Author Topic: EP027: Union Dues - Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw  (Read 11779 times)

Russell Nash

on: March 31, 2008, 08:55:34 PM
EP027: Union Dues - Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw

By Jeffrey R. DeRego.
Read by Jonathon Sullivan.

"You super folks must think we’re pretty damn foolish, especially us in the law enforcement community.”

Look at him leaning back with his feet up on the desk. Did he just walk out of Cool Hand Luke? Sheesh, you’d think a sheriff would want to be more dignified. “No sir. You and your brethren are integral to the fabric of society. We of The Union are grateful for your hard work and courage.” I can rattle that sort of crap off all day long.

Rated PG. Contains graphic scenes of class conflict and superhuman self-doubt.

Referenced Sites:
HorrorView
Beyond the Storm: Shadows of the Big Easy
SFFAudio

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:31:21 AM
BEST UNION DUES EVAR!!!!!111

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:02 PM
Yes, this was my favorite UD story so far.  I really enjoyed getting a look at the social conflict between the Union members and the normal populace.  Honestly, I enjoy it a lot more now, having heard "All That We Leave Behind."  Two vaguley similiar scenarios with vastly different outcomes.  I'm also really getting interested in the Megaton character.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:32:08 PM
Wow, I really enjoyed this one! The narration was phenomenal. I think I enjoyed this one better than All That We Leave Behind... gonna have to relisten to that other one, now. Might work a little better since I have a little more background information in which to set the story.

Mojo

• Extern
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:08:34 PM
This was my first exposure to the Union Dues series (Just last week.).  Mr DeRego, you have my thanks and awe.  I love this story and look forward to the rest. 

Bob

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job.
It's a depression when you lose yours.
     -- Harry Truman

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:10:28 PM
A great beginning to the series!

I am simply awestruck that DeRego is able to consistently create stories that essentially consist of two people discussing politics and philosophy into compelling stories.  Granted, my favorite in the series so far is the one with fight scenes, but still, very impressive.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 06:22:50 PM
A great beginning to the series!

I am simply awestruck that DeRego is able to consistently create stories that essentially consist of two people discussing politics and philosophy into compelling stories.  Granted, my favorite in the series so far is the one with fight scenes, but still, very impressive.

Thanks!

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 12:51:57 PM
I've been hearing about this Union Dues thing for a while. Since I've been working through the Escape Pod back catalog, I decided to assemble all the Union Dues stories together and that was most of my week's commute. I still have a couple left, but I'm impressed with the series as a whole considering the depth of world and complexity of character and morality.

My biggest question on this one was, who is the glass jaw? It's a great pulpy title but it doesn't seem to fully coalesce.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:29 PM
I've been hearing about this Union Dues thing for a while. Since I've been working through the Escape Pod back catalog, I decided to assemble all the Union Dues stories together and that was most of my week's commute. I still have a couple left, but I'm impressed with the series as a whole considering the depth of world and complexity of character and morality.

My biggest question on this one was, who is the glass jaw? It's a great pulpy title but it doesn't seem to fully coalesce.

It was a play on words, Megaton, by virtue of his conversations with Sheriff Tom, shows that he is vulnerable i.e. that he, and through him, The Union, can be hurt as if they were a fighter with a glass jaw.

I also needed a title that wasn't "Union Dues" as was originally written in 1991, and BY 2005 had a few more of these written as "Union Dues" stories, so when I was preparing to submit it to Steve I came up with Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:03:50 AM

It was a play on words, Megaton, by virtue of his conversations with Sheriff Tom, shows that he is vulnerable i.e. that he, and through him, The Union, can be hurt as if they were a fighter with a glass jaw.

I also needed a title that wasn't "Union Dues" as was originally written in 1991, and BY 2005 had a few more of these written as "Union Dues" stories, so when I was preparing to submit it to Steve I came up with Iron Bars and the Glass Jaw.

That's awesome and totally makes sense now, thanks!

When I was compiling the episodes I apparently missed a couple, so I guess I'll finish up in the next week or so. The series as a whole is really strong, and a Union Dues story is probably what I would press on folks if I want to encourage them to listen to Escape Pod.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:53 PM
There sre three stories producex outside of EP at clonepod.org. they are the first three team shikaragaki stories. The first one is tough on the ears. I am happy to email you a hard copy if you can't get through it. That said, I approached clonepod because the voices of the hosts were analogs for the voices of the characters. So even if you can't get through them it is good to give a listen to some to get a feel for how I heard them.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:13 PM
How are we doing on getting a print collection of these out?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 01:58:26 AM
How are we doing on getting a print collection of these out?

Pretty well.

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 04:54:46 PM
It's been one week today that I discovered and started listening to Escape Pod, listening from episode 1 and in the correct order. I'm already up to this episode, number 27, so that must say something about how much I am enjoying them. Having just listened to this, I think it's one of my favourites so far. I really like the dialogue driven stories like this and especially like the concept of a superhero union and the way the author explores the 'human' aspect behind the superhero. From what I've read in this thread, I gather there are more stories to come set in this universe, so I'll certainly look forward to that !

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:36 PM
From what I've read in this thread, I gather there are more stories to come set in this universe, so I'll certainly look forward to that !

There are!  Quite a few. 

And I think there are some that are published elsewhere as well, including some YA-focused ones on the now-defunct ClonePod I think? 

Supernova

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:00:12 PM
From what I've read in this thread, I gather there are more stories to come set in this universe, so I'll certainly look forward to that !

There are!  Quite a few. 

And I think there are some that are published elsewhere as well, including some YA-focused ones on the now-defunct ClonePod I think? 

I just looked up ClonePod and indeed there are three stories on the site: Union Dues: Team Shikaragaki - The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro, Union Dues: The Saga of Tam Suji and Union Dues: The Sojourn of Taizen Kiro.

I can't believe how I have somehow missed this entire Sci-Fi podcasting community for so many years. Still, arriving 11 years late to the party does give me a LOT of material to enjoy  :)

BoojumsRCool

• Palmer
    • The Boojum
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:24 AM
I miss Clonepod    :-\

Boojums ARE cool!

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 05:24:22 AM

There are!  Quite a few. 

I just looked up ClonePod and indeed there are three stories on the site: Union Dues: Team Shikaragaki - The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro, Union Dues: The Saga of Tam Suji and Union Dues: The Sojourn of Taizen Kiro.

I can't believe how I have somehow missed this entire Sci-Fi podcasting community for so many years. Still, arriving 11 years late to the party does give me a LOT of material to enjoy  :)

They weren't really YA focused, just that the main characters were YA who were dealing with very grown up problems. There are a few more still being written that follow the Team Shikaragaki gang. I just don't have a good place to land them, and the stories have become to episodic that they no longer stand alone.