Author Topic: The Native Star  (Read 4965 times)

Allie

• Extern
  • Mapmaker / Weather Chaser
    • Twitterer
on: March 29, 2011, 12:04:53 AM
"The year is 1876. In the small Sierra Nevada settlement of Lost Pine, the town witch, Emily Edwards, is being run out of business by an influx of mail-order patent magics. Attempting to solve her problem with a love spell, Emily only makes things worse. But before she can undo the damage, an enchanted artifact falls into her possession—and suddenly Emily must flee for her life, pursued by evil warlocks who want the object for themselves.

Dreadnought Stanton, a warlock from New York City whose personality is as pompous and abrasive as his name, has been exiled to Lost Pine for mysterious reasons. Now he finds himself involuntarily allied with Emily in a race against time—and across the United States by horse, train, and biomechanical flying machine—in quest of the great Professor Mirabilis, who alone can unlock the secret of the coveted artifact. But along the way, Emily and Stanton will be forced to contend with the most powerful and unpredictable magic of all—the magic of the human heart."

Hobson's debut novel quickly became one of my all time favorites! Can't wait for The Hidden Goddess to come out in May ^_^   Thoughts?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:27 PM
It's been a few months since I read it, but I loved The Native Star!

Great characters, great action, great story.  I would love more from this world :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:40:21 PM
Great characters, great action, great story.  I would love more from this world :)

Pssssssst.

;D

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:10 PM
sweet.  ask and i shall receive!   ;D  i just ordered it for my nook.

what a glorious day, by the way.  a new book from M.K. Hobson, a new (personally signed) book from Tim Pratt in my mailbox AND George R. R. Martin announced that A Dance With Dragons is actually complete and in the hands of his publisher.

The squee factor is high.  My poor husband@  ;D

soapturtle

• Extern
    • soapturtle.net
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:18 AM
Oh yay, so glad I found this thread.  I was looking for something good to read and really enjoyed Native Star. :D

When asked nicely, I sometimes read things for people on the internet.
Blog : Voice : Twitter: @soapturtle