Escape Artists

News:

• Get your 500 word fantasy stories ready! We'll be open for submissions through the month of March, and starting the voting sometime in early April. Full details on Podcastle's website

News

Get your 500 word fantasy stories ready! We'll be open for submissions through the month of March, and starting the voting sometime in early April. Full details on Podcastle's website

Author Topic: EP247: Bridesicle  (Read 44979 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #75 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:52 PM
Looks like the author owes you two, Mr. Fowlie.

Three. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #76 on: November 09, 2019, 01:25:49 AM
 EP247: Bridesicle aka "Sarah, Plain and Thawed"

A lot of sci-fi begins with "what if?" but sometimes I can't help but ask "Yeah, but why would it? "

For the most part I liked this story, but I wish parts of it had been fleshed out more. You've got two big ideas, cryogenics and the "riders" and I wish there had been more worldbuilding so we could understand this society where these things are the norm a little better.

I mean, what set of circumstances would there have to be for people to be so blase about having a "rider"?

And what sort of societal changes would there have to be for insurance companies to be allowed to compel their clients into arranged marriages?

I also wonder how someone who committed suicide would be viewed after getting a second chance at life. And would there be legal consequences for someone who "murdered" their rider?

I guess I'll have to read the book to find out. :-)