Author Topic: story suggestion  (Read 8219 times)

Grayven

• Palmer
on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:11 PM
Green Magic by Jack Vance.

eytanz

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 01:33:19 PM
There's no point in suggesting stories to Podcastle (or Escape Pod or PseudoPod) - they don't go out looking for stories, but rather they work on a submission basis. You'd have to contact whoever owns the right to Green Magic and have them submit the story.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 04:17:44 PM
Actually, we do solicit work that we find elsewhere and like.

Thanks for the recommendation, Grayven! The barrier at this point is that I'd need to find a copy of the story and read it, which at the moment is a bit prohibitive (busy, busy, and there are some other "find this book" notes that take priority). If anyone knows of an online copy, please let me know!

Otherwise, I'll make a note of it in our list of possible stories to solicit and take a look when time and scheduling permit.

eytanz

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 06:07:08 PM
Actually, we do solicit work that we find elsewhere and like.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Sorry.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:02:35 PM

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 02:36:12 PM
Thanks, TAD!  I love Vance, myself.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 07:09:23 PM
I have a story suggestion (since you said you take them): "Old Leatherwings" by Elizabeth Bear.  Unfortunately Lenox Avenue, the publisher, has gone away and so has the story, so it's not easily findable online.  I think it may be in her short story collection, but don't know for sure, because I don't own it.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

somacow

• Extern
    • SomaCow
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:00:08 PM
I wonder if any of the old Raistlin, Kaz the Minotaur, or sundry other character pieces from the DL series could be obtained. Multiple authors fashioned those, and surely a few were capable of standing proudly on their own two legs. Or hooves. Or whatever.

Then again, even those stories were pretty lengthy.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:13:31 PM
Story suggestion, for flash fiction:
I Foretold You So by Rod M. Santos

http://www.flashfictiononline.com/f20090401-i-foretold-you-so-rod-santos.html

This is pretty much my favorite flash fiction story ever.

ckastens

• Extern
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 12:03:51 PM
Story suggestion: "Sails Above Greensea" by Adam Corbin Fusco from the April 2009 Realms of Fantasy.

This was my favorite story from RoF last year, and one I'd love to hear narrated.  As an example:
"Ting-tong-ting, the swords sang, matching each to each. Then his father grasped the tantacled ricasso of his blade with his other hand, and in half-sword fashion thrust out, this way and that, the point of the sword licking through the air like an adder's tongue."

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:25:32 PM
Speaking of story suggestions from must get books let me recommend one long out of print but well worth tracking down. It is entitled 25 Modern Short Stories, ed. by Phil Strong, dated aroung 1945 or 49. In it you will find such delights as The Grey Lady, The Pipes of Pan, God in the Garden, Alas All Thinking, The Vengeance of Adam Link, The Graveyard Rats (Lovecraft), and the venerable The Adaptive Ultimate. These stories and several more have some very engaging premises: how does a god make a living when no one believes in them anymore, what would happen if when you said roses are blue, then roses are blue, is the evolutionary race to hyper-intellegence all it's cracked up to be, how do you destroy a predatory mimic you helped create whom you both pity and love.

Homechicken

• Extern
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:44:11 PM
If I may be so bold as to suggest a story, I highly recommend "Dust" by Michael Hiebert. This story appeared in a collection called "Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy" edited by Denise Little. It's a wicked little short story about a tooth fairy with a twist that left me howling.

In the story, tooth fairies are strung out on "dust" (ground-up teeth IIRC), and one night a young girl learns her fairy's name and uses it to summon her every time she gets bored, and how the fairy makes sure she never gets called upon again.

Windswept

• Extern
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:44:10 AM
My favorite story is 14 experiments in postal delivery, is it not possible to have more like this on the pod cast?