Cabaret
1 (5%)
Seven Samurai
2 (10%)
Superman
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 22, 2008, 02:13:58 PM

Author Topic: 28 Film Polls Later  (Read 10596 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Re: 28 Film Polls Later
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 05:06:48 PM »
I bought the disc [Memento] and watched it several times in quick succession, including backwards.  It held up for me.

How do you watch it backwards?  Does it necessitate programming the DVD player to play the chapters in reverse order, or is there an easier way to do it?

Don't be silly, he just used a portable DVD player and walked backwards on a treadmill whilst holding it.
I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 05:56:54 PM »
I'm a religious Nolan fan, so I went with Memento. Tough call though with Rear Window and Seven Samurai in the race-

Following is Nolan's best. Had that been up against Rear Window, I might have had to vote for it...

I bought the disc [Memento] and watched it several times in quick succession, including backwards.  It held up for me.

How do you watch it backwards?  Does it necessitate programming the DVD player to play the chapters in reverse order, or is there an easier way to do it?

Some versions of the DVD have a special feature that re-assembles the movie into chronological order (black and white scenes, then colour scenes in reverse order). I assume that is what he means.
Science means that not all dreams can come true

sirana

• Lochage
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:29 AM »
I'm a religious Nolan fan, so I went with Memento. Tough call though with Rear Window and Seven Samurai in the race-

Following is Nolan's best. Had that been up against Rear Window, I might have had to vote for it...

It's at least the one with the best bang for the buck, it cost only 6000$ to make.
Regarding his best film, I am torn between "The Prestige" and "Batman begins".

I mean Following was great, Memento was great, Insomnia was good, but Prestige and BB were incredible.

Russell Nash

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:42 AM »

I had to make up a playlist.  As soon as I turned the player off it was gone.  The chapter breaks are set up perfectly to let you do this.  I watched the main story backwards with the charaters comentary parts in the normal order. it was pretty cool.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 07:10:29 AM »

It's at least the one with the best bang for the buck, it cost only 6000$ to make.
Regarding his best film, I am torn between "The Prestige" and "Batman begins".

I mean Following was great, Memento was great, Insomnia was good, but Prestige and BB were incredible.

Both excellent movies, yes, but I feel that Following has a certain something that he doesn't seem to have been able to replicate with sudios throwing money at him. And I agree that Insomnia is the least great, but that's not saying a whole lot. One of these days, I want to see the original, though.
Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
It looks like we may have a tie when voting closes tomorrow.
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 10:16:38 AM »
It looks like we may have a tie when voting closes tomorrow.

It's a worthy pair.  One of them (or both maybe) will trounce the competition next week.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
*sigh*... guess I need to see that one...
This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
Looks like Memento just managed to pull ahead in the eleventh hour.

I know it's not my poll, but maybe Rear Window should come back for the next poll along with Memento.

(for the record, I voted Memento early, since the only other film in the poll that I've seen is Superman)
"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising