Author Topic: EP155: Tideline  (Read 51137 times)

Shotobouv

• Extern
Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008, 04:27:45 PM
Enjoyable episode. I too thought of the "Boloverse", with this story. The humaization of machinery.

Russell Nash

Reply #51 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:55 AM
So that's what Steve looks like!! has been given its own little place. 

dracon

• Extern
Reply #52 on: May 07, 2008, 03:20:24 PM
My Mother the Carapaced Battle-bot ;)

arcticwolfe

• Extern
Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:32 AM
I get Escape Pod through iTunes, and when I downloaded this story, I got instead a Starship Sofa piece by the same author.  While it was an intriguing story and good incentive for me to expand my podcast library, it was not what I was expecting.  Was this intentional in some way?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #54 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:57 AM
I get Escape Pod through iTunes, and when I downloaded this story, I got instead a Starship Sofa piece by the same author.  While it was an intriguing story and good incentive for me to expand my podcast library, it was not what I was expecting.  Was this intentional in some way?

Interesting.  I get Escape Pod through iTunes too, but didn't get Starship Sofa instead of this episode. 

I wonder if I should feel cheated.

theWallflower

• Extern
  • Start judging
    • The Tale of One Man's Quest to Become a Published Author
Reply #55 on: May 16, 2008, 02:48:42 PM
Two things:
1. The robot reminded me of what might be the mother of the sentry guards in Portal (cycloptic, tripodal).  Steve's voice for the robot just drove this point home.
2. No more Red Hunter - The Fall.  This has got to be third or so podcast that has this as the end music.  There's nothing wrong with the song, but it starts to lose its meaning once it's played for the third post-apocalyptic story.

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.  Children already know dragons exist.  Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed" -G.K. Chesterson

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #56 on: May 17, 2008, 12:32:38 AM
2. No more Red Hunter - The Fall.  This has got to be third or so podcast that has this as the end music.  There's nothing wrong with the song, but it starts to lose its meaning once it's played for the third post-apocalyptic story.

Are you counting the fact that EP has used it before, or are you counting actual individual podcasts?

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

theWallflower

• Extern
  • Start judging
    • The Tale of One Man's Quest to Become a Published Author
Reply #57 on: May 19, 2008, 04:02:32 PM
  Are you counting the fact that EP has used it before, or are you counting actual individual podcasts?

EP using it before.

"Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist.  Children already know dragons exist.  Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed" -G.K. Chesterson

lieffeil

• Palmer
    • spring forward, fall back
Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 05:57:39 PM
So confusing.
I got another Elizabeth Bear story, "Deep Blue Sea", which I adored... But I got kind of confused when I saw that everyone was talking about robots and wars and dogs when the story I have labeled "Tideline" was about Nevada and motorcycles and the Devil.
Can someone direct me to a thread where I can post my comments on that story instead? Better yet, explain how I can get hold of a copy of "Tideline"?

(It was also odd, because the intro was Scottish. I thought maybe Steve Eley was sick or something.)

...you've got three metric seconds.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #59 on: June 04, 2008, 06:23:00 PM
Well, you can get Tideline here. But I don't know about the other.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #60 on: June 05, 2008, 11:52:19 AM
Well, you can get Tideline here. But I don't know about the other.

Or you can click on the story link at the top of this thread.  If you want it as a podcast, unsubscribe to the EP feed and then re-subscribe.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #61 on: June 05, 2008, 01:30:22 PM
So confusing.(It was also odd, because the intro was Scottish. I thought maybe Steve Eley was sick or something.)

Might it have been a Pseudopod story?  Doesn't PP have a Scottish host?  (I don't listen to PP.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Void Munashii

• Matross
Reply #62 on: June 05, 2008, 03:01:13 PM
(It was also odd, because the intro was Scottish. I thought maybe Steve Eley was sick or something.)

Sounds like it was Starship Sofa. I think they did that one a while back, and the host(s) have really heavy accents.

Archie

• Extern
Reply #63 on: June 20, 2008, 12:44:03 PM
Okay so thanks for making me cry on the way to work! Brilliant story, I don;t think I have ever felt quite so deeply about a robot before.

koda

• Extern
    • The ManicMinute
Reply #64 on: June 30, 2008, 05:35:17 PM
It was okay.
Not a great story.  I thought it was kind of pointless to make the necklaces, but what else are busted-up robots good for?

I have been listening for a long time.  Really?  Crying?  There have been a few stories that make me think, but I fear there may be a little too much sensitivity up in here.

Live every week like it's Shark Week!

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #65 on: July 01, 2008, 02:47:21 AM

I ended up finding this story on Elizabeth Bear's website.  I had downloaded the Escape Pod episode a few times through iTunes and always got a Starship Sofa episode.  Now, I really, really liked the story that I downloaded, but I couldn't figure out why it was called "Tideline" when there wasn't an ocean or lake or river or any body of water.

Does anyone know what that story was?  I'm pretty sure Tony introduced it as "Tideline," but it definitely wasn't.

Void Munashii

• Matross
Reply #66 on: July 01, 2008, 12:11:21 PM
Does anyone know what that story was?  I'm pretty sure Tony introduced it as "Tideline," but it definitely wasn't.

They did her story "And The Deep Blue Sea" back in April, and they do mention "Tideline" In the intro, so perhaps it's that one?

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #67 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:38 AM

They did her story "And The Deep Blue Sea" back in April, and they do mention "Tideline" In the intro, so perhaps it's that one?

That sounds like an odd title for a story about a courier traveling through the post-apocalypse desert who has made a pact with the devil and he's ready to collect.

It was a good story.

Void Munashii

• Matross
Reply #68 on: July 02, 2008, 12:14:12 AM

That sounds like an odd title for a story about a courier traveling through the post-apocalypse desert who has made a pact with the devil and he's ready to collect.

It was a good story.

Doesn't it though? That is the story they played though. I thought it was good story (overall I find SSS to be a little more hit-or-miss than EP)

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #69 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:12 AM
2008 hugo award winner

congrats to ms Bear. this was definitely my favourite =)

Myrealana

• Peltast
    • Bad Foodie
Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 07:22:15 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and found it very emotionally moving.

Congratulations to Ms. Bear on her well-deserved win!

"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #71 on: July 01, 2010, 04:39:59 PM
One of my very favorite Bear stories appears to have vanished off the intarwebs.  It was a fairy tale called "Old Leatherwings" and it was totally the bomb.  Hmmm, maybe I should go over to the Podcastle area and ask Rachel track it down.  It would be awesome on Podcastle.

Ah, if only you had editorial control over a fantasy podcast so that you could decide yourself that you wanted to run it.  Oh, wait...  Didn't know if you remembered saying this, but if you still like the story you could put it on your "to buy" list.   ;D

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #72 on: July 01, 2010, 04:59:33 PM
There are so many stories about a robot becoming more human, but this one really stands out from the group!  I like how the robot, in absence of her original objectives, creates new objectives for creating the necklace.  She doesn't necessarily feel, but if she can understand a human reaction and emulate it, from the outside it is indistinguishable.  Instead of blasting bogies to shrapnel, she is collecting delicate shells and stringing them together as a memorial for her fallen comrades.  And, really, what else is there to do--she knows she has limited time remaining, but she chooses NOT to just sit and wait for the end, instead taking initiative and trying to make a difference, to immortalize her fellow soldiers through story. 

I didn't get anywhere near crying, but the image of her making her memorials was really amazing, and I really felt bad when she finally stopped functioning.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #73 on: July 01, 2010, 04:59:55 PM
And it's this sort of Hugo selection that I can really stand behind--good choice!

captain0terror

• Extern
Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 02:41:44 PM
++Superb Story
++Superb Narration
+Good audio quality

This is the very first Escape Pod episode i listened to, and still my favourite of all subsequent episodes i've heard (not to say there are not a bulk of super short-story science fiction here).

This one so inspired me i made a small Half-Life One recreation of the story. Check it out if you dare!

/= )
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 02:43:42 PM by captain0terror »