Author Topic: PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest VII Rules, Schedule, and FAQ  (Read 17327 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #50 on: October 11, 2021, 08:16:01 PM
Hi! As I posted earlier, I was traveling today and the next groups are going to be a bit late. Working on them now!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #51 on: October 11, 2021, 08:36:16 PM
Alllright, sorry for the delay, folks, but Groups 5-8 have been posted!

My concern is that stories that end up in later groups are already at a disadvantage due to review fatigue, and not having them show up on the advertised day makes it even more likely that these later stories won't be voted on as much as the earlier ones.

Yes, voter fatigue is a thing. Unfortunately, I'm human and while I endeavor to get groups posted around midnight when they're scheduled to appear, life happens. These groups will be available for voting for 3 weeks. I don't think a few hours on the front-end of that is going to tank the vote.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #52 on: October 11, 2021, 08:43:37 PM
Note: schedule has been updated in the first post, and you can also now view that schedule here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kTdCoOjVF_eXxPLUqh_N7Ds6wLSBfhtND4z1ZWxA5qU/edit?usp=sharing

lou

• Extern
Reply #53 on: October 11, 2021, 09:37:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'm human and while I endeavor to get groups posted around midnight when they're scheduled to appear, life happens.

Sorry, didn't mean to appear as if I'm complaining!  This is awesome, and I'm so glad to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 09:39:47 PM by lou »

mary08033

• Extern
Reply #54 on: October 12, 2021, 03:54:08 PM
Hooray for new entries!

ZekeSixsmith

• Peltast
Reply #55 on: October 13, 2021, 11:42:36 AM
Zeke, members of my writing group don't show each other stories they plan to submit to EA contests.

Thanks Languorous Lass! That definitely seems like the better way to go.

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #56 on: October 14, 2021, 11:37:39 AM
Not going to suggest how anyone votes, but as this is quite a long contest, and I've been picking off commenting on those stories with no comments, because I feel the feedback is a major part of this, and sometimes there seems to be a reluctance to be first up to comment. That said, the last stories with no comments are quite likely to be... trickier? Slightly unloved? But if you are diving in and can spare the feedback for the lonely stories, then go for it!

misterkyle1901

• Extern
Reply #57 on: October 14, 2021, 11:53:28 AM
Feeling’ a little dumb, I can’t seem to find these stories? I was able to view the first round right in this forum.

Edit: by some coding sorcery, I was able to view right after I posted which would be my first post. Lesson learned; I’ll pass it on to my next life.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:56:55 AM by misterkyle1901 »

NathanM

• Extern
Reply #58 on: October 15, 2021, 01:52:23 AM
Feeling’ a little dumb, I can’t seem to find these stories? I was able to view the first round right in this forum.

Edit: by some coding sorcery, I was able to view right after I posted which would be my first post. Lesson learned; I’ll pass it on to my next life.

What is this sorcery? Because I've had the same problem the whole time. I can not for the life of me find the actual stories.

silverpine

• Lochage
Reply #59 on: October 15, 2021, 06:10:01 AM
What is this sorcery? Because I've had the same problem the whole time. I can not for the life of me find the actual stories.

You need to be logged in and have posted on the forum at least once and then go here:  Escape Artists > The Arcade > Flash Fiction Contest VII - PseudoPod (http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?board=478.0) and you should see the groups of stories posted so far (at the moment 8 groups). Click each and the stories are there. If not, then there's some problem.

PigFarmer

• Extern
Reply #60 on: October 16, 2021, 05:47:41 PM
This is helpful information.  Currently I can't see the stories, but maybe posting this reply will reveal the magic.

MonsieurMoustache

• Lochage
    • chantalbeaulne.com
Reply #61 on: October 16, 2021, 10:25:09 PM
Do people usually submit stories that haven't been beta-d by anyone to preserve anonymity? Or have beta readers but don't tell them about the competition? I feel like the Venn diagram of the friends I have that I would swap critiques with and the ones who would get a lot out of this competition is a circle.

I myself turned to friends who don't participate in this contest to help proof-read my submission. My writing group has at least two members who are active here and it wouldn't be fair. It's good to have multiple writing friends/people willing to read your work even if they aren't writers. It is interesting to see the reactions of my other writing friends whom I don't normally send horror to, though!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 01:01:48 AM by MonsieurMoustache »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #62 on: October 18, 2021, 05:31:29 AM
Groups 9 through 12 are live! Now go do that voodoo that you do so well!

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #63 on: October 18, 2021, 11:22:25 AM
Groups 9 through 12 are live! Now go do that voodoo that you do so well!
I’m curious, how are you finding participation with the new format compared to the previous way of releasing stories? Are the stories getting similar views/comments? Has it helped with reader drop off?

Ettan

• Peltast
    • Weird Wild Art
Reply #64 on: October 18, 2021, 11:27:24 AM
I like the new format of how stories are appearing in batches a week apart. It feels less pressured.

weirdwildart.com

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #65 on: October 18, 2021, 02:25:25 PM
I haven't done any analytics on it yet. I'm waiting for a full set to close out before I start on that whole project. I'm definitely curious to see how the new format is working though. It'll be a learning experience either way.

At this moment, I feel like I made the right decision -- it just *feels* like there's more time to read each story before another bunch roll out, unlike previous contests where it was every other day you'd get another load of stories.

Hopefully the numbers will be clear enough to draw conclusions. It's hard though, since there are sooo many other factors that could influence these numbers. But we'll see :)

Hrothgar

• Extern
Reply #66 on: October 19, 2021, 01:48:58 PM
Looking forward to reading these...

CWL

• Extern
Reply #67 on: October 20, 2021, 10:17:21 PM
Hello, just learned that I had to register here to see the FF contest stories (including mine), and also that I have to post something first so my newborn account is not purged. I have no idea if this will work, so I'll just post and see.

Bertilak

• Extern
Reply #68 on: October 21, 2021, 01:51:05 PM
It's easy, just make a post & you will be activated

Francis

• Extern
Reply #69 on: October 22, 2021, 02:30:21 PM
Yes, it is easy...

Qwertyuiopasd

• Extern
Reply #70 on: October 23, 2021, 01:57:21 PM
By thisse post I do make thy incantacion to reveal the horror!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #71 on: October 25, 2021, 01:46:54 PM
Groups 13 through 16 have been released!

Also, Groups 1 through 4 polls have closed! (Woo!). Winners of these groups will be officially announced later today.

phenobarbiidoll

• Extern
Reply #72 on: October 26, 2021, 02:25:51 AM
Hello, just learned that I had to register here to see the FF contest stories (including mine), and also that I have to post something first so my newborn account is not purged. I have no idea if this will work, so I'll just post and see.

Thanks for this, I have been trying figure out how to read the stories!

Xanturi

• Extern
Reply #73 on: October 26, 2021, 05:57:28 PM
Hello. I'm extremely confused. I submitted to this contest and I last time I checked up on the polling, around the time of the first groups release, I could see everything. Now I can only see this thread...
EDIT: Never mind, it seems to have appeared now.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #74 on: October 26, 2021, 07:46:21 PM
Hello. I'm extremely confused. I submitted to this contest and I last time I checked up on the polling, around the time of the first groups release, I could see everything. Now I can only see this thread...
EDIT: Never mind, it seems to have appeared now.

I had board permissions screwed up at first. You need to have at least one post to view the stories 🙃