Author Topic: other fantasy audio  (Read 5826 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: April 20, 2008, 07:46:55 AM
sometimes you run into good fantasy online and want to share it.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:26:36 AM
i wish the seeing ear theater was still up. they had an incredible version of Neil Gaiman's snow glass apples (10min preview), you can hear the work they put into it. the story text is still online.

David Schickler's Wes Amerigo's Giant Fear (you can listen online without an account) snuck up on me. it started slow but by the end i was looking up the author for his other books. it's the first story in the podcast, the text is online.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:53:29 PM
When it comes to non-free fantasy audio, you can't do better than Neil Gaiman's books and short story collections.  Usually he reads them himself, and the readings are wonderful.  He always says that stories are meant to be read aloud, so he actually considers the audiobook versions of his work as the most important format.  Most authors dismiss them as extras that they pay no personal attention to...

Anyway, Neil's stories are all great too, and if you haven't tried any of his stuff, you really should.
Stardust is his most traditional fantasy (and is a lot different from the also excellent film), but American Gods is also great modern set fantasy, as is Neverwhere, which is set in a fantasy version of London's homeless population. 

Or just try his short story collection, Fragile Things.  We all like short stories here!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:12:52 PM
I picked up his short story "A Study in Emerald" from Audible when I got my free download from the EP referral.  I'm guessing it was free because it's only 50 minutes.  I've read it before, but haven't heard it yet.

I'm seriously tempted to pick up the audio version of Neverwhere that he reads.  I love his voice and love that book to pieces.  And I've heard very good things about Lenny Henry's Anansi Boys reading.  But with EP, PP, PC, and other free podcasts like This American Life, I wonder if I would make the time to listen to it.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:24 AM
I suspect that most people who would be interested in these parts already know of it, but I'm a fan of Murder at Avendon Hill.  It's probably best described as a mixture of a typical high fantasy setting and Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.  It's a murder mystery set in a fantasy world, with magic kept to a minimum to date, but definitely present.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:46:25 AM
I'm not loving the Murder at Avadon Hill. Can't fully explain why, but It just isn't playing out for me.
I have loved Mr. Gaimans audio versions of his books. His reading voice is pleasent, and the stories do indeed feel nice read aloud.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.