to a lot of the sites.  Obviously there's surveyor's stakes to see there, but you can see the anchor buildings and appreciate the scope of what he wanted to do.  The architechture was about as realistic as the idea of Germany ruling the whole world.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:34:19 PM
Cool: it's a self-Godwinned discussion thread.  :D

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:47:13 PM
Pre Godwinned for your convenience! 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 02:15:30 AM
Quote from: Wikipedia
Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a caution against the use of inflammatory rhetoric or exaggerated comparisons, and is often conflated with fallacious arguments of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

I did not have any fallatio with reduced Hitler ads... Russell's lizard looks guilty about something, though....

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:00:42 AM
I did not have any fallatio with reduced Hitler ads... Russell's lizard looks guilty about something, though....

...?

/granted, my illustration is illegal for him to view

//see signature regarding cheeky

EDIT: I got told people couldn't see the image due to it being attached (which I want to further disclaim this as a attempt at a cheap laugh and in no way being a comment on Russell, who is as far from the source image as possible in all respects), so here's it in img tags,

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:47:27 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:12:05 AM

...?

/granted, my illustration is illegal for him to view

//see signature regarding cheeky

Holy Mother of Cats... fastest Photoshop in the West!

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:28:55 AM
It makes me sad that one horrible man ruined an entire form of facial hair (the toothbrush mustache), and a first AND last name.  Nobody even calls it the toothbrush mustache anymore.  It's the "Hitler Mustache".  I mean, Charlie Chaplain looks a little evil in retrospect.  So sad.

Once, while going through the process of shaving off my beard, in the privacy of my bathroom, I tried out the toothbrush.  It looks good on me, but I didn't want the negative connotations that go along with it.  So sad.  It ended up in the bottom of the sink like the rest of my facial hair.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:56:06 AM
I'm a little nonplussed about this. I'm working on a story that involves a planet named Germania. For completely unrelated reasons I already have to be careful, because some of the themes could be misinterpreted as anti-Semitic.

This story just keeps getting harder.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: Wikipedia
Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a caution against the use of inflammatory rhetoric or exaggerated comparisons, and is often conflated with fallacious arguments of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

Holy crap.  I used the Blues Brothers' Nazi comment when commenting on a past film poll.  I'm double busted.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:52:30 PM
It makes me sad that one horrible man ruined an entire form of facial hair (the toothbrush mustache), and a first AND last name.  Nobody even calls it the toothbrush mustache anymore.  It's the "Hitler Mustache".  I mean, Charlie Chaplain looks a little evil in retrospect.  So sad.

Once, while going through the process of shaving off my beard, in the privacy of my bathroom, I tried out the toothbrush.  It looks good on me, but I didn't want the negative connotations that go along with it.  So sad.  It ended up in the bottom of the sink like the rest of my facial hair.

Eventually we start taking them back. Racial epithets and the black community, devil horns, the Vikings. I've always seen it as the last defeat of the villain — when he is no longer anything more than a joke, when whatever fear he created has finally dissipated.

The society is just barely starting to get to that point with Hitler, but it'll still be quite a few years before the process is finished.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:02 PM
How do you/we continue to make this shit interesting? If my work ethic was totally crippled, I would be doing nothing but reading this entire forum. I didn't think this particular thread would hold my interest at all, but, noooo... not only is it interesting, but funny, too. And now I'm even posting in it. Curses... foiled again.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:01 PM
you guys HAVE to chek this out, never befor have the SS been so funy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5WoLnOOlU

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 01:33:25 AM

Bloody brilliant!  Funny, I don't see the skull on Russell's lizard's hat. 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 01:57:49 AM

Russell's lizard is Luftwaffe, I think.  (And great clip, oddpod... my friend Jon has been telling me about those guys, and now I can tell him I saw them!)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 04:34:18 AM
Russell's lizard is the first image of a Nazi from the wikipedia entry, so it's whatever uniform Hitler wore. I liked blacking out that face. Also the reason I was disclaiming it, though now I see that it was only me that was thinking Hitler instead of generic Nazi.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 02:33:59 PM
Russell's lizard is the first image of a Nazi from the wikipedia entry, so it's whatever uniform Hitler wore. I liked blacking out that face. Also the reason I was disclaiming it, though now I see that it was only me that was thinking Hitler instead of generic Nazi.
I thought Hitler, too.

Just watched that clip! Hilarious! Here's another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQpj2XUsc8&feature=user
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:42:31 PM by birdless »

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 05:08:36 AM
One thing the Time article talks about was Hitler's plan to make the largest dome in the world, the People's Hall which would hold 180,000.
Imagine the concerts they could have had, with some big-name headliners.

Russell's lizard is Luftwaffe, I think.  (And great clip, oddpod... my friend Jon has been telling me about those guys, and now I can tell him I saw them!)
... and the Totenkpof insignia is associated with the SS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Division_Totenkopf

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 05:32:46 AM

Ah. Now I remember. I once saw a slide presentation by an artist who took these amazing photos of fictitious abandoned buildings, which he did by building very detailed scale models and photographing the interiors. In discussing his inspiration sources, he mention Albert Speer's Volkshalle models and had a few slides of them, including this image:

Note the illusion created by the eagle with outspread wings behind the podium, resembling Hitler's face.

Exterior of the Volkshalle:

Not to be confused with Vauxhall:

Plan for Berlin:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:35:37 AM by Planish »

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 12:39:34 AM
That eagle/Hitler face illusion is too creepy!

Cool slides, Planish!