Author Topic: EP 800: Give Me Cornbread or Give Me Death  (Read 1869 times)

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
on: September 26, 2021, 05:39:11 PM
I mostly enjoyed this.

The story starts mid-action, as it should, and the kind of action is really my thing. The prose is also great from the start, even made me consider checking those books out (she’s the only person to have wonn the Hugo for best novel three times in a row, and now she’s a finalist again, alongside other known names who are also previous winners. Gee, how do these people even do it?!  :o :o :o)

Although I enjoyed the first scene a lot, the second scene does one of my pet peeves in short-stories: a flashback. Explaining things right after an opening action scene is a structure I see A LOT when I read around in SFFH Magazines. It would be OK if I only saw it once in a while, but there are some magazines that publish at least one story with that exact same structure in every single issue. It bothers me because, I mean, can’t you scatter the worldbuilding through the story, instead of infodumping? ( I wrote a story with that structure once, to see if I would finally praise editors. It didn’t work.  :P :P :P ).

The dystopia is such a bad future, so terrible, so over-the-top, that I don’t think it will ever happen, not under any circumstances whatsoever. Well, let’s hope I’m right. I liked the host’s commentary when she said that the problems were solved with food and cultural heritage.

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:03:36 PM
This story also didn't work for me. I generally like JK Nemesin's work, but this one fell flat for me. It seemed like we were being hit over the head with a sledge hammer regarding the racism point. That said, I liked the idea of training the dragon with food and would have liked to see it fleshed out a bit more.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:12:54 PM by CryptoMe »

mandatGrarl

• Extern
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 08:05:59 AM
Casual dating at its finest – join the leading platform for relaxed and fun encounters!
Verified Maidens
Prime Сasual Dating