Author Topic: CoW Ep. 466: Badass Neon Sparkle Powers  (Read 745 times)

Languorous Lass

on: September 20, 2021, 01:59:06 AM
Cast of Wonders 466: Badass Neon Sparkle Powers

• Author: Cara Masten DiGirolamo
• Narrator: Mary Fan
• Host: Katherine Inskip
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter
• Artist: Alexis Goble

"Badass Neon Sparkle Powers" is a Cast of Wonders original.

Click here to listen to Episode 466

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There’s a fine line between getting shit done and eating it. I’d crossed that line.

I’d spotted Mr. Khaki Shorts, Mr. Popped Collar, and Little Miss Ugg Boots weaving and laughing on their way out of the Blue Moon. It looked like nothing really, undergrads joking around, but the body language felt a little off. When Khaki Shorts pressed Ugg Boots into the brick of the darkened shoe store, and she cried out, I figured I’d say hi.

I never planned my heroing gig. I didn’t roam around in a mask and spandex or anything. But I work closing at a pizzeria in the heart of Collegetown, and walking to the bus stop at three, four am, you see things.

All heroing is, is just not walking by.

Tags:  Alexis Goble, assault, Cara DiGirolamo, choices, fighting back, heroism, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, Mary Fan, parenting, superhero, superpowers, vigilantism, violence, young adult fiction

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 12:46:24 AM
One can’t just overlook a story with a title like this  ;D.

I thought I was in for cyberpunk though, but that’s ok anyway :P.

The concept reminded me of those twisted superhero stories, like The Tick or The Boys or Invincible. She using her superpowers specifically against abusive men reminded me of A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014).

I really like how snarky the MC’s thoughts are! ;D It sounded like a rant on voice over. It gave the story a teeny touch (although it still remains with very realistic themes).

There are also some nuances on sexism throughout, like she having to drop her studies to marry.

Give it up, Michaela! The world doesn’t need you!”
Bang! You keep calling the character a nickname, and then you use her real name in an important situation. I like this tool, and I have used it myself.

She keeping a brass knuckle in her pocket reminded me of River City Girls.

When Alex said she was going to have a date, I thought the bloke would be the ultimate villain. It would be good, narratively speaking, because the reader cared about Alex. I would grin if Mic were to sucker punch the bloke who harmed her friend with a brass knuckle. But the story ended with an important message anyway.

And I don’t regret listening to this. 8)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 10:33:07 AM by Álex Souza »

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.