Author Topic: EP097: Cinderella Suicide  (Read 47950 times)

sgt.rocks

• Extern
Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 04:27:59 AM
Hurray for my first post!  I found the story very interesting.  There is plenty of texture to the world setting.  I have to agree with an earlier post that the journey wasn't very difficult, and the characters didn't seem to present any special capabilities that allowed them to finish the trip.  But the setting was very interesting.  It would be a great setting for a more developed story.

Curiously, half my opinion comes from reading everyone's commetns....  Hmmm, is this college all over again?

Escape Pod Rocks!

sgt.rocks

"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." Elbert Hubbard

Samantha

• Extern
Reply #76 on: June 22, 2007, 06:23:41 AM
Oh! I'd have never guessed.

How's that sequel coming?

Slower than I'd like!  ;)
Thank you for asking!  :)

floatingtide

• Palmer
Reply #77 on: June 24, 2007, 06:14:29 PM
I loved this story.

I hope we hear more from Samantha even if it isn't the sequel.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #78 on: June 25, 2007, 12:58:32 PM
I, for one, would love a prequel, or a story out of the Tarro (sp), or back in Jolly old England.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

chornbe

• Extern
Reply #79 on: July 24, 2007, 02:50:14 AM
I'm having to re-listen to the story and read along. Yes I admit I had problems following the podcast due to the thick Cockney accent of the reader. I guess, I'll have to admit fault on my part for this since others seem ok with the reading.  :-\

Nah, I'm bad with accents, too. I can do most European ones (even tho' certain regional British ones make me cringe), but middle-easterns and Asians I have a hard time with. To each his own.

More Union Dues, please!

http://thepacepodcast.com

Original Digga

• Extern
Reply #80 on: May 04, 2008, 12:27:10 PM
I just loved this story.  Being a bit of a newcomer to escape pod, I came across this one whilst trolling the archives on the website.

Actually I was listening to some feedback at the end of another episode when I came across it.  The comments intrigued me, and being Australian myself thought I better go back and have a bit of a listen.

I think the narrator Mar is really, really excellent.  I was way impressed with his reading of the 8 episodes story so when I discovered that he read this one, I was hooked.

And yes, a perfect choice for the narrator given that those convicts would've talked exactly like that.

I was blown away by the alternative history and although it did require my most serious attention (quite a few rewinds {does one actually rewind digital media??}) but it was well worth it.

Rather than taking away from the story, I think that the slang actually adds to it.  Helps to create a more constructed world -  and more believable.

Looking forward to hearing more of Mar's reading - I really like the sound of his voice.

Bloody grouse mate, more of this please!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:28:44 PM by Original Digga »

Salutations

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #81 on: March 02, 2010, 06:00:58 PM
Good story!  Twas one of those that just following the events is a challenge, but a fun one.  I've only listened to it once, but I suspect that if I listened to it again I would probably follow 75% of what happened (instead of about 50%).  I hope the author's got another in the works.  :)

Yargling

• Peltast
Reply #82 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:56 PM
I've probably commented on this before, but I agree that its an excellent story upon multiple listens to get the lingo down - the tone, slang, and world combine to generate a thick atmosphere for a novel story.

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #83 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:18 PM
This one gets my vote for best Escape Pod story ever.  The story was perfect: the characters were multi-dimensional, the setting was rich and colorful, and it was even plausible.  The voicework was superb, easily one of the best readings I've ever heard.

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #84 on: October 01, 2011, 07:14:44 PM
Just finished listening to this one as I work my way through the last 20 episodes I haven't listened to before. What others have said before.

Some stories are much better read than listened to.  I think this may be one of them because of the slang.  A reader can pause and think or reread the sentence, a listener cannot.  I think the biggest problem with the reading, though, is the dialect/accent of the reader.  It made a story hard to understand because of the slang that much harder.  For example "duet" would have helped me understand "triune", but "duet" wasn't spoken clearly enough.  I really disliked the beginning, scene setting with was difficult to understand because of the accent and slang. Later on, once the world building was done, the slang slowed down, and the adventuring began, I had a much easier time, but that first bit was a struggle and I considered giving up because it was simply incomprehensible.

I enjoyed the story in the end even though I am not a fan of steam punk and will probably read the text in order to understand, but I don't think it was a good fit for an audio version especially with a heavily accented narrator.

Enock

• Extern
Reply #85 on: October 23, 2023, 07:10:53 PM
I just need to speak about my hard time hearing this. I'm a non native english speaker, and didn't get anything of the story. The weird slangs and heavy accent turned this experience into a nightmare to me. And now that I see how many people loved the story, I just feel dumb for my innability to understand it. Damn, I thought I knew english.

mandatGrarl

• Extern
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Reply #86 on: February 07, 2024, 07:16:03 PM
Break free from traditional dating norms and embrace the best in casual connections.
Authentic Damsels
Optimal Сasual Dating