Author Topic: Mirrormask  (Read 8530 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: May 01, 2008, 05:01:53 AM
Just got done watching this movie for the first time.  I love Neil Gaiman but have never liked Dave McKean's artwork.  In fact I've passed up buying or even reading the books Mr. Punch and Black Orchid solely because of him.  I've hated his style ever since seeing his illustrations for Stephen King's Wizard and Glass.

Well, his 3D/animated artwork is slightly easier to take than the static 2D stuff; in fact the visual style of the film began to grow on me despite the glaring "McKean-isms" that I've always disliked (i.e., the stuff that looks like photo-collage, as well as his sloppy-looking ink drawings such as those illustrating Gaiman's Coraline).  As for the story, it's very Gaiman and is similar to Coraline in a couple of aspects (the Other Mother in a world next door).  But what it reminded me most of is the game Psychonauts which I'm currently playing on Gametap ... main character hates being in the circus, and goes on quests through surreal and bizarre landscapes.  :)

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie but I'm still no fan of McKean.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:18 PM
That was a good one; it was one my then-10-year-old really liked.

When she gets home from school, she even quotes those obnoxious cat folk.  "Hungry!"

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:46:35 PM
I really need to see it again.  I remember liking it when I saw it in the theaters, but not loving it.  The McKean visuals were interesting, but I didn't feel like the story was in top form.  Still, it was a pretty cool little fantasy film, reminscient (for me, at least) of Labyrinth and Neverending Story.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:49:55 AM
Just got done watching this movie for the first time.  I love Neil Gaiman but have never liked Dave McKean's artwork.  In fact I've passed up buying or even reading the books Mr. Punch and Black Orchid solely because of him.  I've hated his style ever since seeing his illustrations for Stephen King's Wizard and Glass.

Well, his 3D/animated artwork is slightly easier to take than the static 2D stuff; in fact the visual style of the film began to grow on me despite the glaring "McKean-isms" that I've always disliked (i.e., the stuff that looks like photo-collage, as well as his sloppy-looking ink drawings such as those illustrating Gaiman's Coraline).  As for the story, it's very Gaiman and is similar to Coraline in a couple of aspects (the Other Mother in a world next door).  But what it reminded me most of is the game Psychonauts which I'm currently playing on Gametap ... main character hates being in the circus, and goes on quests through surreal and bizarre landscapes.  :)

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie but I'm still no fan of McKean.

Just because I didn't think of it earlier... did you like/dislike/tolerate McKean's influence on the Sandman books?  I seem to recall he mainly handled cover art, but I didn't know if that would bug you.  (Or, if you don't care for "graphic novels" - I can't recall.)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:02 AM
Just because I didn't think of it earlier... did you like/dislike/tolerate McKean's influence on the Sandman books?  I seem to recall he mainly handled cover art, but I didn't know if that would bug you.  (Or, if you don't care for "graphic novels" - I can't recall.)

Tolerated McKean's work on Sandman because I mostly didn't see it.  I bought the ten collections that comprise the 75-issue series, so I didn't see the individual covers of each issue -- just the ten anthology covers.  I still find the covers of those to be aesthetically fugly.

The only artwork within the pages of Sandman that I actively disliked was in the "Kindly Ones" story arc.  Too stylized and cartoony for my taste, which was a shame because storywise it was the most intense part of the saga.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:20:45 AM by stePH »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:44:01 AM

Tolerated McKean's work on Sandman because I mostly didn't see it.  I bought the ten collections that comprise the 75-issue series, so I didn't see the individual covers of each issue -- just the ten anthology covers.  I still find the covers of those to be aesthetically fugly.

The only artwork within the pages of Sandman that I actively disliked was in the "Kindly Ones" story arc.  Too stylized and cartoony for my taste, which was a shame because storywise it was the most intense part of the saga.

That's awesome.  I was the exact opposite.  The Kindly Ones was my favorite of the illustrations, followed closely by the Wake and World's End.  There were other arcs where I thought the art was going to be the end of me :)  YMMV, I guess!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:29:10 AM
I have to confess to being a bit of a philistine when it comes to comics.  If I'm noticing your artwork, it's either because your story sucks, or because the artwork is by Alex Ross.

That guy's so awesome, even a thicko like *myself* takes notice!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:48 PM
I have to confess to being a bit of a philistine when it comes to comics.  If I'm noticing your artwork, it's either because your story sucks, or because the artwork is by Alex Ross.

When the artwork is as ugly as McKean's, it's hard not to notice.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:28:37 PM
i love McKean's art work , its rich and tasty and unlike any thing ealse out thare
the mans a genius

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:29:27 PM
i love McKean's art work , its rich and tasty and unlike any thing ealse out thare
the mans a genius

Yeah, I'm aware that I seem to be in the minority with my opinion.  (Obviously Gaiman loves his stuff.)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 03:25:46 AM
the mans a genius

Yeah, I'm aware that I seem to be in the minority with my opinion.  (Obviously Gaiman loves his stuff.)

Well, I didn't want to sound snippy about it, but being "ugly" doesn't mean the same as being "bad".   There is a lot in the Sandman series that is ugly, brutal, and horrible... but I still find the work itself to be deeply beautiful and moving.

Of course, I listen to Tom Waits out of a deep-seated affection for the "ugly" things.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 05:08:36 AM
I loved the movie. The crazy visuals were one of my favorite parts.

I say 'hungry!' now and then myself still {;0P

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 05:14:55 AM
I loved it--completely crazy visuals and a story like Alice in Wonderland on LSD. I espicially liked Valentine.

"But I don't wanna be a waiter!"

;D