Author Topic: PodCastle Episode 1: "Come Lady Death" by Peter Beagle  (Read 32979 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Re: PodCastle Episode 1: "Come Lady Death" by Peter Beagle
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »
Once I stopped having the mental picture of the Death of the Discworld out of my mind when the story got to the point where death showed up, I was able to get into it better. Having listened to at least 5 Discworld books in just a few days, I had it imprinted in my mind.

[off topic]
Which ones? The ones read by Nigel Planer?  I've heard Hogfather, Guards! Guards! and I think one more (and of course the three Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice read by Stephen Briggs) ... I've got all the audios unabridged except Small Gods ... have the Tony Robinson reading of that.
[/off topic]
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »
Once I stopped having the mental picture of the Death of the Discworld out of my mind when the story got to the point where death showed up, I was able to get into it better. Having listened to at least 5 Discworld books in just a few days, I had it imprinted in my mind.

[off topic]
Which ones? The ones read by Nigel Planer?  I've heard Hogfather, Guards! Guards! and I think one more (and of course the three Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice read by Stephen Briggs) ... I've got all the audios unabridged except Small Gods ... have the Tony Robinson reading of that.
[/off topic]

How do they deal with the footnotes?

If this goes too far/long, I'll split it into a different thread.
I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

ajames

• Lochage
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »
Well worth the wait!

Wouldn't you know that my i-pod went through the wash the day before this came out? For the second time this year? [Takes a day or two to dry out - but it still works like new, and is so much cleaner! ::)]

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 10:15:05 PM »

[off topic]
[/off topic]

How do they deal with the footnotes?

If this goes too far/long, I'll split it into a different thread.

In order, up to Wyrd Sisters, which I am on, but need to finish listening too. I was getting burned out on em {:0p Nigel Planer, yes, other than the ones read by a woman whose name escapes me.

Footnotes are read with an echo.
The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »
Great story, reading, and well, everything!

Being somewhat underread in the fantasy genre I didn't pick up on any of the influences behind this story. I was wondering if everyone ate the salmon mousse, though.

Chey

• Extern
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »
I loved the story, and am now kicking myself for not having discovered the author before now.  I will admit I’m not a fan of the theme music though.  This surprised me since pseudopod and escape pod have music which fits them perfectly.

I too am a huge fan of the Pratchett books on audio.  Not only do I get to listen while I’m moving about, but I can actually get my husband to expierence the foolishness and satire that is Pratchett.  I love Stephen Brigg’s reading of the Tiffany Aching series, his Nac Mac Feegle voices are fantastic.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2008, 08:25:45 PM »
It quite reminded me of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Exactly the comparison I was going to use. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I was waiting for a twist or a more sublime or dramatic presentation of the message that "life is worth appreciating." It just seemed to lack the punch that I thought it should have had. The potential was there, but it just didn't deliver, for me. The style and tone were beautiful, and I did like the story, I just didn't love it. I'm very excited about what's to come, though!

Windup

• Hipparch
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »
That was a fabulous beginning.  I haven't heard of the author before, but will probably be looking him up in the near future.  I was impressed by his ability to avoid turning it into just another "supernatural being takes revenge on heartless rich people" story and go for real subtlety and nuance. 

I didn't sense the hostess becoming Death as being so much a punishment as simply the logical outcome of where her choices thus far have taken her.  I think she might actually enjoy the job, once she finds her bearings...

If this is what we have to look forward to, I'm looking forward to more Podcastle.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

sonata

• Extern
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »
Great way to start out!

I really like the theme music... what is it/who is it by?

hautdesert

• Editor
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »
Great way to start out!

I really like the theme music... what is it/who is it by?

It's by Shiva in Exile.

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/shiva-ethnic/

Rain

• Matross
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
There were many interesting ideas here and i really liked the first half, after that it just seemed to dra out a little, could have done with maybe 5 minutes cut out there

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »
There were many interesting ideas here and i really liked the first half, after that it just seemed to dra out a little, could have done with maybe 5 minutes cut out there
Really?
I though it was pretty well timed. Where do you think it was drawn on too long?
How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

sonata

• Extern
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »
Just wondering--did Peter S. Beagle himself submit this story to PodCastle?

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Our Esteemed Editor occasionally goes out to solicit stories he likes.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 04:05:25 AM »
It's my understanding that Peter Beagle and his business manager approached Steve.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 04:31:30 AM »
It's my understanding that Peter Beagle and his business manager approached Steve.

Steve's said in the past that authors have come to him after getting letters from fans telling them to go to Steve, so if you want something in EP/PP/PC you might want to try writing the author a letter.
I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

sirana

• Lochage
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 08:34:34 AM »
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I still have to aggree with the majority.
That was a really really good story and an excellent first story for the Best Fantasy Podcast that I expect Podcastle to be.

coldwater

• Extern
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »
yawn.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
yawn.
Wow... tough crowd. :)
Care to expound?
How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »
I really liked this one, but I'm usually a sucker for Death as an anthropomorphic personifcation, especially one where Death has different than typical qualities (like Pratchett's or this one).

I think it's cool how this story was done without a single supernatural occurrence happening on-screen.

I like how Death was so insecure, not what I would've expected at all.  I saw the ending coming a little way away, but it wasn't any worse for it.

It's no surprise this tale has passed the test of time!