Author Topic: EP070: Squonk the Dragon  (Read 7195 times)

Russell Nash

on: January 27, 2008, 04:00:10 PM
EP070: Squonk the Dragon

By Pete Butler.
Read by Stephen Eley and Anna Eley.

Squonk lived with his mother, who was definitely not a dragon–she was a small blue bird named Mrs. Tweedle-Chirp. Now, it is true that birds generally cannot lay dragon eggs, and Mrs. Tweedle-Chirp was no exception. But, they can care for dragon eggs that they happen to find lying untended in the middle of the forest, assuming they are suitably ambitious.

Rated G. This is a children’s story. Have Fun.

Referenced Sites:
Variant Frequencies

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 08:10:12 PM
I asked for this thread because I played this for the kids at bedtime last night.  Once they realized the noises coming out of the computer were for them, they got a huge kick out of it.  "Mrs. Twiddlechirp" and "Woodpecker Fu" had them rolling, and they all laughed at the appropriate places.

But even more than the simple joy of children, I was struck by the intro, where Steve said this story came after rejection of several darker tales for EP.  As I listened, I could almost hear the author saying, "Take THAT, Mr. Too-Dark-for-My-Podcast."  And it occurred to me that I do my best work - the work that other people like the best, at least - when I'm "tossing something out for a laugh".  They rarely respond as desired to the stuff I'm really trying to make Good... but they love it when I go off on a goof.

Why is that?  I'll let you decide...

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:34:37 AM
is there anyone who truly hates this story? Is it possible? This is one of my favorite EPs ever!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:53:53 PM
This one was lots of fun, and very original.  Lots of fun silliness, and the interaction between wizard and dragon was fantastic.  It brings up the good old nature vs. nurture topic:  he's not terrible because he wasn't raised to be.  Lots of fun!  I didn't like the sequel as much simply because much of the appeal was in the novelty of the situation--once you go into sequels you can't use that for a hook anymore.

The one thing that I didn't like:  Mrs. Tweedlechirp's voice.  I don't mind Anna's speaking voice, but raised an octave like that it was painful to my ears coming from my iPod earbuds.

photojoeca

• Extern
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:39:55 AM
There's no way to play the episode