Escape Artists
October 25, 2014, 10:14:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 8966 times)
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 01:50:51 PM »

oh, goddammit! they change narrators for the fourth book.

i've got hundreds of hours invested into certain voices for certain characters and now that's all gone. i hate you new guy. you sound like a nice guy but, just... goddammit.

I had the same problem with Kevin Anderson's "Saga of Seven Suns".  Books 1-3 were narrated by George Guidall, who I'm partial to most of the time (exception: Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series), and then the rest were by one David Colacci, who changed pronunciations of several names and places.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »

the fourth book is a disappointment. as mentioned previously, the series is a trilogy that's expanded into a projected seven books. this entire book takes place during a period of time that was meant to be skipped and has only passing relevance to the central story, mostly there's expanded subplots and new characters. stuff that would have been better served as supplemental material seperate from the series itself.

there's several ways that art can suffer for commercialization, too much success is uncommon but it can be just as damaging. if you're encouraged to draw out a story then the plot and pacing can wander.

also, not warming to the new reader at all. at times it almost sounds like Shatner hamming up Shakespeare in the park. still optimistic tho! i'm working through this one and looking forward to the next book when we should be back on track.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:41:46 PM by deflective » Logged
deflective
Hipparch

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

looking forward to this
birdless
Lochage

Five is right out.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 01:12:56 AM »

So i've finally finished the first four books, and i thought they were good. I still maintain that Tad Williams is a better author, and i liked MST better, but SoFaI was still a very enjoyable read for me. I did kinda get frustrated with <spoiler>practically the entire Stark family getting killed. The MST world doesn't seem as grimy and unwashed as the SoFaI world, but that didn't add or detract for me. Also, there isn't nearly as much raping in MST. Geez. But if you did enjoy SoFaI, i really strongly recommend MST. Again. I know, i know, i said it already, but i just don't think Williams gets the credit he deserves.  Tongue
sirana
Lochage

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 02:51:14 AM »

I still maintain that Tad Williams is a better author, and i liked MST better

Blasphemer!

Where is that chair everybody hits Talia with?
Portrait in Flesh
Hipparch

The dog's meat, have you seen it?

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 08:17:16 AM »

I still maintain that Tad Williams is a better author, and i liked MST better

Blasphemer!

Where is that chair everybody hits Talia with?

Not...the Comfy Chair!

Maybe the board should invest in one of those funky Swedish ergonomic chairs for just such emergencies.

"You're creeping me out, and I'm the coroner." --Hellraiser: Hellseeker
wingodzilla
Palmer

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »

Just finished the third book (A Storm of Swords) My God what a kick in the pants for the "Giant of Lannister"

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 03:55:49 PM »

OMG!  Dance with Dragons might actually happen!  There's a release date and everything...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/198122.html
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 04:16:39 PM »

Just finished the first book, it was pretty damn awesome.  I'm going to hold off buying the second until I finish a few more books I'm currently working through, but I'm pretty excited for it.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Musings and Ramblings
BlueLu
Palmer

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

OMG!  Dance with Dragons might actually happen!  There's a release date and everything...

Freakin finally!  Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen that. 

Lena
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »

the new trailer looks AWESOME!  Also, am I the only one who's been picturing Dany with black hair all this time? Seeing her in blonde is really weird...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game-of-thrones-new-trailer/
Tang!
Extern

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Thanks for posting - I had all but given up on the next book.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »

the new trailer looks AWESOME!  Also, am I the only one who's been picturing Dany with black hair all this time? Seeing her in blonde is really weird...

Dany was always described as very blonde/silver haired, as were all of the Targaryens

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Musings and Ramblings
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »

Dany was always described as very blonde/silver haired, as were all of the Targaryens

huh, you're right. makes me wonder how many other characters I've arbitrarily mis-imagined for one reason or another. thanks! Smiley
Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »

Annnnddd... he's finally done writing A Dance With Dragons.  Looks like that publishing date (July 12) is actually going to be hit!
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: