Escape Artists
December 11, 2017, 05:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is your podcast backlog?  (Read 24402 times)
MacArthurBug
Giddy
Hipparch

I can resist anything except temptation

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 03:46:26 PM »

Izz: as to SSS- depends on the intro. A lot of them get the scrool through, especially when he gets more long winded then usual, but the stories are worth it, almost every time. As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Steph, I havn't given Carlins other cast a try yet, I'm willing to give it a go, his passion for his subjects is facinating.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »

Steph, I havn't given Carlins other cast a try yet, I'm willing to give it a go, his passion for his subjects is facinating.

I like his manner of speaking; he reminds me of Tom Leykis's show (back in 1993-1994 before it went all lowbrow.)  And it comes out about three or four times more frequently than Hardcore History!  Grin

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
izzardfan
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 04:12:00 AM »

Izz: as to SSS- depends on the intro. A lot of them get the scrool through, especially when he gets more long winded then usual, but the stories are worth it, almost every time. As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Guilty on the detective books, though I'm not sure what qualifies as hardboiled.  I started years ago (even before my science fiction days) with all the Hercule Poirot and a few Miss Marple stories from Agatha Christie.  I'm a huge fan of Isaac Asimov's Tales of the Black Widowers, and I used to enjoy P.D. James, but only those with Adam Dalgliesh, and lately, not even those.  I'm up to N is for Noose in Sue Grafton's series, but have been stuck there for quite a while, as I have been listening to EscapePod and Podcastle instead.  And I'm also a Harry Potter fan, and read all the Vampire Chronicles and Witch books by Anne Rice.

I prefer procedurals on TV (CSI, Bones, NCIS, Eleventh Hour, The Mentalist, Castle--Nathan Fillion, swoon!--, Psych), and science fiction (Doctor Who/Torchwood, Eureka, Fringe, Sanctuary).  I just started recording The Unusuals but haven't watched any yet.  I loved The Middleman and The Dresden Files and hated that they were cancelled.

We're moving next week from Southern California to Oregon so I may miss a few of my favorites en route, but can probably catch up online.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:28:32 AM by izzardfan » Logged
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »

We're moving next week from Southern California to Oregon so I may miss a few of my favorites en route, but can probably catch up online.
Hey, what part of Oregon?  If Portland, you'll have to come 'round and say hi.

Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2009, 01:31:10 PM »

* More than 15 episodes of Nobilis.
* Two Cory Doctorow podcast novels.
* 1 PP
* 1 AOMS
* 3 Soccergirl
* 4 Ask a Ninja
* 1 Geologic

I think I'm just over 50 total. But I have a long solo drive coming up (ATL -> Asheville NC) so I should be able to clear some of it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Zathras
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »

Recently added a bunch of poker podcasts to my list.  Escape Artists got moved to the back burner, along with some other fiction podcasts.  I didn't finish the last few podcastle stories, so I think I'll wait a while before attempting the latest giant.

I'm working my way through All Strategy (Daniel Negreanu co-hosts).  I'm sampling a few others.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »

As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Are you on LibraryThing?  My whole library is entered and viewable as of last night.

MacArthurBug
Giddy
Hipparch

I can resist anything except temptation

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »

Steph- I plan on getting on it, is it hard to set up? I have quite a few books..

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

Steph- I plan on getting on it, is it hard to set up?

Not really.  Register your account, then start plugging in ISBNs if you got 'em, or title/author if not.  Depending on how anal-retentive you are, it might be a bit of a chore to look for the exact matching edition and/or cover, but it's pretty simple.  One thing, you'll have to pay up if you want to enter more than 201 books ($10 per year or $25 for lifetime).

izzardfan
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2009, 01:00:16 AM »

Hey, what part of Oregon?  If Portland, you'll have to come 'round and say hi.

Hillsboro, west of Portland.  I think we discussed this in the map folder a while back?
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2009, 01:52:04 AM »

Hillsboro, west of Portland.  I think we discussed this in the map folder a while back?
Might have, but I have a memory like a ... what are those leaky things called?

Anyway, Hillsboro is waythehellandgone out west from where I'm at; nearly an hour's drive.  But we'll still be technically neighbors.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:52:29 PM by stePH » Logged

Portrait in Flesh
Hipparch

NO KILL I

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

17.4 days.

Yeesh.  I don't even get that many vacation and sick days per year combined.

And that doesn't include the roughly 4.4 gigs of downloaded stuff I haven't added to my player yet.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »

Wow, a lot of time has passed. I've got a long commute now since moving out to Cedar Mill, so izzardfan I'm a closer neighbor now if you're still in Hillsboro. But I've culled my podcasts down to what almost fills my commute time - I fill the rest of the time by reading on my r00ted B&N Nook Tablet, "Barnabas".

CURRENT SUBSCRIPTIONS:
The Nerdist (updates 3x weekly, average episode 80 min)
The Indoor Kids (average episode 80 min)
The Geologic Podcast (still)
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Most of the time this leaves me with no backlog, unless some of the regular podcasts go long or Dan Carlin drops a 4-hour-plus history episode. And I'm thinking of dropping the axe on The Indoor Kids, since I don't play most of the games they talk about - but I just enjoy listening to Kumail and Emily, and usually Jordan as well.

stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

...also raving_lunatic, I started putting music on my iPod and listening to it at work a few years back, and upgraded to a 8GiB Nano 3rd-gen (no Radiohead though, sorry  Wink )
But that's been demoted to a strictly-podcast device again, as I now use Barnabas at work for music playing - a 32GiB micro-SD card (the largest a Nook Tablet can handle) plus Rocket Player for Android gives me 4x more album-shuffling goodness than Rover II did.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: