Escape Artists
October 18, 2017, 02:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Group TWELVE (what?!) of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest is now live! (All round 1 groups have been posted!)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is your podcast backlog?  (Read 23877 times)
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »

No music on an iPod is a shocking concept to me.

Well, by the time I got an iPod, I had already been listening exclusively to audiobooks in the car for almost a year, having discovered that they helped the time pass on my weekly drive between Portland and Seattle a lot better than music did. 

I still like to listen to good music, but it doesn't do much to curb boredom for me.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Russell Nash
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 08:54:42 AM »

My backlog was totally out of control.  I went in with a scythe and created great carnage. 

I'm gonna have to do something like this soon.  I have so much room on my ipod, I usually don't delete stuff off my computer, especially not stories.  But I think that's probably going to have to change.

Also, between my podcasts/music backlog and my wife's photoshop, I think we're going to have to finally buy an external harddrive.  There's just too damn much stuff!

By backlog I mean the ones I haven't listened to yet.  My Kept Fiction is an entirely different thing.  Storage space isn't an issue for me (thanks to my 500 GB time capsule).  I was just clearing out stuff that I wasn't going to listen to at all.   
Raving_Lunatic
Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
Lochage

Red Blue Green

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »

I can smile. I just freed up 3GB of space on my hard drive, just enough to grab loads of concerts off the internet and the Air Out My Shorts backlog.
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »

AoMS is my one sin...
okay maybe not the only one...

why must they podfade?!!!

anyway... on topic...
i like having all of my music all of the time on my iPod, that way, wherever I may be with said ipod, whatever situation might come up, i have music to satisfy most people Smiley

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »

Just upgraded from 4GB nano to 16GB iphone, so I've got more room, but my podcast backlog is pretty bad no matter what. I plan to get through everything, but during football season EVERYTHING takes a backseat to TFFG (thefantasyfootballguys.com), which is twice weekly until the playoffs. I'll be caught up by February, I think.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
wintermute
Hipparch

What Would Batman Do?

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 08:53:58 AM »

I'm still using my ~5-year-old iRiver H320. I took the 20GB hard drive out a while ago and replaced it with a 32GB CF card, and it's awesome. If only it had an optical out, it would be the best DAP ever...

Raving Lunatic: Depending on the precise model you have, swapping in more storage may well be trivial. Might be worth looking in to.

A friend of mine is sending me an old 3rd-gen iPod with a failing hard drive and a cracked screen so I can hack around with it, and see what all the fuss is about. But once the hardware is in order, I'll probably install a real operating system on it...

Science means that not all dreams can come true
Russell Nash
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:12 PM »

The scythe was at work again.

I cut:
Digital Photography-tips from the top floor
TED Talks
Podcastle
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »

The scythe was at work again.

I cut:
Digital Photography-tips from the top floor
TED Talks
Podcastle

I'm dropping the axe on:
 The Adultspace Childfree Podcast (Fisher records her regular talk in both channels, but interviews have her in the left channel and the guest in the right, exclusively ... this vexes me to no end),
and The East Coast Conservative Podcast (poor sound quality combined with not-very-well-coordinated dialogue add up to a show not worth my time ... so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.)

Zathras
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »

and The East Coast Conservative Podcast (poor sound quality combined with not-very-well-coordinated dialogue add up to a show not worth my time ... so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.)

I didn't even make it through one episode before cutting it.  Thanks for the Dan Carlin recommendation.  As far as a right-leaning show, you might check out Andrew Wilkow.  I listen to his radio show on Sirius sometimes.  I also enjoyed Jerry Doyle's show when it was on Sirius.  I've been thinking about subscribing, but my plate is pretty full.  He's more libertarian than conservative, though.
Windup
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »

so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.

The Cato Daily Podcast is a principled Libertarian perspective -- I'm not sure if that's what you mean by Conservative or not.  While they seem to do a certain amount of their research in a parallel universe, for me, that's the idea behind listening to a viewpoint I disagree with.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 12:44:42 AM »

Thanks for the Dan Carlin recommendation.  As far as a right-leaning show, you might check out Andrew Wilkow.  I listen to his radio show on Sirius sometimes.  I also enjoyed Jerry Doyle's show when it was on Sirius.  I've been thinking about subscribing, but my plate is pretty full.  He's more libertarian than conservative, though.

