Author Topic: EP798-799: No Strangers Any More  (Read 1756 times)

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
on: August 27, 2021, 08:45:58 PM
Escape Pod 798-799: No Strangers Any More
Author : Ian Creasey Narrator : Pippa Alice Stephens Host : Mur Lafferty Audio Producer : Summer Brooks

“No Strangers Any More” originally appeared in Analog (July/August 2016)

I really liked this. It grabs you right off the bat with that meeting with aliens who want to buy the moon. Despite don’t having any action, it manages to keep you hooked.

Every scene breaks into interludes that are funny commentaries on tabloids, and that was very clever. The podcaster comments on this in the beginning of the second part. And it’s not only that, but the whole story is a commentary on British society. The author’s commentary about The Uk being irrelevant after leaving the EU shows his opinion on the subject  ;D.

Actually, the whole thing says that the British won’t change. Even when aliens and moon-selling are a thing, the Royal Family will keep on visiting people on their 100th birthday and talking in Received Pronunciation (while receiving tax money). I think that the story implies that the Monarchy shouldn’t exist.

The main character not knowing about AIDS felt weird though. She’s supposed to be educated, and it’s not even that far in the future (she even thinks about Marie Antoniette). And I remember that moment when Diana shook the hands of the man who had AIDS btw. He was in a wheelchair and visibly feeble. It meant a lot at the time.

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 10:52:46 PM
I think that the story implies that the Monarchy shouldn’t exist.

Interesting. I thought the story was pointing out how the British monarchy will always have a role to play as apolitical diplomats.