Author Topic: Film Poll Episode XXVI: A New Hope  (Read 7680 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:35 PM
Okay, so last week was a slaughter.  Princess Bride got 18 votes, other films got 5 votes.  That's five votes split between the four other films in the poll.

So, I think Princess Bride has some fans around here.  Must be all the new Podcastle listeners, right?  Well, let's see how it does this week...

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:11:47 PM
Love Princess Bride, but it's already in the finals and TRON is TRON.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:37:46 PM
This was a tougher slate... but had to go with the champ.

Amadeus was good, but I haven't been moved to see it again.  The first time was probably ruined for me because I watched it with my grandmother.  The opening sequence, in which the camera moved through Salieri's empty mansion as you hear the dying Salieri crying out "Amadeus" would have been MUCH more effective without her asking difficult and distracting questions, like "Is this Amadeus's house?" or (when a cat ran across the screen) "Is that Amadeus's cat?"

Tron... well, it weirded me out as a kid, and I lack a certain "suspension of disbelief" needed to enjoy it now.

I walked away for a bit, and forgot the other one....

But Brazil; as much as I liked it, it didn't grab me (if you'd said "Fisher King", that would have won) the way PB did.  The song, on the other hand, is a winner, whether by Django... Pink Martini... Brazil... or my personal favorite: Les Paul.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:59:43 AM
Again no contest, and again The Princess Bride.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:34:49 AM
For me, it's no contest either - but it's Brazil.  I love Princess Bride, but Brazil is just freaking awesome on so many levels.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:51:49 PM
For me, it's no contest either - but it's Brazil.  I love Princess Bride, but Brazil is just freaking awesome on so many levels.

total
brazil is one off my all time faveret fillms, no contest PB is good but brazil is a legend

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:14:24 PM
Okay, so last week was a slaughter.  Princess Bride got 18 votes, other films got 5 votes.  That's five votes split between the four other films in the poll.

So, I think Princess Bride has some fans around here.  Must be all the new Podcastle listeners, right?  Well, let's see how it does this week...

I hate The Princess Bride. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:30:45 PM
Hard to pick between Fargo and Brazil, but I had to go with Fargo.  It's so Minnesota.   I think I'd rather be in Brazil right now, though.  Still haven't seen Princess Bride but it is on the NetFlix queue.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:51:35 PM
I've never watched Fargo straight through from start to finish and Brazil is on my NetFlix queue, so I'm going to withhold my vote, I think. Tron is fun, but I couldn't vote for it against PB and Amadeus, and I really can't decide between Amadeus and PB.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:43:06 PM
I thought Fargo (and even more so, The Big Lebowski) to be one of the Coen brothers' lesser films.  Actually, now that I think of it, none of their other films has quite measured up to Blood Simple for my money. 

Haven't seen No Country for Old Men yet though.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 05:22:51 PM
I might have voted for Fargo, but that would have been inconceivable.

eytanz

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 07:34:02 PM
From the four new movies on the list, I would have easily picked Brazil, a favorite of mine since I watched it as a teen. Amadeus is a good movie, but not a great movie IMO. Like stePH, I feel Fargo is a lesser Cohen Brothers creation (though I know many disagree, and unlike stePH I think Big Lebowski is utter brilliance). I haven't seen Tron, but I don't get the feeling that seeing it would likely change my mind.

And in any case, all these opinions are moot since Princess Bride is still on the list. Brazil may have come closest yet to a real challenge for it in my mind, but it's still lagging by a wide margin.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 08:22:56 PM
Has Lebowski been up in the film poll yet?  Because I could see that one doing pretty well, depending on what it's pitted against (no worse than Fargo, at least).

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 08:26:02 PM
Has Lebowski been up in the film poll yet?  Because I could see that one doing pretty well, depending on what it's pitted against (no worse than Fargo, at least).

The Big Lebowski has been in the poll, long ago.  It came in third, behind Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Two Towers.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 08:30:41 PM
I might have voted for Fargo, but that would have been inconceivable.
you keep on using that word I do not think it means what you think it means

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 07:33:42 PM
PB is doing some serious bitch slapping again and this time there is decent competition.