Author Topic: How big is your podcast backlog?  (Read 56996 times)

Russell Nash

on: January 26, 2007, 05:26:38 PM
How big is your podcast backlog? The podcasts on you r computer you want to listen to , but haven't yet.

Mine is currently:

4 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, and 30 seconds.

CrushEm

• Extern
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:38:44 PM
3 Days at the moment, but I've been trying to catch up like crazy this last week.  If you asked me 7 days ago, it would have been about 6 or 7 days!  :o

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:34:59 PM
1 day ish. 

If it was 3 days, I have to take some time off work.

Vanamonde

• Extern
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:03 AM
Thankfully I can listen to podcasts at work (it relieves the tedium), so only get a backlog when I'm on holiday.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:12:59 PM
4 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, and 30 seconds.

Found a few new podcasts. Now my backlog is 4 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes, and 58 seconds.

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:56:43 PM
I think it mounts up to about 3 hours... So much great stuff to listen to, so little time.

therese

• Extern
  • word wrangler
    • Internal Rant of the Spotted Mind
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:00:20 PM
Just checked for subscription updates...and it's now 4 days, 18 hours and 13 minutes.

Either I go on vacation or AWOL from work and life. *facepalm*

Feel your worries melt away - listen to EP52: Single White Farmhouse

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:49 AM
about 5.4 days for me lol kinda new to the whole podcast thing so I have found alot of new stuff that I want to try out

at least I will be getting a car adapter for my ipod on my bday
and since I drive about 1.5 hrs a day I will hopefuly be able to catch up with it

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:26:20 AM
at least I will be getting a car adapter for my ipod on my bday
and since I drive about 1.5 hrs a day I will hopefuly be able to catch up with it

My problem is that my town is five minutes from end to end. I can't even listen to the Drabblecast in one sitting.

So I've started to walk a lot more, and most days now I get at least a half hour stroll in. Great stories and lots of exercise! All I have to do now is work out what to subscribe to once the backlog runs out!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:09 AM
3 days, 17 hours, and 5 minutes. It seems like whenever it gets down to about a day I go out and find new podcasts to binge on.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:10:02 PM
Twelve hours.  I tend to keep on top of things, and if I'm falling behind, I pull something from my feeds.

I'm ruthless.

If I find myself running out of things to listen to, I login to Podiobooks and release more chapters.  I've got several books there on "monthly" which I use to fill in when the weekly podcasters are having a bad week.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:56 PM
I was down to about 5 hours but I now have about 40 or so Drabblecast to listen to.   I listen primarily in my car (30 minutes a day) and on dog walks.  It's been below zero F and crazy windy the last two days so I've fallen behind on the dog walk listening time.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:57 PM
I have about 15 things to listen to right now, so about 7-8 hours.  I don't listen to a LOT of podcasts, but I did recently add three more.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:23 AM
I've currently got about 165 items qued up to download.  (Dial-up connection, what has downloaded is usually listened to immediately.)  Some of the casts originally came in on the feeds way back in August of '07.  The list used to be longer, but I've dropped several casts that weren't worth the effort , and some older episodes of the ones that I really plan on keeping up with. 

I'm only actually caught up with:
Escape Pod
60 Second Science
Joss'd
Strangely Literal
Buffy between the Lines
Science Talk
and Counterspin

I'm barely holding my ground at the moment. :-\ (But I have lots of patience)  ;D

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:29 AM
1.2 days at the moment, though as I'm working through the entire runs of Metamor City and Skeptoid, if I downloaded all of them it would probably be closer to 2 days.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
3 or 4 hours.  If it get's too backlogged, I start dropping podcasts.  "Adventures in SciFi Publishing" and "Starship Sofa" got the axe most recently.  "I Should Be Writing" will probably go next.  I just don't like having a ton of crap in my podcasts list.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:16 PM
About four days. I have 137 unlistened episodes that sync to my iPod ,and about 160 total including the ones that I haven't listened to yet but don't carry around with me. I have 40 podcasts in my subscription list but there are about five that seem to have podfaded since I picked them up.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:31 PM
I'm with gelee. I'm usually down to zero by Wednesday or so, after which point I listen to a bit of an audio book while I wait for new episodes. If something just piles up it's probably not worth subscribing to.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 01:46:18 AM
how about lists of what is in the back log?

