Author Topic: EP075: Nano Comes to Clifford Falls  (Read 3828 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 17, 2009, 10:00:09 PM
EP075: Nano Comes to Clifford Falls

By Nancy Kress.
Read by Martha Holloway (of the ADD Cast and Podiobooks Pro)

“I like the taste of home-grown tomatoes,” I tell him. “Ones at the Safeway taste like wallpaper.”

“But nano won’t make tomatoes that taste processed,” he says in that way that men like to correct women. “That machinery will make the best tomatoes this town ever tasted.”

“Well, I hope you’re right.” Then Will and Kimee spilled their fight out through the screen door into the back yard, and Jackie started whimpering on his blanket, and I didn’t have no time for any nanomachinery.

Rated R. Contains violence, brief sexual violence, and minor profanity.

Today’s Sponsor:

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:44:20 PM
Not bad, and I liked that not everyone reacted in the same way to the technology.  Personally I think I would adopt a stance somewhere in between the two groups.  I've always wondered what I'd be like if I had grown up rich and hadn't had to work for my money and things--certainly very different.  Especially if I had kids to worry about, I would consider the non-tech stance.  I tend to take the middle ground in this life.  Internet on my phone for instance is a very unappealing idea.

I did find it hard to believe that such a thing would go on the open market like that though, in a capitalist society.  Sort of liking giving away the cow when you can sell the milk.  The first company that created this could patent it and then use it for production.  Production costs would be near zero and it could afford to cut its prices in half, still making a wild profit while driving out the competition.  By giving it to everybody, then it's pretty obvious from the get-go that the huge amounts of people who work to get bigger and better stuff are going to start questioning their motivations.