Author Topic: Please Tell Me Some Good Podcasts  (Read 12516 times)

mrund

• Extern
    • Aardvarchaeology
on: April 05, 2008, 04:55:56 PM
I've been laid low all day with a cold. To entertain myself while unable to read, I've listened to podcasts, and when I ran out of shows I subscribe to I started checking out Podcast Alley's top-10. Unfortunately, most people being morons after all, the top-10 aren't any good.

Please tell me your favourite podcasts with a sentence or two explaining what they're about, and I'll list them on my blog!

http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/2008/04/lets_find_some_good_podcasts.php

StankGunner

• Extern
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 03:31:51 AM
If you are a fan of the skeptic movement then you can't go wrong with podcasts.

I noticed on your blog that you already have SGU and Skepticality list, both are fantastic.

In that same vain I would recommend Skeptoid, Point of Inquiry, and Quackcast.  Skeptoid is short enough that you can go back and listen to all of the episodes, they are each about 10 minutes long.

In the opposite vain I can't get enough of the evolution feed from SermonAudio.com.  It is some of the funniest stuff a science minded individual can listen to.  Real fire and brimstone stuff.

I am also a big fan of video games and I like the CAGcast, 1upYours ,and GFW Radio.

A great film podcast is Movies You Should See.

for shows that have less of a niche:

I just recently started listening to Ask Mr. Biggs, which is really addictive.  It uses the callers audio from radio call in shows edited together with a new fake radio show, with hilarious results.  Definitely check it out.

I also have been listening to The Moth Podcast which is a live to tape monologue show that has some really interesting stories.

If you don't listen to NPR on the radio, you should at least be listening to their podcasts.  This American Life is a MUST.  I also like Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me and Car Talk isn't bad either.

Also, there are a whole bunch of really interesting lecture series available on iTunes U.  I have been listening to IB 31: Animal Behavior - Spring 2008 which is done through UC Berkley and I really recommend that one if you want to get a more advanced understanding of what evolution has done.  There are also some Computer Science classes I have started to get interested in.

hmmm... it seams like I listen to alot of podcasts... this wasn't even all of them...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 01:47:07 PM
The entire Escape Artists empire. (duh)

Decoder Ring Theater: A fearless band of Canadians bringing back old-time noir radio drama with Black Jack Justice and The Red Panda Adventures.

Voice of Free Planet X: Jared Axlerod, chef, podcaster, and steampunk extraordinaire, brings random geekery to the podosphere every day.

Steampunk Spactacular: A brand-new steampunk pod-zine. Very well voiced and edited.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:03:39 AM
Check out the Shot Story Podcasts Thread- that covers most that I listen to.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:51:46 AM
It's finished now, but if you like movies, I'd recommend listening to the back episodes of All Movie Talk.

Well, I enjoyed it.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 02:51:34 PM
Don't know if you want political podcasts, but I'll give you the only one I can stand listen to regularly:  Common Sense with Dan Carlin.  His delivery style -- his tone, inflection and rhythm -- remind me of Tom Leykis.  His show content looks at current events and the American political landscape, and he's not above calling the "left" nor the "right" on their stupidities.  It's the only political podcast I've found that doesn't take one side or the other, which is why it's my go-to political 'cast (I sometimes listen to Dani Cutler's "Truth Seekers" but she's pretty solidly on the left.)

(So while I'm about it, can anybody recommend more non-partisan political 'casts?)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 04:22:11 PM
I've always liked the BPP, but it's also broadcast so it's a little hazy on the Podcast bit.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:47:08 PM
I'm a fan of the Drabblecast, which is dedicated to flash fiction, though the stories are usually not for those with a weak stomach.  Norm Sherman does a great job of reading every week, and he usually makes me laugh out loud. 
Mysterious Universe is another favorite, and it's basically an overview of strange things going on in the world this week (it covers UFO's, cryptids, ghosts, and lots more).  I would be on the EA forums much more often of it weren't for MU.   Not that I don't love it here...
I also like X Minus One and The Horror!  Both are rebroadcasts of old radio shows.   X Minus One is scifi, and The Horror! is all... well, horror.  Both generally have great stories, and the old radio commercials in The Horror! are priceless.  Once there was one for chewing tobacco, and the jingle included the lines, "There's women in pants, and women in bars, but there's still a way to show 'em who's boss."  I had to back it up, 'cause I couldn't believe I'd actually heard that.  It was hilarious. 
Hope these help fill your time... and I hope you feel better soon!

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 01:07:30 PM
Check out The Cthulhu Podcast:

http://cthulhu.mypodcast.com/

Hosted by a fellow forum denizen, FNH.  Featuring stories in the theme and style of the Chtulhu mythos, along with period history and music.  Very cool and very fun for fans of the genre.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 12:33:34 AM
I'm a fan of the Drabblecast...

