Escape Artists
August 19, 2018, 07:04:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP152: The Big Guy  (Read 22106 times)
RobinR
Extern

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »

I'm fairly new to Pseudo and Escape Pod, and I heard this one just today. Maybe it's just my horror writing mind at work, but when Ralph says he wants to experience love and losing love, I wondered how he was going to manage it when he decided that the love part was over and it was time to lose it. He can't change the emotions of another person easily, so wouldn't his robot logic tell him he just has to "lose" the whole person? In a quick and easy way?
DDog
Matross

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »

This story was okay. Apparently Mike Resnick is ridiculously prolific in outlets besides Escape Pod as well, but what I've seen so far is just...okay. Maybe I'm expecting too much from sci-fi to change my life or make me laugh, but... Fred and Wilma was pretty good. I liked that Ralph threw the last game just to see what it felt like, and it was better than him just doing awesome and that being the whole story, but it didn't have much of an emotional impact. It was okay.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »

Not great.  I rarely like sports stories.  There only seem to be a few permutations a sports story is expected to go, and anything that doesn't try to take it somewhere new doesn't mark itself as very memorable.  If it had been a more original spec component, maybe that could've carried it, but the robot finding emotions has been done so many times it does little to add freshness.  I listened to it about 2/3 of the way through and then stopped.

As others pointed out, the fact that the league, the fans, and the players were so willing to accept robo additions to just a few teams made it hard to suspend disbelief as well.  I don't expect every speculative element to be possible in our world, of course, but I do hope for internal consistency.

Resnick has raised the bar of expectations with most of his previous stories, and this one couldn't compare.  I know Resnick can do better than this, Barnaby in Exile being a case in point.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: