Author Topic: Reprints vs Original work  (Read 6057 times)

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
on: January 26, 2007, 11:27:17 PM
Steve made a comment in amongst the discussion of sci-fi magazine subscriptions (I can't remember when) along the lines that Escape Pod is actively interested in "reprinting" existing sci-fi.  That got me to wondering about the general idea of using pre-existing works versus sticking with original stories.

I don't really have a preference, since I really love the latest story (EP090: How Lonesome a Life Without Nerve Gas) which I likely would never have found on my own.  However, there have been a couple of times that I heard a story I've already read.

I'm curious what some of the editorial thinking is about reprints - is it a safer bet? Is the slush pile not varied enough? Do you just stumble across a great story and decide to use it?

I have no experience in the realm of publishing, so any info would be interesting.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 11:41:55 PM
Mostly we're just looking to get the best stories we possibly can.  Since Escape Pod doesn't pay professional rates, most writers submit to the professional markets first.  Buying reprints allows us to get stories that we never had first crack at.  And authors are pleased to sell a story multiple times.  That doesn't mean we don't like unpublished stories.  We're ecstatic that Escape Pod was the first place to publish the Union Dues stories.  We don't automatically buy any story submitted to us that appeared in the big three or another pro market.  The story must be of high quality and fit with what we (but mainly Steve) think is an "Escape Pod story".

Sometimes we seek out stories as well.  I bought Greg van Eekhout's chapbook at last year's Worldcon and after reading Authorwerx I emailed Greg and told him he had to submit it to us.  A chunk of my convetion time is spent pestering authors to send us stories.  Sometimes they actually do :)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:48:48 PM
I'm curious what some of the editorial thinking is about reprints - is it a safer bet? Is the slush pile not varied enough? Do you just stumble across a great story and decide to use it?

Our official policy is that we don't discriminate one way or the other.  We're just as happy with either one, and will consider the story purely on its prose.  A few of our favorite stories have been EP originals -- all the Union Dues stories, for instance, and Mur's and Scott Sigler's stories.

In practice, if a writer asks me for advice first I usually tell them "Try all the pro markets, at least, before you send it to us.  And if you sell to one of them, you can still send it to us later for the audio rights."  This is in the writer's best interest, not ours: the pro markets pay higher rates than Escape Pod, and if it's that good, why not get two checks for the same story?  The worst it does for me is add a time delay, and I'm rarely in a particular hurry to run any particular story.  We'll be here long enough to get to plenty of good ones.  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:52:54 PM
Sometimes we seek out stories as well.  I bought Greg van Eekhout's chapbook at last year's Worldcon and after reading Authorwerx I emailed Greg and told him he had to submit it to us.  A chunk of my convetion time is spent pestering authors to send us stories.  Sometimes they actually do :)

Yep.  It's a rare gift.  >8->  BTW, we can also credit Scott for getting Jack Skillingstead to send us last week's story.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 02:41:36 AM
I'm surprised that any author would not have their story on Escape Pod - if I understand the license correctly, they get money for free advertising.

Hilary Moon Murphy

• Palmer
  • Proving the inherent superiority of purple hair
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:52:27 PM
I'm surprised that any author would not have their story on Escape Pod - if I understand the license correctly, they get money for free advertising.

I must admit that this part of the attraction for me submitting to you as well.  Good reprint markets are hard to find.

Hmm
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:37:43 PM by Hilary Moon Murphy »