Author Topic: PC716: Tadpole Prophecy  (Read 718 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 04, 2022, 09:28:47 PM
PodCastle 716: Tadpole Prophecy

Author: Avi Burton
Narrator: Sarah Griffin
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Peter Adrian Behravesh

PodCastle 716: Tadpole Prophecy is a PodCastle original.

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13

It is cold, twilight on the cusp of true night, and they have sent you down to kill a monster. The uncut gems of frost crunch underneath your feet.

The dark lord’s castle is onyx and steel, and it is beautiful. It is a fortress that lurches out over the cliff face like a three-fingered hand jutting into the sky. It resonates and sings to you, drawing you forward. The windows are frosted glass and obscure what lurks behind.

There are guards by the jagged portcullis, but they step aside as we pass. They know the duty we have been sent here to do. They cannot change the prophecy. You grip my handle tighter and wonder what the guards fear more — you, or your destiny. I, linked to your thoughts by the bond we share, suggest that they are one and the same.

If I wasn’t me, you ask silently, do you think the guards would try and fight for their monster? Do you think that they would die for him?

People always die for dark lords, willingly or not, I say. That is their purpose. We have ours.

Purpose. Destiny. You shake your head and stride in to meet yours.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Raccoonteur

• Extern
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:57:28 PM
The concept of this story is an important one to explore, and I'm glad it's being done.
Personally, I believe it's time for our species to (take the first steps of breaking the ground in preparation to) move beyond the concept of heroes and monsters.

The character that was most enjoyably alive for me, despite her brief appearances, was the court jester. By comparison, the Hero felt a bit more two-dimensional; I wonder whether that was intended-- as the lack of names was-- to keep the character archetypal. I heard something recently... that the personal, the specific-- despite its difference-- is in fact what we relate to and what makes a story universally appealing and accessible.
The lack of names works for me; but I would have liked some fleshing out of the Hero. A few strategically arranged words-- as was done to such great effect with the jester!