Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 1905 times)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
on: April 20, 2008, 07:00:27 PM
It turns out that I have more time to devote to audiobooks than to dead trees, so I was wondering if you had any good suggestions for places to get them.

My music player can't handle DRM'd files, so Audiobook.com is out. Actually, I've seen enough websites out there explaining how to break their DRM in less than 5 minutes, so I could, feasibly, use them. But I don't want to have to go to that effort, and I dislike giving money to companies who insist on assuming that I'm a criminal.

Given that their DRM is so insecure, I've had a look on BitTorrent and PirateBay to see how many of their titles have been pirated, and so far as I can tell, there is not a market for pirated audiobooks. So there doesn't seem to be a decent reason for them to DRM their files.

I've downloaded a couple of books from LibriVox.org, but as they only have public domain content, it can be hard to find things I'm interested in.

I've also gotten a couple of novels from podiobooks.com, which is an excellent source, but I'd also like to be able to get hold of commercially published works.

So, in short, I am more than happy to pay for audiobooks (and I have no desire to download pirated content), but I need it to not be DRM'd. Can anyone help me out? Or am I asking for the Moon on a stick?

Science means that not all dreams can come true