Author Topic: A question about used bookstores  (Read 4658 times)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
on: May 04, 2008, 02:43:49 AM
Maybe I'm showing my complete ignorance of how used bookstores work, but...

If I buy a recently published book from a used bookstore, how much (if any) of my money goes to the publisher? 

Is the answer any different if it's a book that was published years ago and had been sitting around on someone's bookshelf for a long time before the used bookstore obtained it?

I'm just curious.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:10:17 AM
None. The publisher gets money from the bookstore when it originally buys the books from the publisher, after that it's property and the used bookstore is just re-selling it with nothing going to the publisher. Now, the original sale/stocking can get a little fuzzy, especially because these days publishers and bookstores have weird deals/fall under the same corporate umbrella (for example, B&N does do some of it's own printing for the "classics", i.e. stuff out of copyright).

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:37:55 AM
Ah.  I'm asking because I read this article on book-swapping websites and I was intrigued by the quote:
Of course, those churches and charity shops that made money from second-hand book sales stand to lose out, as do the publishing industry and authors. "In the music industry, this kind of thing would be called 'file sharing', and technically illegal," the author Jeanette Winterson wrote of book-swapping sites recently.

"Of course I want people to read my books, but I also want people to buy my books."

...which, it seems, ought to apply to used bookstores just as much as book-swapping.  Either way, the publisher isn't getting a cut of the sales.

Note that I am most certainly not saying 'this kind of thing' ought to be illegal!  Most of the books I read these days were found in used bookstores.  And I wouldn't be averse to trying a book-swapping site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:56:02 AM by Boggled Coriander »

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:26:08 AM
Ah.  I'm asking because I read this article on book-swapping websites and I was intrigued by the quote:
Of course, those churches and charity shops that made money from second-hand book sales stand to lose out, as do the publishing industry and authors. "In the music industry, this kind of thing would be called 'file sharing', and technically illegal," the author Jeanette Winterson wrote of book-swapping sites recently.

File-sharing is not the same thing.  If I give away a copy of a book, it is no longer in my possession to be read.  If a bookstore sells me a used copy, it is no longer in their stock to be sold.  The comparison is spurious.  It's more like trading CDs or buying them used.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 05:35:10 AM

I'd argue the publisher got paid up front.  One of the reasons hardcovers and trade paperbacks command a higher price than mass-market paperbacks is that they're more durable -- the more expensive formats "hold their resale" better than the cheaper ones. 

Copyright is literally that: the right to make a copy. As long as you don't copy the contents by reading them into a recorded file or slapping them on a photocopier, you're not violating anyone's rights, even in theory. The physical medium is the property of the whoever buys it. 

As for the comparison with file sharing: What StePH said.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:23:39 PM
If this were illegal then college bookstores would not have done it for decades!

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:08:10 AM
It's called the doctrine of first sale. Once you buy a book or cd from a store you are free to sell it or give it away. You are not free to print additional copies of the material. The used textbook market is a weird case. It creates a sort of arms race where publishers release new editions with small changes frequently to force people to buy new books.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:39 AM
Thanks for the info!  I'm learning something new.

I had another thought about that Jeanette Winterson quote.  If she's got that objection to organized book-swapping, how does she feel about having her books in public libraries?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 12:59:16 PM
Who is Jeanette Winterson, and why should I care?  :P
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:01:57 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:04:33 AM

Who is Jeanette Winterson, and why should I care?  :P

The article idenfies her only as "author" Jeanette Winterson, so I assume this is her.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."