Have they created an MP3 feed yet?

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 03:22:31 AM
Like others here, I'm a fan of The Drabblecast

I'd also recommend Mike Duncan's A History of Rome if you've got any interest in that period at all.  It's very conversational -- like what you'd get if you sat down with a knowledgeable person and said, "So, tell me about the Roman Empire..." It's convenient for a prolonged recovery, because you really should listen from the beginning.

Another one I've like a lot lately is The Moth "true" stories from the teller's life, performed on stage and without notes.  They've been surprisingly funny...

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Chey

• Extern
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:25 PM
I second the History of Rome recommendation.  I also like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, but sadly that doesn't come out with any great regularity.

I love Philosophy Bites and Ethics Bites.  The two men who run it are fantastic interviewers and I don't have to have an understanding of the topic they are discussing before I listen to it.  I have the understanding after the interview though.  Great stuff.

I'm also a fan of The Secret World Chronicle.  It's a super hero world, but it's very entertaining.

Smodcast is great if you are a Kevin Smith fan.

PRI Selected Shorts in another great podcast for short stories.  The reading is done by stars of stage and screen and is fantastic.

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:02 AM
http://balticonpodcast.org

Just stumbled on it today - looks like a fairly good selection of sf interviews + stories.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:23 PM
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Pancast

The PanCast is just finding its feet at the moment (and you may recognise the voice). We expect it to expand in June.

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:09 PM

The PanCast is just finding its feet at the moment (and you may recognise the voice). We expect it to expand in June.

He sounds oddly...Manx...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:55:32 PM

Just picked up on this one this morning.  My only complaint is that I'm behind in my Doctor Who viewing; the Skiffy Channel showed "Partners in Crime" last Friday and shows "The Fires of Vesuvius" tonight.

Troo

• Palmer
    • Hello Spacegirl
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 04:02:14 PM
You hear that, Manx-man? Best talk about something else for a few weeks :D

Trudi Topham,
Editor, Pantechnicon.
Editor, Hub.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 04:16:30 PM
Oh I will.  I will...

clonepod

• Extern
    • clonepod
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 10:30:15 PM
My podcast is in my opinion better than good - its great if you like sff stories read to you!  Go to www.clonepod.org

Listen to sff stories at my podcast, clonepod.org

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 09:29:11 PM
I've been downloading  the CBC's Betweenn the Covers for a while now, but never had the chance to really listen to it.  I finally started in on a story called King Leary.  It's read by Michael Hogan (Colonel Tigh from BSG).  It's a fantastic listen.  I should be starting another soon.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 08:04:58 AM
Decoder Ring Theater: A fearless band of Canadians bringing back old-time noir radio drama with Black Jack Justice and The Red Panda Adventures.

I second that. http://www.decoderringtheater.com/ - Still working my way through the archives.

Red Panda - Sort of like The Green Hornet, except his chauffeur/sidekick is a hot babe. He prefers hypnosis and technology, she prefers bashing heads. Some great chemistry.

Black Jack Justice - His partner is "Trixie Dixon, Girl Detective".

In both series, there is quite a bit of Lampshade Hanging that you wouldn't hear in real OTR, so they don't take themselves too seriously.

Also a few "Deck Gibson - Far Reach Commander" episodes, of "intergalactic adventure".

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 04:45:34 AM
I third the History of Rome podcast, but what got me started on that was the even better Twelve Byzantine Rulers. Though chronologically you may choose to listen to the History of Rome first, it's end is as yet undetermined, whereas 12 Byzantine Rulers is all in a nice, tidy package.

Edit: Oh! I also second This American Life. Absolutely phenomenal podcast/radio show.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:47:57 AM by birdless »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 05:07:57 PM
Oh, Mr. Stuart ... the wife and I are awaiting the next Pancast ...

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 02:26:41 AM
Any one able to help me out with getting back episodes of History of Rome?

I can listen to them on line, but I can't dowload the 1-17 and I'd really like to pass these around.

thx

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 06:24:37 AM
I third the History of Rome podcast, but what got me started on that was the even better Twelve Byzantine Rulers. Though chronologically you may choose to listen to the History of Rome first, it's end is as yet undetermined, whereas 12 Byzantine Rulers is all in a nice, tidy package.

I might check into this.  I've recently started into the podcast "Hardcore History" by Dan Carlin; I've been a fan of his "Common Sense" political podcast for over a year.  Unfortunately Mr. Carlin gets a history podcast out on the order of every two months or so (even worse than for Common Sense, which sees a new episode roughly every ten to twenty days.)