Author Topic: PC103: Attar Of Roses  (Read 11241 times)

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 06:35:56 AM
I was rather disappointed by this story. It seemed to be telling a story of a woman making bad decisions due to "love", but I never really felt she loved her betrothed; she never met him, never interacted with him, or anything else. She was just entirely certain from the beginning that she's "destined" to be with him, and later that she's the one who would finally be able to be a proper mate for him (note, not be equal to him, just be sufficient to survive him).

That doesn't sound like love. It sounds maybe like infatuation, and maybe like the feelings that someone in an abusive relationship might be undergoing, but she was never in a relationship with him, of any kind. Maybe we were to take that she was put under a spell early on in the story, and her behaviour influenced? If that's right, then I just don't get the interest in the story.

So, it's either a story about genuine emotions that doesn't manage to get them across well, or it's a story about how you make bad decisions under the influence of magic. Either way, not a good story.

I'm afraid I felt similarly. The main character felt kind of... juvenile. For all that she talked about leaving spring for decadent summer, for sad autumn, for bitter winter she remained, ultimately, a hollow and uninteresting child.

What I will give the story props for, though, is craft. The words were well chosen, poetic, and a pleasure to listen to. I just wish the story had done more for me.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.