Author Topic: From NPR 01/06/07 - Economic-Focused Science Fiction Possibilities  (Read 9282 times)

Jim Crow

• Extern
  • Death Magic Voodoo
I get the NPR:Most E-Mailed Stories podcast, which is essentially the most popular side-stories and interesting original pieces on any given day.  Seeing as how I get most of my news from CNN.com, I don't need the regular news bulletin, but the pieces that are run here are so varied and random that it's something I try not to miss.

In any case, today's podcast (collecting yesterday's pieces)  included the piece that can be fully heard here:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6737044

The quick intro from the page I linked:
Weekend Edition Sunday, January 7, 2007 · During the Cold War, science-fiction tales of alien invasion mirrored society's fear of Communism, and monsters from Frankenstein to Godzilla have tapped into our unease about the boundaries of science.

But a new type of genre fiction has plots centering around business and economics. A book by T. C. Boyle takes the subject of identity theft and treats it like a horror story.

Several other writers are also turning their attention to our preoccupation with finances and business, and finding fertile ground.

It's predominately, but not specifically sci-fi, as it begins by discussing an economic based horror-genre story, but the final four or five minutes of the piece (it's about seven minutes long) concerns Science-Fiction and Fantasy, and has some small interview pieces with a few authors, including a Hugo winner.  I found it pretty interesting, and thought you all might want to check it out and/or discuss it.

Russell Nash

NPR never ceases to amaze me. I get around 40 of thier podcasts and never stop shaking my head at how eclectic they can be.

Brian Reilly

• Palmer
  • Bigger on the inside
On the subject of economics and SF, well-known SF author Cory Doctorow has been named by the World Economic forum as one of the Young Global Leaders for 2007. I have no idea what this means. On the other hand, I am in good company as it's clear from his site that Cory doesn't either.

The 21st Century is when it all changes, and you’ve gotta be ready- Captain Jack, Torchwood.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
On the subject of economics and SF, well-known SF author Cory Doctorow has been named by the World Economic forum as one of the Young Global Leaders for 2007. I have no idea what this means. On the other hand, I am in good company as it's clear from his site that Cory doesn't either.

It means that when the other Young Global Leaders rise to dominate us with their Young Robot Hordes, Cory will make sure said robots are free of DRM.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Ryuujin

Yay, I think. At DRM-free robots. At least they wont cease functioning because you clone them. XD

Meh, I can't say I like that story in particular.. But that's just me..