Author Topic: PseudoPod 773: The Floor Above  (Read 789 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 04, 2021, 06:09:16 AM
PseudoPod 773: The Floor Above

Author: M.L. Humphreys
Narrator: Dave Robison
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Chelsea Davis

“The Floor Above” was originally published in the May 1923 issue of Weird Tales

SEPTEMBER 17, 1922. — I sat down to breakfast this morning with a good appetite. The heat seemed over, and a cool wind blew in from my garden, where chrysanthemums were already budding. The sunshine streamed into the room and fell pleasantly on Mrs. O’Brien’s broad face as she brought in the eggs and coffee. For a supposedly lonely old bachelor the world seemed to me a pretty good place. I was buttering my third set of waffles when the housekeeper again appeared, this time with the mail.

I glanced carelessly at the three or four letters beside my plate. One of them bore a strangely familiar handwriting. I gazed at it a minute, then seized it with a beating heart. Tears almost came into my eyes. There was no doubt about it—it was Arthur Barker’s handwriting! Shaky and changed, to be sure, but ten years have passed since I have seen Arthur, or, rather, since his mysterious disappearance.

For ten years I have not had a word from him. His people know no more than I what has become of him, and long ago we gave him up for dead. He vanished without leaving a trace behind him. It seemed to me, too, that with him vanished the last shreds of my youth. For Arthur was my dearest friend in that happy time. We were boon companions, and many a mad prank we played together.

And now, after ten years of silence, Arthur was writing to me!

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 06:51:49 PM
"I sat down to breakfast this morning with a good appetite," that's a terrifying-enough phrase by itself.  :P

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.