Jerry "Michael Garabaldi" Doyle?  I had no idea he had a political podcast.  As for what I'm looking for in a "right-leaning" or "conservative" podcast, I'm looking for something by people pretty much on the side of the current administration (the one that's on the outs come next month) ... sort of like FOX News but more grounded in reality and with less vitriol.  Something like the tone of Dani Cutler's podcast but from the other side.  I've already got her for the left and Carlin for the "middle" (if disparaging both sides counts as being "middle").

[edit]
I see that Mr. Doyle's podcast is by pay-subscription only.  I'm not ready to take that step yet.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:47:09 AM by stePH » Logged

Heradel
Bill Peters, EP Assistant
Hipparch

Part-Time Psychopomp.

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 03:33:52 AM »

so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.

The Cato Daily Podcast is a principled Libertarian perspective -- I'm not sure if that's what you mean by Conservative or not.  While they seem to do a certain amount of their research in a parallel universe, for me, that's the idea behind listening to a viewpoint I disagree with.

I don't listen to their podcasts, but I grew up in the DC think tank culture and some of their reports I've read reflect that research-in-parallel universe thing.

stePH, would you say that you are looking for a David Brooks type of conservative? I know he does a weekly session on NPR's All Things Considered against E.J. Dionne, but I'm not aware of him doing any other audio.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.
izzardfan
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 03:49:23 AM »

Owner of an 80 GB iPod classic, with 361 unplayed podcasts, totalling 11.7 days:

• Escape Pod (caught up)
• Mr. Diety (faded, probably not coming back; according to Brian Keith Dalton, it IS coming back for a third season, though no date has been set yet)
• New Yorker: Fiction (just subscribed last week, 19 unplayed)
• NPR: Story of the Day (caught up; I delete uninteresting titles without listening)
• NPR: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (caught up)
• Podcastle (12 unplayed caught up)
• PRI: Selected Shorts ([18 unplayed)
• Spider on the Web (48 unplayed)
• Starship Sofa (77 unplayed) - I got into this one because they posted Spider Robinson reading his "Melancholy Elephants", but I really don't like the host's voice, so this one may go.
• Stranger Things TV (caught up) - I was impressed with the first few, but this last one (3 parts) was a poor story.  The production quality is great, but if the story is boring, who cares?
• This American Life (13 unplayed) - I cull this one like NPR SoTD; anything with a boring title gets deleted unplayed.
• Variant Frequencies (82 unplayed) - I subscribed because it was recommended, but haven't listened yet.
• X Minus One (80 unplayed) - Same as VF

I keep up with Escape Pod and both NPRs, and once I get caught up with Podcastle, I'll keep up with it as well.

I keep audiobooks separate, even if they were acquired as podcasts (e.g. Playing for Keeps).  I had read all of the first six Harry Potter books, the last four almost immediately after they were released, but never seemed to find time to get into book seven.  When I realized I was spending a lot more time in my car than before, I bought the audiobook on CDs, ripped it to mp3s and loaded it to my iPod.  It was so much more satisfying, I found, though before the movies come out, I'll read the book (again?).  I, too, love Mur Lafferty's stories, as well as when she reads stories by other authors for EP or PC.

Edit:  changed Mr. Deity and Podcastle

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:31:35 PM by izzardfan » Logged
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 09:14:03 AM »

stePH, would you say that you are looking for a David Brooks type of conservative? I know he does a weekly session on NPR's All Things Considered against E.J. Dionne, but I'm not aware of him doing any other audio.

Wasn't previously familiar with him, but from what little I've just been able to Google (including an entry at Dickipedia), he seems to fit.  Too bad there's no podcast, but in lieu I suppose I can read his NYT column online.  I also see there are audio clips available at NYT.

Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »

I just cleared three PolyWeeklys cooking last night, and one Dunesteef this morning.