currently caught up w/ all eps that Itunes will let me get then I have a about 3 news feeds ( 2 npr @ 7 AM and 7 PM, and an election coverage one), and that is most of the podcasts atm but I have some podiobooks as well so ya
anyone else?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:30:12 AM
I'm waiting on episodes (some more than others) of:

Winging It
The WhedonCast
The Signal
Sonic Society
Slice of Sci-Fi
PodCulture
Upside Down and Halfway to Happy Land
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Firefly Talk
The Babylon Podcast
Three Edged Sword (a B5 audio drama)

I'd be caught up on a lot more if the servers that they are hosted on allowed resuming; (I hate getting over 90% downloaded, and then suddenly the server claims to be busy and I have to try all over again from the beginning.)  ARGH! >:(

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 09:30:24 AM
OK,

I currently have:

The latest Adam and Joe Show,
Last weeks Escape Pod,
Part 2 of The Fabric Podcast,
Several Free London Walks,
The latest I Should be Writing,
Five Indian Electronica Podcasts,
I've just started on Metamor City,
The latest National Archive Podcast,
The last three Pseudopods,
Five Psychedelic Salon episodes,
The latest Hooting Yard,
I'm about halfway through the archive of Skeptoid,
Five Starship Sofas,
And a Trannywreck in a pear tree.

So I guess I should be listening... (Sorry Mur)

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:42:34 AM
I gave up trying to figure out how long my backlog is ages ago.  In terms of hard drive space, my backlog is somewhere between 30 and 50 GB (damn you Podiobooks.com!  ;))  Though I can listen to an hour's worth of podcasts per day during my commute, my main problem is that I keep stumbling across new ones to listen to.  I've exhausted Darker Projects' and BrokenSea's offerings, but keep up with them as new eps are released.  Add Escape Pod and Sigler's latest novel into the mix and it means that it takes about a week to run through your average podiobook.  This, of course, doesn't mean that I stop subscribing to them, unfortunately.  I should admit that I've been bad recently as I ran through Mur Lafferty's Playing for Keeps, Alan E. Nourse's Star Surgeon, 7 eps of Black Shadow, and all of Lester Del Rey's Badge of Infamy since Saturday 2/16.  (And to think that I have a master's thesis to write...)

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:00 PM
I'm caught up with, as of last download:
EscapePod
PseudoPod
A Prairie Home Companion: News from Lake Wobegon
Barats & Bereta
deos Shadow Pagan Podcast
Diary of a Shameless Self-Promoter
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
Kemet This Week
Kinky Sex Radio (basically podfaded)
KinkyCast (basically podfaded)
Life As a Comic Videoblog
Midwest Teen Sex Show
NPR: Sunday Puzzle
Playing for Keeps (except all the Stories from the Third Wave episodes)
They Might Be Giants Friday Night Family Podcast
Wisecrack
WFUV's Take Five
3Worlds - The Shamanism Podcast

Still need to catch up on:
Firefly Talk
GenderTalk
Knitwitch's Scifi/Fantasy Zone Podcast
National Geographic Video Shorts
NPR: Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! (I only keep the current week and haven't heard one since the summer)
Polyamory Weekly
PRI: Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know? (I only keep the current week and haven't heard one since the summer)
The Ropecast
Sex is Fun
The Signal
Stranger Things TV
Subknit
This American Life

Subscribed to but haven't managed to start listening to yet:
I Should Be Writing
Leather Leadership Conference
Leather Radio Network
They Might Be Giants Podcast

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

wanderer

• Extern
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:46 AM
ahem i have 693 unlistened too podcasts at the moment....

its a bit of a backlog.

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:39 AM
Wow!  A bit?

I've managed to work mine down to 118, and barely holding there.