Author Topic: How to Introduce Children to Star Wars  (Read 26599 times)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
on: March 31, 2008, 04:46:48 PM
Okay, this is one that has been bugging me since the release of the "New" trilogy: how to introduce Star Wars to a new generation of viewers (our children)?  For those of you who have already made this leap, I'm looking for some guidance.  I don't have any kids yet, but I'm not far off.  I don't want to mess this up.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:54:44 PM
When I was a kid(mid-90's) only IV-VI were out, and I was basically just given them.

Honestly, don't make too big a deal over it. Give them the tapes, let them watch if they want to, and don't push them into it. They'll like it, or dislike it, on their own, and there's not much you can do to affect that.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:00:17 PM
I think the correct way is to limit exposure until the child reaches the age of 8, and the take the kid, and show them Episode 1 and Episode 4 end-to-end. Then, you and the kid step out of the house, and you turn to them holding a $100 bill and ask "So, which of the two did you prefer?"

If the kid answers "A new hope", you pat them on the head, and go with him to a local toyshop where he can buy and Star Wars toys he wants with the $100.

If he answers "Phantom Menace" you hand him the $100 bill, tell him to use it to get a cab to the nearest orphanage, and lock him out of the house. Then, you and your spouse can work on making a new kid who hopefully will have better taste.

;)

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:05:08 PM
I think the correct way is to limit exposure until the child reaches the age of 8, and the take the kid, and show them Episode 1 and Episode 4 end-to-end. Then, you and the kid step out of the house, and you turn to them holding a $100 bill and ask "So, which of the two did you prefer?"

If the kid answers "A new hope", you pat them on the head, and go with him to a local toyshop where he can buy and Star Wars toys he wants with the $100.

If he answers "Phantom Menace" you hand him the $100 bill, tell him to use it to get a cab to the nearest orphanage, and lock him out of the house. Then, you and your spouse can work on making a new kid who hopefully will have better taste.

;)
Perfect!  I love it!

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:22:18 PM
There are only three Star Wars films.  Why they were labeled "Episode IV" through "Episode VI" is beyond me, though.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:33:58 PM

;)

Hilarious! I admit I did like Episode 3, but enduring Eps 1 & 2... I'm just not sure it was worth it.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:35:16 PM

;)

Hilarious! I admit I did like Episode 3, but enduring Eps 1 & 2... I'm just not sure it was worth it.

Yeah, that was great.  I'm with birdless, I did like Episode 3, it was pretty dark and it was cool seen the making of DV.   My kids (12 & 16) have seen them all, several times each.  They prefer the first trilogy.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:30:23 PM
Apart from the recurrence of a few characters, I thought the two trilogies were unrelated.

Except, of course, for that thirty seconds at the end of 'Revenge of the Sith' where they crammed all the continuity stuff. That was one of the worst examples of storytelling I've seen, and I've seen --- yeh verily, I've written --- some unpolished turds in my time.

(While I'm on it, I didn't think the prequel trilogy was that bad. Writing Jar Jar Binks was a far better decision artistically than casting Mark Hamill as, well, anything.)

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:32:52 PM
Show the kids IV-VI and forget the other three.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:55:50 PM
Apart from the recurrence of a few characters, I thought the two trilogies were unrelated.

Except, of course, for that thirty seconds at the end of 'Revenge of the Sith' where they crammed all the continuity stuff. That was one of the worst examples of storytelling I've seen, and I've seen --- yeh verily, I've written --- some unpolished turds in my time.

(While I'm on it, I didn't think the prequel trilogy was that bad. Writing Jar Jar Binks was a far better decision artistically than casting Mark Hamill as, well, anything.)

I remember when I was a kid thinking Bail Organa was going to be a major prequel in Episodes I - III because, you know, Princess Leia said he fought beside General Kenobi in the Clone Wars. 

I did like Sith quite a bit, though, and I didn't hate the other two as much as some people do, but I can't help thinking how amazing they might've been if Lucas had just produced them and let somebody else handle the writing/directing chores (as he did for the original trilogy). 

I don't think my daughter's going to mind the "old special effects" I've heard people say will put her off of SW IV - VI.  OTOH, I might wait until she's a bit older because I think Darth Vader would scare the crap out of her.  (She got scared of the pirates in Peter Pan -- not Capt. Hook -- just the pirates). 

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:00 PM
HA! DKT, you beat me to the punch:

My theory is that Lucas knows how to weave a great story... he just can't direct worth a damn. I mean, c'mon: Natalie Portman is a good actress, but you would never know it from watching Eps 1-3.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:16 PM
Yeah, it's why I have a bit more faith in Indy 4  ;)

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:59:01 AM
I picked the order they were originally released in, because of the spoilers in I-III, and because of the way the special effects and CGI were racheted up from one release to the next.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

eytanz

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 01:08:53 AM
I don't have kids, but when I do, I'm wondering if I should really introduce them to Star Wars at all. By which I don't mean I don't think they should be exposed to Star Wars, but growing up, I didn't watch Star Wars (or Empire or Jedi) with my parents, I watched them with my friends. I think these are the kind of movies kids should discover on their own, with others their own age, and not with their parents sitting behind them waiting for their reaction.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 01:20:27 AM
HA! DKT, you beat me to the punch:

My theory is that Lucas knows how to weave a great story... he just can't direct worth a damn. I mean, c'mon: Natalie Portman is a good actress, but you would never know it from watching Eps 1-3.