I recommend AGAINST Andrea Shea-King. She's my friend, and I used to produce her Sunday radio show, but... imagine Ann Coulter as a kind but stern grandmother or aunt. That's Andrea.

I didn't know Doyle had a show either until I checked my old radio station's site. They air him in the overnights.

Mike Gallagher is funny, but a little yelly.

Russell Nash
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:28 AM »

The scythe was at work again.  I cut all three of my song of the day podcasts.
Listener
Hipparch

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »

I'm up to 53 episodes in my queue of the various shows I listen to. However, 12 are Cory Doctorow stories that are evergreen, plus I have the last five months of Nobilis. Cut all that out and I'm not THAT far behind.

When football season's over I get to listen to a lot more.

MacArthurBug
Giddy
Hipparch

I can resist anything except temptation

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

Let's see- Some of my more favorite shows podfaded- or finished up, thus no longer sit in my catcher. Here's what's either waiting to be listned to, waiting to be updated, or waiting to be cut

Arcane Tales- still to new to have a good grip on
Christiana's Shallow Thoughts- may well be culled
The Classic Tales- OMG I love this
clonepod
CrimeWav
Dan Carlins Hardcore History- so awesome, he dosn't update often enough
DWO whocast- 'cause I fangirl
The Drabblecast- yay
The Dunsteef Audio Fiction MAgazine
The Escape Trilogy plus Escape Archive
fitmusic
Miettes Bedtime Story- May soon be culled. Her voice is nice, the stories are ofen too lulling and quite literealy will put me to sleep. Not comfie with ear buds in
MOREVI
The Moth
Mur LAfferty presents the Takeover + The Murverse
NPR
Onion News
Pendant Productions- once upon a time in Vegas
The Princeton Review- Vocabulary Minute
The Public Speakers tips
The Radio adventures of Doctor Floyd - so so geeky kid cool
Scott Sigler Audio Books- just got started on these.
Sex is Fun
Spider on the web- just subscribed Thanks Izz!
StarShipSofa- great stories but this mans voice is REALLY hard to listen to.
Steampod
Stuff you should know
Transmissions from Beyond
60 second Psych and 60 second Science.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.
izzardfan
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

clonepod

I've listened to all of the flash fiction, all of the Union Dues and two other full-length episodes ("Cold Duty" and "The Last Dog" because it's Mike Resnick).  It's not a high priority for me to listen to these due to the quality (see here for explanation)

Spider on the web- just subscribed Thanks Izz!

You're quite welcome!  He's my second favorite author, after Robert Heinlein.

StarShipSofa- great stories but this mans voice is REALLY hard to listen to.

I know!  This may be one of those where I skip the intros & outros and just listen to the stories.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »

Dan Carlins Hardcore History- so awesome, he dosn't update often enough
Agreed; he seems to be bimonthly with that one now.  Common Sense is more frequent, but still takes around 2 weeks between shows.  Not enough people kicking in for the Ben-a-thons, I guess?

My backlog of unplayed 'casts has grown since I've been unemployed.  I used to take my lunch hour for listening, and sometimes I'd get to listen in the car too.  Now all that's gone, and I only listen occasionally at bedtime, or if I'm doing yardwork (spent a couple of hours weeding yesterday) or grilling some meat on the back deck.

Currently subscribed to (not counting audiobooks):
  • Beatnik Turtle's Song of the Day (because of the mention of the new album on Geo Hrab's podcast)
  • clonepod
  • Common Sense with Dan Carlin
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
  • DWO Whocast
  • Escape Pod
  • Geologic Podcast (shameless Geo fanboy here!)
  • Maximum PC No BS Podcast
  • PC Gamer Podcast
  • Podcastle
  • Pseudopod
  • Sessions with Slau (again because of Geo)
  • Soccergirl, Inc. (can't seem to sustain interest in this one despite various raves)
  • Truth Seekers Podcast
  • Variant Frequencies
  • WNYC's Radio Lab (just added a couple of days ago)

I haven't listened to the last two weeks of EP or PC, and Pseudopod's been languishing a long time (I've been stuck at "Akropolis" forever, and haven't even touched the newer episodes since my aim was to work through the series front-to-back.) 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: