Author Topic: The Music of Horror  (Read 7810 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:16 AM
I know a few of you might have seen the Sci-Fi Music thread, but we haven't had a Pseudopod version, yet, so I thought I'd kick one off.

My brain drippings are scattered hither and yon throughout a few blog spots, but my music ramblings tend to end up on Last.fm  - which I tend to plug shamelessly, hoping more of my pod-friends will come check it out.  (It's free, and any track you play on their page nets the artist a whopping .005 cents.. or pence... I can't recall, now.)

Tonight I posted the first of what I hope will be a regular series of album reviews, and I thought the albums I chose would make for good Pseudopod conversation.  The albums are "Swordfishtrombones" and "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits, and the review is posted here, at Last.fm.  (And I promise you, it's true...)

Tom Waits is known for a disturbing body of work, including the music heard in the animated short "Bunny", and the song "Little Drop of Poison", heard in Shrek II.  And, of course, a number of hits that were covered by other people, like Downtown Train (Rod Stewart) and Ol' 55 (The Eagles).

Anyway, as you can plainly see by looking at the time stamps, I could blather on about music until the wee hours of the morning, but I'm interested in hearing about your favorite "horror" music.  The strings from Psycho?  The Monster Mash? Penderecki's creepy bug music?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 05:06:50 AM
I know a few of you might have seen the Sci-Fi Music thread, but we haven't had a Pseudopod version, yet, so I thought I'd kick one off.

Anyway, as you can plainly see by looking at the time stamps, I could blather on about music until the wee hours of the morning, but I'm interested in hearing about your favorite "horror" music.  The strings from Psycho?  The Monster Mash? Penderecki's creepy bug music?

I don't know if it's available anywhere other than on the game CD, but Trent Reznor's music for the original Quake is pretty creepy.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 05:08:28 AM
One thing I'd like to see is an identification of the intro music on Pseudopod! I've taken a bit of a shine to it of late, and it'd be nice to hear more.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 06:07:00 AM
One thing I'd like to see is an identification of the intro music on Pseudopod! I've taken a bit of a shine to it of late, and it'd be nice to hear more.

The track is "Bloodletting on the Kiss" performed by Anders Manga.  It's from the album Left an All-Time Low. I bought the track, it's good.  I haven't picked up the rest of the album, though.

One CD I would love to own is the original Lost Boys Soundtrack, especially the INXS cuts.  I had the cassette at one point, but I don't know where it is.  At a Con not too long ago, a vendor was selling film music and he had it there for $40.  Too rich for my blood!

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:28 AM
"Who is this irresistible creature who has an insatiable love for the dead?" 

Living Dead Girl by Rob Zombie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHcD6tv2po

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 11:33:52 AM
On the campy side, but I love love love Zombina and the Skeletones.

Sample lyrics:
Nobody likes you when your dead.
It just ain't right.
Just 'cause I'm biting on your head, there's no need to be impolite,
An' if I still had eyes, then I would surely cry,
Nobody likes you when you're dead,
An' that's the story of my life.

Also love Skinny Puppy.  Horror soundscape, yes!  Though I stopped following them in the late nineties when they broke up and was gobsmacked when I looked them up just now and see they've reformed and are putting new albums out.  I would have known this if I ever went into record stores anymore.  Wonder if the new stuff is any good.  Anyone know?

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:05 PM

Also love Skinny Puppy.  Horror soundscape, yes!  Though I stopped following them in the late nineties when they broke up and was gobsmacked when I looked them up just now and see they've reformed and are putting new albums out.  I would have known this if I ever went into record stores anymore.  Wonder if the new stuff is any good.  Anyone know?

What's a "record store"?  ;)

http://www.last.fm/music/Skinny+Puppy

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

shwankie

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 01:13:43 AM
Okay, I guess it depends on your definition of horror, but (for different reasons):

-"Bloodletting," by Concrete Blond. Hey, it's about vampires from one of the most beloved (or hated, depends on who you are) vampire series ever written.

-"Mordred's Lullaby," by  Heather Dale . This is creepy and horrifying for me on a psychological level. Most people probably wouldn't toss it into this genre', but I think the concept of this song (yes, I know it's based on the Arthurian legend of Morgaine) is just creepy. Tool's "Prison Sex" falls into this same category.

-"The Dance," by Tangerine Dream on the "Legend" soundtrack. C.R.E.E.P.Y., as is "Spiderman" by the Cure

-"One-eyed, One-horned, Flying Purple People Eater" outshines pretty much everything for camp, and "Thriller," by M. Jackson will probably always be my favorite "horror" song just because of my age when it was released.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 06:04:00 AM
along time ago (early nineties) White Wolf had a list of songs to set the mood for Vampire the Masquerade in one of their books, I think the storytellers guide.  I have tried to assemble it but am still missing a few tracks namely by Scratch Acid (which became Jesus Lizard) and the album Sonic Death by Sonic Youth, which still has not been re-released on cd to the best of my knowledge.  It includes much music by Sisters of Mercy and Joy Division as well as The Cure, Big Black, and Killing Joke. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 02:48:46 PM
along time ago (early nineties) White Wolf had a list of songs to set the mood for Vampire the Masquerade in one of their books, I think the storytellers guide.  I have tried to assemble it but am still missing a few tracks namely by Scratch Acid (which became Jesus Lizard) and the album Sonic Death by Sonic Youth, which still has not been re-released on cd to the best of my knowledge.  It includes much music by Sisters of Mercy and Joy Division as well as The Cure, Big Black, and Killing Joke. 

What, no Bauhaus?  (I always imagined the vampire Lestat as a rock performer to be much like Peter Murphy.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:17:53 PM
yes there was bauhaus as well iirc but I don't have access to the book right now.  It's in a storage unit in MI and I am living/working at Grand Canyon National Park in AZ.

Enigma K

• Extern
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 05:48:36 AM
On the campy side, but I love love love Zombina and the Skeletones.
I love that song you quoted.  They were one of those rare gems to be found at the old mp3.com. 

The new Skinny Puppy sounds more like the OhGr albums than the older material.  Being that Sunny PsiOp is probably my favorite album of that general collective, I was very open to the newer sound.  A lot of online reviews I read hoping for more of the old style material seemed to be disappointed, however.

The ultimate horror/music guilty pleasure to me is the album Occulus Infernum by Van Helsing's Curse.  (Dee Snider's answer to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.)