I believe Tom Waits said it best... I shall paraphrase:  "I could eat alphabet soup and crap a better script than that."

Honestly; even Sith only looked good because a) the first two were SO bad, and b) by that point we were used to the pain.  If I could have my way, I would remake those damned movies... most of the damage could be corrected by a good editor and a voice actor to replace Hayden "made of wood that whines" Christensen.

Feh.  What Lucas "wrote" wasn't a back story... it wasn't even a story.  It was a shoot-'em-up video game that the viewer didn't even get to control.  It was a 6 hour collective toy commercial.  It was a two-film waste of Samuel L. Jackson.

Sorry; you must have hit a nerve that caused a violent reaction.  I'll go get a bottle of medication now.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 01:53:34 AM
I think these are the kind of movies kids should discover on their own, with others their own age, and not with their parents sitting behind them waiting for their reaction.
I dunno. I've had my kids (now in their 20s) introduce me to movies and shows, sitting behind me and waiting for my reaction. I think they were pleased that I enjoyed watching (for instance) the Samurai Jack series with them. They got to return the favour.

My "discovery" of Star Wars was the original cinema release of Ep IV when I was in my early 20s. What made it a unique experience at that time was not the special effects, but the way the audience was engaged and allowed themselves to react like kids watching a saturday matinee serial western "back in the day". Booing the villains, jumping up and cheering maniacally when Han Solo came up from behind and shot up Vader in the canyon run. I had not seen that in an audience (of mostly adults) for a long time.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 01:54:53 AM
I don't have kids, but when I do, I'm wondering if I should really introduce them to Star Wars at all. By which I don't mean I don't think they should be exposed to Star Wars, but growing up, I didn't watch Star Wars (or Empire or Jedi) with my parents, I watched them with my friends. I think these are the kind of movies kids should discover on their own, with others their own age, and not with their parents sitting behind them waiting for their reaction.

That's pretty much what I was try to say too. I'd just leave them someplace low-down on the shelves and never mention them. I know you want to share them with the kids, but if they're drawn to them they'll watch them. I mean, I asked my dad for them in the store when I was all of 5-7, so if it's meant to be it'll happen.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 02:05:46 AM

... most of the damage could be corrected by a good editor and a voice actor to replace Hayden "made of wood that whines" Christensen.

Oh come on. I'll see your Hayden Christensen and raise a you a Mark Hamill. I mean, Mark Hamill!

You don't have any of those meds left, do you?

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 02:31:15 AM
Hayden Christensen

Oh, come on.  As I have opined numerous times to my friends:

If you assume throughout Episode 2 that Anakin has no real feelings for Padme at all, and is just trying to get her to sleep with him, then Hayden Christensen actually did a pretty decent acting job.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 03:39:04 AM
I think anybody could re-edit episodes I, II, or III and come up with better movies.

Wait - here's one now!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkWvddcvwzs

(I really wish I could embed YouTube content here - but everyone should go watch this - it's a trailer for "Romance of the Jedi", and - well, just go watch it)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:37 AM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EkWvddcvwzs&amp;hl=en" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EkWvddcvwzs&amp;hl=en</a>

Just swap in the appropriate youtube URL, and make sure to fix the numbers to 425,355 at the beginning.
Code: [Select]
[flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/v/EkWvddcvwzs&hl=en[/flash]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:44:51 AM by Heradel »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:18 PM

That's cool.  I had the completely opposite experience.  Star Wars was the last movie my parents saw in the theater before they adopted me.  Empire Strikes Back was the next movie they saw (taking me, at the ripe-age of three -- which might explain how warped I am now).  Star Wars was always a part of my family's life.  I remember it being very important to me to see Phantom Menance (God, Mom, and Dad, please forgive me) with them when it came out. 

Maybe it depends on your parents.  My dad was a pretty cool big geek, before being a big geek was cool.  I watched a lot of Star Trek with him when I was a kid.  After reading Scalzi's Old Man's War, I gave it to my dad knowing he'd go nuts for it (he did) and then later gave him some Richard Morgan stuff, which he also enjoyed.  So I hope I get to share some of that with my daughter and any future kids we have.

For my last birthday, my parents got me a SW card that played the Imperial March when you open it.  My daughter LOVES that thing, so today she wanted me to play some more SW music on the way to school.  She greatly enjoyed Duel of the Fates.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 09:26:00 PM

... most of the damage could be corrected by a good editor and a voice actor to replace Hayden "made of wood that whines" Christensen.

Oh come on. I'll see your Hayden Christensen and raise a you a Mark Hamill. I mean, Mark Hamill!

But Hamill at least had Harrison Ford as a counter-balance... otherwise, touché!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 11:12:11 PM

But Hamill at least had Harrison Ford as a counter-balance... otherwise, touché!

Christensen had Ewan MacGregor.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 01:44:14 PM
Another way my kids got in to Star Wars was from playing the video games.   We have every Star Wars game for XBox and XBox 360.  When it came time to pick a movie to watch they always wanted something Star Wars. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan