Author Topic: PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest VII Rules, Schedule, and FAQ  (Read 17325 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 06:11:18 AM
You can absolutely vote for stories if you're a contestant. You can even vote on your own story! You cannot get others to vote on your story by claiming it as your own publicly or by telling others in private which story is yours :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 06:24:36 AM
If there are only 15 stories in the Semi Finals, couldn't that just be the Finals?

That's... not a bad idea.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 10:50:11 AM
Apologies if this is a daft question - is it considered acceptable to participate in the voting if you've entered a story?

It certainly is!

guilte

• Extern
Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 09:18:33 PM
You can absolutely vote for stories if you're a contestant. You can even vote on your own story! You cannot get others to vote on your story by claiming it as your own publicly or by telling others in private which story is yours :)

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying. Despite being a long-term Pseudopod listener/subscriber, I've never really observed the existence of the forums before and the whole nature of the flash contest has been a little tricky to figure out :-)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 04:28:05 PM
Groups 1-4 have been released! Let the voting begin!

There will be a change to the schedule -- I'm going to combine the semifinal into one 15-story final round (brutal, I know). I'll have a new schedule drawn up sometime today/tomorrow along with a link to the file itself if anyone wants a text version.

peachtiger

• Extern
Reply #30 on: October 05, 2021, 04:25:43 PM
Obligatory first post, and looking forward to reading!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #31 on: October 07, 2021, 03:49:33 AM
FYI, the next set of groups are to be posted on the 11th. I have a flight that day so they'll be a little late getting posted!

kjy1066

• Extern
Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 10:42:20 AM
Groups 1-4 have been released! Let the voting begin!

There will be a change to the schedule -- I'm going to combine the semifinal into one 15-story final round (brutal, I know). I'll have a new schedule drawn up sometime today/tomorrow along with a link to the file itself if anyone wants a text version.

Question: at risk of sounding a little daft, I'm unsure where the stories for these groups will be available to read. Am I missing a link?

Kenderyn

• Extern
  • There is no Dana, only Zuul.
Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 12:15:48 PM
They are in the Arcade section of the forums under Pseudopod Flash Fiction contest VII;)

wordbomb

• Palmer
Reply #34 on: October 08, 2021, 01:17:09 AM
Excited to catch up on all of these submissions!

Fabius

• Extern
Reply #35 on: October 09, 2021, 12:26:17 AM
Not sure how to actually place my vote. I get to the screen that says pick your 3 favorite stories in the group. When I click on one it appears to just take me to that story...

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #36 on: October 09, 2021, 05:58:36 AM
Not sure how to actually place my vote. I get to the screen that says pick your 3 favorite stories in the group. When I click on one it appears to just take me to that story...

You shouldn't even be able to see the stories before you make a post in the forums - there was a permissions problem that allowed you to do that. I've changed the perms on that - so if the stories disappeared for anyone, just make a post and they'll be back!

And! You should have checkboxes next to all the items in the poll to allow you to vote for three stories.

SlapStevens

• Extern
Reply #37 on: October 09, 2021, 07:25:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I am new to this whole forum thing.... Excited to join the digital age!

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #38 on: October 09, 2021, 08:20:41 PM
When the heat winners go through to the next round, it might be nice/sensible/fair if they don't have to compete with those they've already competed with. I.e. if winner of group 1 goes into the first 2nd round group, and the 2nd place goes into the 2nd 2nd, and the 3rd into the 3rd, and then the winner of group 2 goes into the second 2nd round group, and so on, (striped, if you like) then each story will compete against new opposition. Just an idea!

jaybird

• Extern
Reply #39 on: October 09, 2021, 08:26:58 PM
Excited to participate. Thanks for explaining the rules!

TheYonderBeckons

• Extern
Reply #40 on: October 09, 2021, 11:00:37 PM

You shouldn't even be able to see the stories before you make a post in the forums - there was a permissions problem that allowed you to do that. I've changed the perms on that - so if the stories disappeared for anyone, just make a post and they'll be back!

And! You should have checkboxes next to all the items in the poll to allow you to vote for three stories.

I was wondering where the stories had gone!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #41 on: October 09, 2021, 11:25:11 PM
Sorry, folks

ZekeSixsmith

• Peltast
Reply #42 on: October 10, 2021, 11:23:19 AM
Do people usually submit stories that haven't been beta-d by anyone to preserve anonymity? Or have beta readers but don't tell them about the competition? I feel like the Venn diagram of the friends I have that I would swap critiques with and the ones who would get a lot out of this competition is a circle.

GhostHands

• Extern
Reply #43 on: October 10, 2021, 05:01:59 PM
Thanks! I was wondering what happened 😊. Excited to participate this year!

Languorous Lass

Reply #44 on: October 10, 2021, 11:30:04 PM
Do people usually submit stories that haven't been beta-d by anyone to preserve anonymity? Or have beta readers but don't tell them about the competition? I feel like the Venn diagram of the friends I have that I would swap critiques with and the ones who would get a lot out of this competition is a circle.

Zeke, members of my writing group don't show each other stories they plan to submit to EA contests. 

angrybread

• Extern
Reply #45 on: October 11, 2021, 12:42:18 PM
Are the new groups up? I think I mistakenly got to them earlier when I clicked group 1 but it went back to normal.

GordonDun

• Extern
Reply #46 on: October 11, 2021, 01:40:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification! I am new to this whole forum thing.... Excited to join the digital age!
I thought I was the only one. Excited for to be a part of this

babarnett

• Extern
Reply #47 on: October 11, 2021, 03:23:56 PM

Thanks for clarifying that!

silverpine

• Lochage
Reply #48 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:45 PM
More groups being posted today? I just see last week's 4.

lou

• Extern
Reply #49 on: October 11, 2021, 07:25:11 PM
Wasn't today supposed to be the second set of Round 1 groups?

My concern is that stories that end up in later groups are already at a disadvantage due to review fatigue, and not having them show up on the advertised day makes it even more likely that these later stories won't be voted on as much as the earlier ones.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:45:19 PM by lou »