Escape Artists
January 17, 2018, 06:11:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC Miniature 005: Directions  (Read 15770 times)
ROUS
Extern

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »

Ever read any drabbles?

I had not previously heard of those, the term drabble not even ringing a bell.  I immediately went to the trusty Google, checked out a few sites I found, and I must say I find them fascinating.  I have not tried to write one yet, but will do so this weekend; or maybe today if my boss does not hover too closely to my desk.  Thanks for the tip and the suggestion!

Cheers!
p.s. For fun I tried to make this reply exactly one hundred words.  If only it had an interesting plot, or at least a character or two.  Smiley
Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »

Ever read any drabbles?

I had not previously heard of those, the term drabble not even ringing a bell.  I immediately went to the trusty Google, checked out a few sites I found, and I must say I find them fascinating.  I have not tried to write one yet, but will do so this weekend; or maybe today if my boss does not hover too closely to my desk.  Thanks for the tip and the suggestion!

Cheers!
p.s. For fun I tried to make this reply exactly one hundred words.  If only it had an interesting plot, or at least a character or two.  Smiley

They are a great creative exercise. If you go to the 100 Word Stories podcast, you can hear one a day with a weekly challenge where people send in their drabbles. I've been doing it for several weeks. It is open to anyone, so feel free to give it a try! podcasting.isfullofcrap.com

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
Talia

Muahahahaha

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 02:15:41 PM »

This was great. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but it reminded me right off of a absolutely splendid poem by Neil Gaiman

http://beviant.blog.com/1692137/
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »

This was great. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this, but it reminded me right off of a absolutely splendid poem by Neil Gaiman

http://beviant.blog.com/1692137/

Right, I remember that one from Fragile Things now.  I also remember not thinking much of it either.  But it works better as a poem than as prose IMO.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Planish
Hipparch

Fun will now commence.

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »

It helps (with this one, in particular), if you don't think of it as a "short story," but instead as a "painting."  You don't criticize a painting for not being a movie, and maybe you shouldn't criticize a Miniature for not being a Short Story.  It's something else entirely -- a word painting maybe.
My thoughts exactly almost.

I thought of it as more of a page torn out of a scrapbook, a collection of images pasted together with little context. Intriguing.

There is a short road that goes by my house, and I can see a sign from my kitchen window that pronounces it to be a "DEAD END". (Ironically, the road ends at a greenhouse and tree nursery.) I wonder if it was one of those signs that inspired the author?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")
Roney
Lochage

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »

This fell a bit flat for me.  From the title and the opening paragraph I formed an idea of where the story was going to go, and when it moved too slowly, insufficiently weirdly and without any conflict, I felt quite disappointed.

It's interesting that more reactions to this story appear to have been "I could write something exciting in a similar style" than "This story nails the Fantasy SatNav concept so well that there's no point in competing against it" -- it gives me the impression that more people were thrilled by the concept than were awed by the execution.

I liked some of the little touches that gave the story its atmosphere, though, and the reading was sonorous.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »

Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story Smiley

Ocicat
Castle Watchcat

Anything for a Weird Life

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:01:40 PM »

Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story Smiley

I immediately thought the same thing when I read the comic...
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »

I enjoyed the scene descriptions here but, to use Ragtime's words:  "I like my story to have a story in it".  If I didn't expect it to be a story I could enjoy it, but otherwise the complete lack of characters, motivation, and explanation made it very un-story. 

Does it say something about me that I was more creeped out by the road paved with fingernails than the cairn of skulls?
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: